PDA

View Full Version : Help me!!

Francos Accord
10-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Recently, the car has been running really crappy.. It would idle at about 200 rpm, when i would go to step on the accelerator it would almost stall out then sputter back to life and go. Today i get into the car and it starts fine, so i head down to Autozone and get a can of carb cleaner to dump in the gas tank, but it didn't help. When i got home, i started to take a video of what was going on, and it finally died on me. Now it wont start back up. It will crank, but it wont turn over. Its a 89 Lx, carb'd. Can anyone help me out with whats going on? Here is the video of the low idle and the car stalling for the last time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA80TfZ6W2M

Xaisk
10-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Hm.. 200 is way low for idle. I would set your idle speed up a bit higher. Should be around 750 to 800. If it sounds like it is stalling and dieing when you give it gas, you might need to check your float level or fuel pump. If your fuel pump is out no fuel will be getting to the carb which equals a no go. If your float level is set to low, then it will suck the bowl dry of fuel and it wont run.

Those old carbs are really complicated. I would first check out those minor adjustments before working on it. You might have to take it apart and clean it out if that doesnt help.

Francos Accord
10-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Its not the first time the car has done this, I did the same thing a few weeks ago it was fine in the morning, then the afternoon it wouldnt stay running just like the video i just posted. The next day, it was running like nothing happened (idle was normal at 800 no hesitation under acceleration ect...) I dont think adjusting the idle is the problem, but i do think the carb is just that bad? Its the original 21 year old carb that was in the car from brand new, never replaced or rebuilt. Is it a good assumption that i need a new carb?

Xaisk
10-13-2010, 01:41 PM
I wouldnt say you need a new one. But it probally really needs to be cleaned out.

I had the same carb in mine, and I took it apart and cleaned it out good, pulled all the jets out and cleaned them, did everything, checked carb solenoids and all were functional.

A few people have done that and still had issues, however they took out their fuel mixture screw I think it was, and replaced the O ring on it and cleaned the screw off or just got a new one, and it returned it to new.

I replaced mine with a Weber because I had gotten frustrated of fooling with it for a few months.

So take it apart, clean the jets, replace that O ring and screw. If that doesnt help, you might want to wait for a reply for someone who is a little more experianced with that specific carb.

Dr_Snooz
10-13-2010, 02:26 PM
There are members here who know carbs a lot better than I do, but I would overhaul that carb. Tear it down, replace all wear items and check all dash pots and solenoids.