PDA

View Full Version : The best kind of accident

w261w261
10-29-2010, 06:37 PM
I have typical mild rear wheel arch rot on both sides, which I have bondo'd several times, and of course it's kept coming back. I was planning on welding in those arch pieces sometime in the next year or so, but have been hung on how much to repaint when I would do it.

Today, I got gas, and pulled over to the side of the station next to some parked cars to make a call. Next thing I know, there's a CRUNCH from my right rear, where a guy had backed out of a spot without looking, I guess. I was hard to miss, but he did it. Put a great big dent in the rear quarter panel, and as a bonus got the trim to the rear bumper. No door involvement, and the panel moved slightly away from the tail light, but didn't get it either.

So I'm looking at getting a new rear quarter panel and a new bumper. I figure the estimate is going to be about $1200, far enough under the book value so there won't be a hassle. I'll get the left side done at the same time, so now I really have to deal with how much to repaint. Currently, both front fenders, the hood, and the driver's door are somewhat newly repainted. Maybe I'll go with the rear quarters, the trunk, and the left rear door, shouldn't be too bad with the insurance contribution.

And... {the devil is making me think about this next thing}:

If I have a spare right tail light in the basement, it might find it's way onto the car in a smashed state. Those lights last time I checked were $160 from mother Honda.

2drSE-i
10-29-2010, 07:12 PM
I have typical mild rear wheel arch rot on both sides, which I have bondo'd several times, and of course it's kept coming back. I was planning on welding in those arch pieces sometime in the next year or so, but have been hung on how much to repaint when I would do it.

Today, I got gas, and pulled over to the side of the station next to some parked cars to make a call. Next thing I know, there's a CRUNCH from my right rear, where a guy had backed out of a spot without looking, I guess. I was hard to miss, but he did it. Put a great big dent in the rear quarter panel, and as a bonus got the trim to the rear bumper. No door involvement, and the panel moved slightly away from the tail light, but didn't get it either.

So I'm looking at getting a new rear quarter panel and a new bumper. I figure the estimate is going to be about $1200, far enough under the book value so there won't be a hassle. I'll get the left side done at the same time, so now I really have to deal with how much to repaint. Currently, both front fenders, the hood, and the driver's door are somewhat newly repainted. Maybe I'll go with the rear quarters, the trunk, and the left rear door, shouldn't be too bad with the insurance contribution.

And... {the devil is making me think about this next thing}:

If I have a spare right tail light in the basement, it might find it's way onto the car in a smashed state. Those lights last time I checked were $160 from mother Honda.

Just so you know, insurance companies use an appraisal company which values our cars at cash value. They currently view our cars worth around 1350. You will have a LONG fight with them to actually get more than that. What i finally told them is "Find me an SE-i Coupe with under 200,000 miles and no rust, and you can buy it and send it to me." They finally cut me a check for the damages.

2drSE-i
10-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Oh and it took them 4 months to FINALLY cave.

Xaisk
10-30-2010, 08:19 AM
See I think insurance companys are dipS#(@s. They charge the same for my 88 accord for our 99 civic and they would give me less money to repair the car just because its older? Thats bogus. They should give the money for the damn repairs to be made because im paying them the same price as my 99 civic.

I hate insurance companys. greedy mother(#@)#(s

Strugglebucket
10-30-2010, 10:32 AM
When a red light runner clipped off my front bumper, the insurance company totaled my car. I think they gave me $2800, and I fixed the car myself for less than $300. It's actually in better condition now than before the accident.

Having to get a salvage title sucks though.

Bglad420
10-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Some lady changed lanes into my 90 Si Hatch, they gave me just over a grand for the repairs to it. A minor dent on the quarter, and she marred the textured trim on the bumper.

w261w261
10-31-2010, 08:55 AM
The last go around was a new hood, left front fender, bumper cap, paint those + driver's door. $1500. Got a little resistance but chatted up the appraiser and it went through. Any more though and it would have been a hassle.

I'll post the outcome.

Dr_Snooz
10-31-2010, 04:19 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident, but it sounds like it's going to work out alright. Glad for that.

Justin B
11-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Haha, nice! Hope it all works out, man. Send pictures when it's all done and tell us how the tail light thing goes.. :P

w261w261
11-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Here's the update: I couldn't do the tail light thing because my damage was already pushing it. They said at the body shop that they were right at the limit as far as totaling it. Remember this is in Westport, CT where things are pretty expensive. The shop is good but pricey, BBB rating of A+. They did my Passat when a tree top fell on it to the tune of $8k.

The right rear looks like a big rubber hammer took a whack. It has to be pulled out, because a new panel is too much. The guy's bumper just got the trim piece on the top of the rear bumper (yes!), so that's going to be new. Insurance sent me a check for $1,705 with no hassle, but no room to come back to them for more if there's internal damage, which I'm sure there isn't.

I'm getting two new wheel arches from this place: http://www.rustrepair.com/index-mf.html . They're about $40 each, and Carotman has bought one and likes it, which is good enough for me. Also, I'm getting a new front bumper cap while the paint is mixed. The total to fix everything is $3,200, less the $1,700 from the insurance, leaves me with $1,500. I need to talk with them some as to why they want 5 more hours to cut in the right wheel arch when they're already putting a lot of labor into pulling out the panel, so I may get it reduced a bit.

I guess the new injectors will have to wait for a bit.....

phrenology
11-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Here's the update: I couldn't do the tail light thing because my damage was already pushing it. They said at the body shop that they were right at the limit as far as totaling it. Remember this is in Westport, CT where things are pretty expensive. The shop is good but pricey, BBB rating of A+. They did my Passat when a tree top fell on it to the tune of $8k.

The right rear looks like a big rubber hammer took a whack. It has to be pulled out, because a new panel is too much. The guy's bumper just got the trim piece on the top of the rear bumper (yes!), so that's going to be new. Insurance sent me a check for $1,705 with no hassle, but no room to come back to them for more if there's internal damage, which I'm sure there isn't.

I'm getting two new wheel arches from this place: http://www.rustrepair.com/index-mf.html . They're about $40 each, and Carotman has bought one and likes it, which is good enough for me. Also, I'm getting a new front bumper cap while the paint is mixed. The total to fix everything is $3,200, less the $1,700 from the insurance, leaves me with $1,500. I need to talk with them some as to why they want 5 more hours to cut in the right wheel arch when they're already putting a lot of labor into pulling out the panel, so I may get it reduced a bit.

I guess the new injectors will have to wait for a bit.....

Still worth it, of you love your SE-i. :thumbup:

carotman
11-11-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm getting two new wheel arches from this place: http://www.rustrepair.com/index-mf.html . They're about $40 each, and Carotman has bought one and likes it, which is good enough for me.

I'm flattered here :D

I wish you the best luck with the rust repairs. Your car is in really good condition so it's totally worth it!