PDA

View Full Version : battery light on, 3k rpm idle, dieseling.

strangfactory
10-18-2010, 07:28 AM
Hey I am Andrew and I have a 86 accord, factory carb, with a 5speed swap from auto.

Within the past month when I start my car the battery light stays on and the car idles between 2k and 3k rpms. At first when I would rev the egine up past 4k rpms the light would go off and stay off at idle 1k rpms. Now it is staying on and the idle is about 3200 rpms. When I turn the car off it diesels and won't stop unless I put it in gear and stop it with the clutch.

If any one has any ideas let me know. This happens when the car is cold and warmed up.

Dr_Snooz
10-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Welcome Andrew. I think you have two things going on here. The battery light indicates a problem in your charging system, most likely a bad alternator.

The dieseling might be your timing, but I'd bet you need a new carb. Try some carb cleaner first but be prepared for a rebuild.

Civic Accord Honda
10-19-2010, 01:05 AM
replace your alternator if the light goes off in a higher rpm then the brushs in the alternator are toast .

and purchase a weber carb and experience the power the a20a can put out and never have to trace over 9000 vac lines again

strangfactory
10-20-2010, 07:41 AM
Thank you for the info. I would love to do a weber carb but it is to expensive.

Xaisk
10-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Carb rebuilds are fun until you find out it doesnt fix the problem. xD