PDA

View Full Version : Alternator???

RandyAM
11-09-2010, 08:45 AM
so, after MONTHS of waiting, i finally got the accord.

It had been sitting since before march, so the interior, is just filled woth mold and mildew. no biggie, im replacing everything anyways.

one thing im noticing tho. if i bring it past 3000 revs, the battery indicator starts to flicker. is that the alternator? it starts without any trouble or anything, so thats why im a bit confused.

Xaisk
11-09-2010, 12:36 PM
If your light goes off when revving or going above a certain RPM then your alt is dieing.

Your alt might be supplying enough electricity to power the battery at lower RPMs, but higher RPMs drain it more, so it has to supply more, and if it cant supply enough the light will come on.

So to me, it does sound like your alt needs to be replaced, but it could also be a bad ground. Look up The big 3. Still need to finish doing my Big 3 mod too.

lostforawhile
11-09-2010, 02:04 PM
it might just be the brushes, thats what usually goes on this alternator, there are how to's on replacing them on here, it's not bad to do, as the rpm's go up they make worse and worse contact

RandyAM
11-09-2010, 03:22 PM
i was thinking it was the alt

thanks for the confirmation guys

RandyAM
11-09-2010, 07:48 PM
**update**

yeah, the brushes are f***ed in the alt, so a buddy of mine is gunna rebuild it for me for dirt cheap.

glad i got it fixed now

gp02a0083
11-09-2010, 08:29 PM
had the brushes go in my 87 lxi , i just ended up replacing the alternator after the original one was in there for 20+ years and 170k + miles. You can probably increase the electrical contact between the brushes and the commutator of the alternator. All you would have to do with the new brushes is adjust the spring tension so that there even and the most important thing is to radius the brushes to seat properly. this will allow the best possible "contact" patch between the brush and the comm.

lostforawhile
11-09-2010, 09:51 PM
is that the same as the us lxi? someone on here is selling one cheap right now brand new

lostforawhile
11-09-2010, 09:53 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74276

RandyAM
11-09-2010, 11:42 PM
i reallllyy wish i had some money right now. canadian currency is about par lol

Hauntd ca3
11-10-2010, 12:24 AM
it really just sounds like brushes to me.
its only if the light dosnt go out until you rev it is when you worry.
that generally means the rectifier has died.
the denso alts are pretty dam reliable eh.
its never usually more than brushes and bearings.
my 5g Sir has 234k on the dial and the brushes are barely half worn

RandyAM
11-10-2010, 11:11 PM
it was the brushes and the voltage regulator.

we rebuilt the whole thing, and my mechanic backed it with his personal 5 year warranty

im stoked, the thing is like bullet proof now.