PDA

View Full Version : NGK wires and Iridium plugs

Xaisk
10-30-2010, 09:26 AM
I just threw in some NGK Iridium IV plugs and NGK wires to go with my MSD SS coil. Im pretty happy with the asthetics and the RPMs go up a bit faster too. =D

4literranger485
10-30-2010, 03:33 PM
which coil do you use?

I just bought an MSD blaster 2 and was now wondering to myself if it's even gonna work!

phrenology
10-30-2010, 03:38 PM
I have an MSD 3 and it works fine. Pico modified the top by pulling off the post to mount the stock coil wire to it.

lostforawhile
10-30-2010, 06:09 PM
I have the GM blaster coil, I was trying to figure out the coil top too, then I figured out it's shaped like a spark plug, the spark plug end of a wire fits perfectly, and the other end plugs into the cap, I have the MSD 6-T, I really don't need the rev limiter , but if i want to add it later I can plug in a soft touch rev control

4literranger485
10-30-2010, 06:10 PM
I have an MSD 3 and it works fine. Pico modified the top by pulling off the post to mount the stock coil wire to it.

would you mind explaining that (for a newb) and/or a pic?

I need to know if i should bother with mine, or just take that sucker back to vato zone :dunno:

lostforawhile
10-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Accel wire turned around backwards, works perfectly, I think these engines do best on plain old NGK V power plugs, the ignition boxes do give you a better spark though, more for a smoother idle and smoother response then horsepower, but I'm sure you pick up a few
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/S4021756.jpg

Xaisk
10-31-2010, 06:23 AM
would you mind explaining that (for a newb) and/or a pic?

I need to know if i should bother with mine, or just take that sucker back to vato zone :dunno:

If you have the Blaster 2 coil then you have what id think is the easiest one to install. They have a guide in the how-to section and it doesnt even take long to install an aftermarket coil.

I dont have the MSD control box thing, just the coil.

I have the SS coil though so I had to modify a mount out of my old mount and a piece of metal. Ill post some pics of it today after I get back from work.

4literranger485
10-31-2010, 06:50 AM
^^ yeah i read that "how-to" before purchasing, but it's for the Accel coil, the Blaster 2 i bought looks just like it so i figured it'd be the same.

I guess i could just go out there and see if the wire fits lol. I was just looking for a little smoother operations, and maybe some easier cold-starts with this carb

lostforawhile
10-31-2010, 07:46 AM
^^ yeah i read that "how-to" before purchasing, but it's for the Accel coil, the Blaster 2 i bought looks just like it so i figured it'd be the same.

I guess i could just go out there and see if the wire fits lol. I was just looking for a little smoother operations, and maybe some easier cold-starts with this carb

I'm going to do a write up on this later, you know the advance diaphram has a retard diaphram right? all you need is a solonoid from an old carb emissions box, one of the ones that releases vaccume when you remove power, and one of the inline check valves, you plumb the valve to manifold with the check valve, and the secondary unused port on the vaccume advance to the valve, the manifold side of the valve has to go to the unvented side or you'll have a vaccume leak, the solonoid wires to the start circuit, now when you start the car, it will retard the timing to make it eaisier to start, if you have the factory carb setup all there, this is already working