PDA

View Full Version : rust in cylinders

neo_blue_accord
11-01-2010, 12:18 AM
I have surface rust in my cylinders and was wondering if I use emory cloth if it would be ok. The engine has 224,898 miles on it. Should I rebuild it instead?

cygnus x-1
11-01-2010, 09:50 AM
I have surface rust in my cylinders and was wondering if I use emory cloth if it would be ok. The engine has 224,898 miles on it. Should I rebuild it instead?

Depends on the rust. If it's just flash rust then you can probably clean it up with some very fine sandpaper (like 1000 grit). If it's pitted though it will need a rebore. The other question is whether the cylinders are still in spec for wear. Unless you have the measuring tools to do it you should probably take it to a machine shop and have them look it over. With that kind of mileage you might as well do a rebuild.

C|

2drSE-i
11-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Emery Cloth, to more directly answer your question (Not that cygnus is in any way wrong) will be far too rough. It will scuff up your cylinder walls (more than they already are with that kind of mileage) too rough. Like Cygnus said, a rebuild is most likely your best course.

Ichiban
11-01-2010, 12:04 PM
You have the head off for some reason I imagine? I recommend a 3M scotchbrite pad, and a bit of light oil. When the rust is gone, wipe up all the oil until the cylinder is clean, then re-oil to prevent future rust.

neo_blue_accord
11-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah I was gonna rebuild it anyway but lately I have been thinkin about just getting it running again. A rebuild would be better since I know who owned the car before me and they don't check or change oil often.

neo_blue_accord
01-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Here's a pic of how the cylinders look.
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/1236/1112010004.th.jpg (http://img600.imageshack.us/i/1112010004.jpg/)

88Accord-DX
01-07-2011, 06:37 PM
From the looks of them pics, use some scotch brite & PB Laster, as long as the walls aren't pitted. Longer you let it sit like that, worse it will get. (since this thread is from last year):stick:

You might want to consider rebuilding it since the engine has 225K miles on it & you have it broke down that far...What typically happens in this kind of situation, a person has the cylinder head rebuilt & slaps it on, then the old piston rings can't handle it & start to go out. Anyhow, good luck with it & keep us udated.

1813mdw
01-07-2011, 07:05 PM

rebuild. then keep up maintnance on it and you'll know you're good for another300,000+ miles. a fresh start is always nice(especially w/previous owners oilchange habits) and its already tore down partially. :wave:

neo_blue_accord
01-08-2011, 07:41 AM
I figured that. Now the question is keep it and rebuild it or sell it and buy a diesel truck. I kind feel like an idiot now cause I myself, if this came in the shop I would say rebuild. At least it's not like this tractor that came in that had a head full of mud and water and diesel. Yeah once that head came off it was shit nasty lol.

Dr_Snooz
01-08-2011, 08:26 AM
What overall condition is the 3g in? If it's relatively decent, then rebuild. If not or if you are planning to ditch it anyway, then I would say avoid the expense of rebuilding.

neo_blue_accord
01-10-2011, 03:18 PM
well I gutted out the interior cause the carpet was tore up. The seats are in fair condition. The paint is peeling. There is rust and there are some dents. This car was bought from a stoner. my friend bought it and he raced it then I bought it as a project. It is going to need a new clutch sometime soon too. And the brakes are going to need to be fixed too.

Dr_Snooz
01-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Go car shopping. You might find a better base for a project and have something that runs to boot. You don't want to spend a fortune to get a POS running, so you can spend another several fortunes making it decent. It doesn't make sense.

lostforawhile
01-10-2011, 08:20 PM
why not get another like it, and part this one out for parts for the new one? you just bought the parts car first

neo_blue_accord
01-11-2011, 10:39 PM
I've decided to get rid of it. I have my truck that I use more. Granted it's hard on gas but it fits me better.:devil: