PDA

View Full Version : '89 LX Automatic Jerks When Switching Gears

tyrandan2
11-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Is this normal? Should I check the tranny fluid (Don't know where that is lol)? A mechanic friend told me it's not good to change the tranny fluid in a car so old, but he said I could top it off if it got low. What do you guys think?

HERBERT
11-09-2010, 02:40 PM
did it just recently start doing this cuz i think i remember hearing that alot of older hondas with automatic transmissions shift hard

charliekuney
11-09-2010, 03:12 PM
^ 1990-1993 did this.

You will be fine changing the fluid. I think on these cars there is a little dip stick on the transmission. Or, I could be completely wrong and thinking of a different car.

ONLY USE HONDA FLUIDS.

tyrandan2
11-09-2010, 07:53 PM
@Herbert, I just got the Honda yesterday :) So idk.

@Charlie Okay, I will pop the hood tomorrow and have a look, thanks.

gp02a0083
11-09-2010, 08:22 PM
i ended up flushing the trans fluid on my 89 lxi hatch at 57,xxx miles was shifting really rough before, now i flushed it twice with AZ-1 honda fluid. Now it shifts fine. It also could be a TV cable adjustment too. But listen to the other members about the honda fluids for things like this. My 87 lxi hatch does not shift as firm and positive as the one in my 89 even after this was rebuilt about a year ago.

just make sure you have the fluid level correct, if you have too little or too much fluid you can do some serious damage to the trans

tyrandan2
11-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Hmm, Well my car has about 298,xxx miles on it... so do you still think it is safe to change? lol

Hauntd ca3
11-10-2010, 12:28 AM
if you are use to old shit box th350 or th400 trannies, then the honda trannies are quite harsh in the shift
its just the nature on not having a wanky planetary trans.
the honda trannies are essentially a manual but instead on syncros hubs they have a clutch pack. the gear engagement is quicker than a normal auto and so they feel a bit harsh in the shift

tyrandan2
11-10-2010, 08:56 AM
if you are use to old shit box th350 or th400 trannies, then the honda trannies are quite harsh in the shift
its just the nature on not having a wanky planetary trans.
the honda trannies are essentially a manual but instead on syncros hubs they have a clutch pack. the gear engagement is quicker than a normal auto and so they feel a bit harsh in the shift

Aha I see. That's clever.

gp02a0083
11-10-2010, 10:16 AM
id be leery on swapping the fluid with that many miles. Sometimes its best to leave it alone. If you were gonna swap the fluid it would probably be in your best intrest to change the trans filter, but that's a pain to do

2oodoor
11-10-2010, 10:56 AM
id be leery on swapping the fluid with that many miles. Sometimes its best to leave it alone. If you were gonna swap the fluid it would probably be in your best intrest to change the trans filter, but that's a pain to do

there is no filter! well there is a small screen but hardly a service item on these...
They also don't have the same kind of valve body or servos as the old TH350 etc etc... so really there is not much risk in changing the fluid, not the same mindset of experiences compared to typical automatics such as disturbing seals or loosening up some matter inside the tranny by changing to clean fluid.

To add to this, your newer automatics absolutley must have the fluid changed or they will start acting up pretty soon after 50k miles.

CzEcHy
11-10-2010, 04:39 PM
I just drain and fill my fluid, do it like 3ish times and it should be almost 100% new fluid.

That and stick a magnet in the hole after you drain, collect all the metal crap inside your transmission (it's usually liquefied)

I'm at 260,8xx miles and it made a day and night difference with my transmission - great shifting, smooth, etc.. No downsides.

tyrandan2
11-10-2010, 09:59 PM
I just drain and fill my fluid, do it like 3ish times and it should be almost 100% new fluid.

That and stick a magnet in the hole after you drain, collect all the metal crap inside your transmission (it's usually liquefied)

I'm at 260,8xx miles and it made a day and night difference with my transmission - great shifting, smooth, etc.. No downsides.

Great, how many miles has it been since you changed it? Just curious