PDA

View Full Version : OBX Header Only Has One O2 Bung?

Shilo
11-07-2010, 01:18 AM
I'm looking into getting a header and about the only choices are either Pace Setter or the OBX ones that recently showed up on eBay. I'm leaning more toward the OBX one since it is stainless, but i noticed that it only has one O2 bung. The original EFI manifold uses two side by side, and I see that the Pace Setter header has two bungs. If I go with the OBX one is there a way to delete one of the O2 sensors or move it (my test pipe has a bung) without throwing a CEL?

Vanilla Sky
11-07-2010, 05:38 AM
Is your parts car an 86/87 or an 88/89?

I saw that you're using an 89 as your parts car.

I don't think moving the one sensor downstream would really effect things much. If it does, you might end up having to weld a bung in the header.

Do you have inspection in your county in VA? Would not having the second O2 sensor where it should be cause an issue during inspection?

Shilo
11-07-2010, 06:22 AM
Is your parts car an 86/87 or an 88/89?

I saw that you're using an 89 as your parts car.

I don't think moving the one sensor downstream would really effect things much. If it does, you might end up having to weld a bung in the header.

Do you have inspection in your county in VA? Would not having the second O2 sensor where it should be cause an issue during inspection?

A yearly safety inspection is required, but I highly doubt that moving the O2 sensor would would be a problem (the guy I take my cars too pretty much just checks horn, lights, signals, and checks the right front wheel for wheel bearing/ball joint play). I'm thinking that moving it might be my best option, or I could go with the Pace Setter header or keep the stock manifold.

Anyone else have anymore ideas?

Vanilla Sky
11-07-2010, 06:50 AM
I'd keep the stock LXi manifold until it's running right and upgrade later. That gives you the chance to move the sensor down stream without investing in a header that might give you problems with that sensor.

4literranger485
11-07-2010, 07:31 AM
if you really want the OBX, it shouldn't be terribly expensive to weld a bung in. i welded one into the collector of my bro-chacho's camaro for a six pack, and the bung was only a few bucks :shrug

lostforawhile
11-07-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm looking into getting a header and about the only choices are either Pace Setter or the OBX ones that recently showed up on eBay. I'm leaning more toward the OBX one since it is stainless, but i noticed that it only has one O2 bung. The original EFI manifold uses two side by side, and I see that the Pace Setter header has two bungs. If I go with the OBX one is there a way to delete one of the O2 sensors or move it (my test pipe has a bung) without throwing a CEL?

you can buy a bung for around five dollars from summit, and anybody who can weld stainless can weld it to the header in a couple of minutes, don't worry about the bung not being stainless, it's heavy enough, it's never going to rust through. non stainless will weld just fine to stainless.

import racer
11-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Just wondering,why do we have two O2 sensors anyway.