PDA

View Full Version : transmission acting up

rideordie12
10-20-2010, 10:39 PM
So i started my car this afternoon and i noticed a difference in how it shifts (its an auto) when i put it into reverse or drive4.
All of a sudden it jerks into reverse drive AND HARD., The car almost jumps forward or back with full pressure on the brake.
So I am trying to figure out where i should start to diagnose this problem.
Should i do a pressure test on the fourth clutch pressure point on the tranny?
Or is that a waste of time cause its most likely a faulty servo valve?
I have never had to deal with an automatic before (and hopefully not for long)and not really sure where to start.
Thanks in advance for any advice or help!!
OH and i donno if it makes difference but it just started grinding when going from reverse to park also.

Lil Mike
10-20-2010, 11:14 PM
whats your idle at in park/neutral?

rideordie12
10-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Could that really be the problem?? On the other hand i'm not sure what rpm it idles at because i can't figure out how to get the tach to work.
Would the fast idle be what makes it grind going back into park though??
Thanks

Lil Mike
10-21-2010, 09:53 PM
no, but that could cause the car to shift really hard from park to reverse and into drive.

rideordie12
10-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Good to know! thank you! I'll see if adjusting it helps that problem.
Would you have any idea on the grinding issue?
thanks again ill let you know if that fixes the problem.

Dr_Snooz
10-23-2010, 08:34 PM
The basic troubleshooting procedure with an auto is to start by checking the fluid level and condition. Fluid should be bright red and not smell burned. Then check the adjustment of the TV cable. It controls the shift points for the transmission. Set too low and it can make the car feel sluggish and slow. Set too high, it will make the shifting harsh and jerky. If you still have trouble after this, go to a shop and have it flushed. It will run about $100 for the flush, but that's cheaper than a new transmission. If that fails then you are probably looking at a rebuild.

Good luck.