PDA

View Full Version : Retarded Temperature! HELP!!

JDMPrelude23
11-11-2010, 09:43 AM
I have an 89 accord lxi... I was leavin this Mornin to work and I noticed as my car was warming up that it was takin pretty long to warm up. So I left anyways cuz I was runnin late. As I got like 3 blocks up I noticed my temperature gauge is still on Cold. So wen I came to a red light it slowly went up maybe a few centimeters and then wen I started Drivin it slowly went bak to Cold. Stop at a red light and did the same thing... Got on the highway and it stood on cold until I got off the exit and got to a red light... Idk wat the hell is goin on, any ideas???????!!!??

Xaisk
11-11-2010, 10:00 AM
When did you last replace the temp sensor? It might be old and worn.

88Accord-DX
11-11-2010, 07:32 PM
I'd check the temp. of the radiator hoses on top & bottom first after it gets to operating temp. & then check back with us.

w261w261
11-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Were you getting hot air from the heater? If you weren't, probably the thermostat is stuck open. The thermostat is a temperature-controlled valve that directs the coolant through the radiator, or keeps it cycling through the block only. If it sticks open, particularly when it's cold out, the coolant takes a long time to get warm because it's going through the radiator.

If the heater is blowing hot air, that means your coolant is hot as it should be, and a sensor is probably bad.

I'd bet on the thermostat. It's not a hard fix, and much better that it sticks open rather than closed, because if it sticks closed you can overheat quickly.

Dr_Snooz
11-11-2010, 08:40 PM
x2 on the thermostat.

car6289
11-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Antifreeze low?

gp02a0083
11-12-2010, 10:26 AM
x2 on the thermostat.

X3 on the thermostat, also the temp sensor could be lazy and not reading correctly.

w261w261
11-12-2010, 12:16 PM
If your thermostat is shot, it's probably messed up from gunk in the coolant. How does the coolant look? Rusty? You should probably flush the system and replace with fresh antifreeze. Hint: buy Peak or whatever coolant is dark colored, so you can see the level in the overflow bottle better. You are checking the level in the overflow bottle aren't you? And while you're at it, how are the hoses?

Fluid management is the number one job in an old car.

JDMPrelude23
11-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Thankz for ya feedback... For some reason it only did it that 1 day.. but i aint takin no chances, i havent checked the thermostat but ima change it anywayz... The dude that had the car before me used water for like the whole summer so like it was pretty brown and rusty in the radiator,. i started usin coolant tho so its gettin alil better... And the temp sensor ima buy a new one too... the car is an 89 so i kno i have to make new alot of things due to its age....... ill keep ya posted!