PDA

View Full Version : Cold and wet weather --- no idle

pink_sleeve
11-04-2010, 02:33 AM
The car is an 89 DX. It ran fine until it got down to 32 degrees overnight and now the car won't idle even though the daytime weather is still reaching 50. I have read all i can on here but i'm not sure where i should start with this. I don't know anything about carbs what so ever but i am willing to learn. I am mechanical and can read diagrams if that helps. Is it not idling because the carb needs a rebuild? (Is there really 7 different stock carb variations in 89) The tube that runs off the manifold back up to the airbox is in place so idk if it's icing over? I think the car is in need of a brake booster...will this cause a no idle at all problem? Or do i have a leak in a vacuum hose or is one of the many things the vaccum hoses hooked up to malfunctioning? IDK how to pin point the problem i guess if what i am saying. Any help would be appreciated.

Denis
11-04-2010, 06:05 AM
Greetings) try to clean the carburetor, and check up on an air inflow or as needles in the carburetor work

Dr_Snooz
11-04-2010, 02:23 PM
If you have a big vacuum leak through the brake booster, that will definitely affect the idle.

Oldblueaccord
11-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Check to make sure your choke is open. Its the plate that covers the carb opening when its cold. It might be hung closed or not opening enough when your car warms up.

wp

pink_sleeve
11-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Well I have tried carb cleaner and tried looking for obvious vacuum leaks with really no luck. I could only get the car to stay running for now by messing with the throttle cable and now it runs but if It has to be at atleast 1500 rpm or it stalls out. It still idles way down on the breaks sometimes to a stall and it also dies on hard right turns but is fine on lefts???? I am guessing the brake booster is going bad but can this alone cause the no idle problem and I am clueless as to why it dies on hard right hand turns?

Dr_Snooz
11-08-2010, 10:59 PM
If the booster needs to be replaced, then replacing it will tell you if it's the problem. They don't go bad very often, so a junkyard replacement might be a good option.