PDA

View Full Version : Feeler thread: 1989 Honda Accord LX

russiankid
10-31-2010, 04:44 PM
The world moves on and things change. I've been contemplating letting go of the Accord for a while now. The car has been in the family since 2002, and many on this board know the extensive amount of work that is in this car as far as maintenance and small upgrades. I daily this car to school and work, but up keeping two cars is starting to get hectic. I have a newer car which is almost to where I want it to be, and with me moving away to college I could use the money. So this is just a feeler thread to see if there is any interest as I want to let this car go to someone on this board so it can keep ticking.

Now some info on the car.

Basics:
1989 Honda Accord
192k miles
5-speed
Laguna Gold with "doo doo brown" interior.

In the last 50k miles, the car has received new:
-Exedy Clutch(rear main seal also done with Honda seal)
-Flywheel
-Axle seals
-Axles
-Rack and pinion
-Outer tie rods (not even 2k miles on them)
-Upper and lower ball joints
-Lower control arm bushings
-Sway bar bushings
-Gates timing belt with tensioner, water pump, crank seal (with Honda seal), camshaft seal, oil pump seals, all new belts, thermostat, thermostat housing.
-Heater hoses, radiator hoses, radiator, and ALL hoses under the intake manifold
-Power steering pump rebuild
-Honda oil pan and oil pan gasket
-Valve cover gasket
-Carb top hat and base gasket
-Clutch cable
-Hawk front brake pads and rotors (not even 5k on them)
-All 4 calipers rebuilt with new seals, bushings, boots, etc. Along with all new hoses
-Front wheel studs
-All engine mounts
-Shifter bushings
-Rear upper control arms
-Exhaust from manifold back
-Starter
-New Honda taillight seals AND trunk seal. Some may know this is pricey
-Good condition Kuhmo all season tires
-Fuel pump
-Rubber fuel lines

Upgrades:
-Honda vent visors. Passenger front is cracked, but its glued together and holds. All others are perfect
-Rear disk brakes. These have rebuilt calipers which completely rebuilt E-brake mechanisms inside. Everything was done properly and has never gave me problems.
-LX-i front and rear sway bars.
-Center consol arm rest
-SE-i steering wheel with audio controls(not hooked up, but contains SE-i slip ring)
-Hella H4 conversion headlights
-Pioneer 3-way speakers all the way with a Pioneer headunit
-Auto up/down drivers window
-Custom fog light switch that was made out of a cruise control switch so it looks factory.

Some more general info:
The car fires up in any weather, it has never let me down and I trust it to make a long distance trip. The A/C blows cold, and it has not been tampered with since June of 1989 when the car was built. It has received two cans of R12 since the factory charge and has no problems. Heater works great, along with all the electronics. Would also like to add that the combo switch has been rebuilt because with age the grease and contacts get dirty so you get poor operation.

Now the bad:
The clear coat on the trunk, near the gas filler door, and near the rear drivers door is pealing. The car has some dings and dents but not to many for its age. The front is chipped up from being a daily car all its life, but it still looks good for its age. The interior is in great shape, however, the rear headrests are fading because of sun damage. The front seals are in perfect shape as I have seat covers on them to "preserve" them. It has the typical rust on the rear quarter and under the rear tail light. However, it is not bad and that is the ONLY rust on this car.

It could use new struts and springs as they're basically blown. However the car doesn't bounce, they just rattle on heavier bumps.

I am asking $1500 for the car. There are not many 3g's out there in this condition, considering this one is driven 500+ miles a week without any problems.

Pictures:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/Accord/DSCF0277.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/Accord/DSCF0278.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/Accord/DSCF0279.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/Accord/S6302398.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/Accord/S6302399.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/Rear%20disc%20brakes/004.jpg

Forgot to mention the car is inspected till August 2011. It has a new cat on it, but it still has higher NOX readings, but everything else is perfect. NOX can be caused by the EGR system, I did not dig into it as if you just warm up the car it will pass. This car was also never in any accidents. You can check this with either Carfax or if you look at all the parts, none of them have ever been tampered with.

Civic Accord Honda
10-31-2010, 06:52 PM
hopefully someone keeps her clean

Pico
10-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Goodluck Sam.
I just got rid of the 88 today

russiankid
11-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks guys. I don't want to let it go, but no point in keeping two cars.

gojrracing
11-01-2010, 03:19 PM
good luck with the sale

Justin B
11-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Hey! I think I've seen a video of you on YouTube just driving around for 10 minutes. Was that you? :P

Toneloc5145
11-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Same problem that I battled with as a current college student with (then) two cars. Good luck with the sale and I hope it goes to a good home. I can tell you that you'll miss it a lot, but I'm sure you know this already.

russiankid
11-01-2010, 04:35 PM
good luck with the sale
Thanks.

Hey! I think I've seen a video of you on YouTube just driving around for 10 minutes. Was that you? :P
Yeah I have a driving video on there. Probably me, user name is 89hondalx

Same problem that I battled with as a current college student with (then) two cars. Good luck with the sale and I hope it goes to a good home. I can tell you that you'll miss it a lot, but I'm sure you know this already.

Thanks. It really isn't the money issue that is urging me to sell the car. It is more of planning for the future as when I move out I won't bring both my cars with me. I spent a lot more time and money on my BMW which is why I want to keep it. The 3g has treated my brother, my father, and myself well and it still treats me well. However, time to move on.

visal911
03-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Nice 3gee. Good luck with the sale man.

Which engine does the e34 have? Any pics?

lostforawhile
03-14-2011, 10:07 PM
wish I had the money, It would be nice to own a stock one too,

charliekuney
03-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Which engine does the e34 have? Any pics?

525i, therefore 2.5L I6. ;)

russiankid
03-16-2011, 07:10 PM
The E34 had an M50 in it but I sold the car. I am keeping the 3G now and I may have some plans for it this summer.