PDA

View Full Version : Engine Problem

Admiral
10-10-2002, 12:57 PM
My car has been leaking coolant internally for a while and I finally asked a shop what it could be. They said that all symptoms pointed to a broken head gasket or a cracked head. I asked me how much it would cost. If the hydrocarbon test comes out positive it would cost me b/t $800 and $1200 and thats only if they end up replacing the headgasket. Its b/c they have to take off the intake and exhaust manifolds, the timing belts, and then they have to put the head into some kind of a machine to check to see if its cracked. ETC. MY QUESTION IS WOULD IT MAYBE BE CHEAPER TO GET A HOLD OF A REBUILT ENGINE AND HAVE THEM DROP IT IN OR FIND ANOTHER CAR? I PAID $1500 FOR MY CAR IM NOT GOING TO SPEND $1200 TO GET IT FIXED.

INPUT WOULD BE APPRICIATED

THANK YOU

Dutchboy
10-10-2002, 02:46 PM
1200$?????????
Holy i think that that is outragous....man i think that there taking you for a ride.

im not sure how much it would cost but you can rebuild the whole engine for that much...

im sure someone heres had a head gasket replaced at a shop before.....
i would figure 3-400$ mabye...the gasket is like 50$ probably...

Not sure but go somewhere else for a estimate...
and dont drive the poor car...

If theres water in the oil your going to scrrew up the bottom end if you dont act quick..

and a replacement engine could be 300$...if your lucky you can find a good one with low miles too.

BEn

89AccordNate
10-10-2002, 05:53 PM
Headgasket jobs are generally pretty expensive. Your not paying for the materials, you are paying for the work involved. It DOES NOT cost $1200.00 that is just outrageous. Look around at other shops and ask them straight up how much it costs. Dont play dumb and go 'deeerrrrrr I dont know whats wrong with it' When they give you a quote, and you decide to go with them....have them put it in writing and sign it so after they arefinished they cant jew you and go "Well, we had to do this this and this and it costs 900$ instead of $600.00"

Dont let them jew you....

Nate.

A20A1
10-13-2002, 12:28 PM
whats the verdict?

BoredRec
10-13-2002, 01:45 PM
Jeez, for $1200 I would expect them to pull the head, mill it, get new gaskets and shit, pop the pistons out and put on new rings and bearings, at the very least put in new valve guides and lap the valves back into place. I think their price is just to cover all the KY Jelly they'll be using on you to replace the head gasket.

Bobs89LXi
10-13-2002, 02:16 PM
I agree. $1200 is a ridiculous price to pay for a head gasket job. For that price you could nearly do an engine overhaul or pick up a decent low miles used engine. Shop around.

jlaccord89lxi
10-13-2002, 04:36 PM
...are you in Canada though? you don't have it in your avatar (?)...........1200 Canadian dollars would make more sense, from a crooked garage. Our dollar sucks compared to american $$$'s

Admiral
10-15-2002, 02:04 PM
Nop, I'm from the USA. I still need to get the hydrocarbon test to confirm its the head or gasket. If it is the head and not a gasket how do i go about finding a rebuilt A20 or is their a nicer engine I can get?

netfreak
10-15-2002, 04:11 PM
Admiral: heater core. It sounds like you have the same problem as I did (and do again...) and everything I've read leads me to believe its the heater core. Take apart your dash and you might be able to spot the problem. For a temporary fix, get some Motomaster coolant leak fix and fill the radiator with it.

A20A1
10-16-2002, 08:58 PM
KY Jelly?