PDA

View Full Version : Battery relocation question

import racer
11-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Ok i want to put the bat in the trunk,I want to know if i can connect the bat cable and the white wire from the fuse panel to the starter.Will this work or should i do it differently.

Pico
11-07-2010, 01:50 PM
I used a fused junction block.
On one end the cable from the starter and the wire from the fuse panel are connected, the other side is the cable from the trunk.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost.php?p=757927&postcount=249

import racer
11-08-2010, 11:03 AM
I haven't seen those around here,do i need to do it this way.So the way i wanted to do it won't work?

Pico
11-08-2010, 11:21 AM
I used one for safety, that way is something were to happen the fuse would go first and the cable would not be damaged

import racer
11-08-2010, 05:32 PM
I'll keep looking for one,not gonna do this til spring anyway.

lostforawhile
11-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Ok i want to put the bat in the trunk,I want to know if i can connect the bat cable and the white wire from the fuse panel to the starter.Will this work or should i do it differently.

you probably need a junction block, also they make high amp circuit breakers for 12 volt systems, I have a Buss one in my battery box, you also need to fuse the alternator, remember if you have the battery cable running through the car, you have two sources of current, feeding both ends of the cable, the battery breaker may blow, but the alternator is still feeding current into a short. I have one of those clear inline stereo fuses for the alternator. I found one of these in a truck in the yard, i'll be using it for a junction point. http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/S4021816.jpg

import racer
11-09-2010, 11:41 AM
I was gonna leave the alt wire factory,meaning going through the fuse box or should i run heavier wire from alt to the bat using a junction block.

Civic Accord Honda
11-09-2010, 12:12 PM
i wanted to relocate mine but dont want to run in to trouble at the auto X

lostforawhile
11-09-2010, 12:51 PM
I was gonna leave the alt wire factory,meaning going through the fuse box or should i run heavier wire from alt to the bat using a junction block.

I would, that wire has always seemed small to carry 63 amps, you are losing current in the resistance of the smaller wire anyway, a lot of people on here have had problems with it. i would go to 6 gauge. I would say thats about six feet of wie in the harness, estimating up, lets say 70 amps to simplfy the calculations, that puts it right between 8 gauge and 4 gauge, if you can find a length of six gauge battey cable, thats about right, it's best to go on the larger side

AccordEpicenter
11-09-2010, 01:02 PM
why do you want to relocate the battery anyway?

lostforawhile
11-09-2010, 01:30 PM
why do you want to relocate the battery anyway?

most people it's for weight distribution, you also take the battery away from heat and vibration, or to put in an intake, in my case the oil cooler is in the way, my odyssey also saves me 20 pounds

import racer
11-09-2010, 04:07 PM
I want to make room for a cold air intake,I welded up a tray out of angle with tabs that i will weld some threaded rod to bolt it down.gonna use an optima probably without a box.should be strong enough .

import racer
11-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Should i run the cable from the alt to the fuse box like factory or to the junction box then to the bat.

cygnus x-1
11-09-2010, 05:01 PM
you probably need a junction block, also they make high amp circuit breakers for 12 volt systems, I have a Buss one in my battery box, you also need to fuse the alternator, remember if you have the battery cable running through the car, you have two sources of current, feeding both ends of the cable, the battery breaker may blow, but the alternator is still feeding current into a short. I have one of those clear inline stereo fuses for the alternator. I found one of these in a truck in the yard, i'll be using it for a junction point.

There should already be a fusible link for the alternator in the fuse box, so no need to add another one.

For the battery; the best thing would be to put a junction block where the battery used to be. To this block connect the starter wire, the fuse block wire, and the wire to the battery in the trunk. The wire to the battery in the trunk needs a fuse or breaker as close to the battery as possible. This is for safety if the battery cable ever contacts the body (like in an collision).

Keep in mind, if you ever intend to take the car to a drag strip or use it for any other sanctioned racing you may not pass tech inspection with the battery in the trunk. They will probably require that you have an external cut off switch accessible from the outside of the car.

C|

lostforawhile
11-09-2010, 07:22 PM
There should already be a fusible link for the alternator in the fuse box, so no need to add another one.

For the battery; the best thing would be to put a junction block where the battery used to be. To this block connect the starter wire, the fuse block wire, and the wire to the battery in the trunk. The wire to the battery in the trunk needs a fuse or breaker as close to the battery as possible. This is for safety if the battery cable ever contacts the body (like in an collision).

Keep in mind, if you ever intend to take the car to a drag strip or use it for any other sanctioned racing you may not pass tech inspection with the battery in the trunk. They will probably require that you have an external cut off switch accessible from the outside of the car.

C|as far as I know the alternator is directly connected to the battery buss with no fuse, I'll have to check, I know mine would pass inspection if needed, all i need to do is add the cutoff switch, remember if you have an alternator, you need a cutoff switch that also turns off the alternator

JDMPrelude23
12-14-2010, 06:12 AM
I took like a 4guage power wire and ran it through the carpet to the trunk.. 1 side to the battery (duh), the other i connected to the positive wire from the fuse box, and the other positive wire from the starter, i had all 3 connected wit a bolt. Wrapped it in electrical tape so it wont touch ground no where, and i was good to go..... and then of course u cud mount ground on one of the rear strut bolts... wish i had a pic but yea, i think u cud jus imagine how i set it up lol