PDA

View Full Version : no heat getting colder out!

parkersnine
11-13-2010, 04:55 AM
Have a 1988 DX. The heat was working several months ago after a complete tear down and rebuild. My son took a part part of the dash to install a stereo(may be coincidence) and the lack of heat not determined until cold weather has arrived. The fan blows cold, The lever that slides from cool(blue) to heat(red) was jammed and I was able to get it moving but still no heat. The thermostat is new and is a Honda relacement. I guess the core could be clogged but I would think some heat would come through if obstructed. I also know there is a lever @ the firewall were the heater hoses come in from the engine. Could that be malfunctioning to keep the warm coolant from routing into the core?

w261w261
11-13-2010, 09:46 AM
That lever is the heater control valve. From your description it might have been frozen, and possibly the cable connection to the temperature contol lever could now be broken.

Take off some of the stuff so you can reach the control valve. See what happens when someone inside the car moves the temperature lever. If the end of the cable in the engine compartment doesn't move try disconnecting the cable and manually moving the valve lever and see if that helps. You may have to disconnect the valve and see if it's allowing flow.

Once you proof the valve the next thing is a blocked heater core. Sounds to me like the valve has the problem.

nswst8
11-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Don't forget the cable on the heater hose open/close valve. It's just where the heater hoses go into the firewall to the heater core. It's easy first look fix. Pop the hood look at the heater hoses make sure the cable is attached to the valve.

Xaisk
11-13-2010, 04:37 PM
It sounds like you might not have hooked up the heater valves "bike pedal brake line cable" vack to the valve. If you go into your engine bay, near the firewall you should see a gray valve with 2 heater hoses going into it. If it doesn't havr that "bike brake line cable" going into it, then that would answer your question. If not, that little valve itself might not be turning. Take it apart and clean it, and lubricate it. If no help, then check the core itself. Start cheap and move up!

lostforawhile
11-13-2010, 05:29 PM
make sure the loop on the end of that cable going to the heat control valve, the one under the hood, is on there, it can slip off

RandyAM
11-13-2010, 06:13 PM
i have a solution!!

get a 1000watt power inverted and a block heater! lol

Dr_Snooz
11-13-2010, 10:38 PM
I suspect your son disconnected/damaged the heat lever cable when installing the stereo.

88Accord-DX
11-13-2010, 10:43 PM
I agree with Beavis ^^^ eeh, eeh, eh,ehh, eehh. eehh

Seriously, if he has taken the dash out - there is a cable he probably didn't fastened down right. (especially above the radio) As mentioned, make sure the valve on the firewall moves too.

parkersnine
11-14-2010, 06:00 PM
Thank you all for the responses.It will be awhile before I have time to be in the garage to work on it. Will update as I attempt to use the information provided .

lostforawhile
11-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Thank you all for the responses.It will be awhile before I have time to be in the garage to work on it. Will update as I attempt to use the information provided .

go out there, look under the hood at the heat control valve, attached to the firewall, look at the cable attached to it, now turn the lever in the car from hot to cold/or vise versa, look at the cable again, see if it moved, or if the loop is over the lever. it will take you less then five minutes, this will help a lot in the diagnosis

RandyAM
11-19-2010, 08:35 PM
karma caught up too me with my smart ass answer....now MY heater doesnt work.

it was working this morning, 2 hours later, nothing. no fan, no nothing. the lever is moving, so maybe is it a fuse?

what do i have to take apart on my dash to get to the lever?

88Accord-DX
11-19-2010, 09:00 PM
it was working this morning, 2 hours later, nothing. no fan, no nothing. the lever is moving, so maybe is it a fuse?

If your fan blower isn't working & just stopped, start with fuse, relay, & grounds. As old as these cars are, it might save you some time & hook 12V straight to the blower motor & see if it runs.

RandyAM
11-19-2010, 10:11 PM
If your fan blower isn't working & just stopped, start with fuse, relay, & grounds. As old as these cars are, it might save you some time & hook 12V straight to the blower motor & see if it runs.

hmmm....to find the blower motor.....

86-lxi
11-20-2010, 06:09 AM
I have the same problem, sometimes it works (blows hot/warm) sometimes it doesn't. Have no idea what it is. I just had my coolant flushed and topped off so that isn't the problem

car6289
11-20-2010, 11:41 AM
hmmm....to find the blower motor.....

If the front passenger's right foot had eyes, those eyes would see where the blower motor is with their right foot pointed upward. (behind glove box)

RandyAM
11-20-2010, 07:06 PM
so i should just rip the glove box out?

88lxi-shortram
11-20-2010, 07:30 PM
no do not "rip it out"
remove the self tapping screws and glove box lower cover. remove screws and glove box.

Dr_Snooz
11-20-2010, 09:12 PM

LOL. P. 22-7 of those Russian manuals you found details how to remove the blower fan. :D

car6289
11-20-2010, 11:28 PM

Personally, I'd pull out the passenger seat and work up from under the dash. For me it's easier to work under the dash with either/both front seat(s) removed.

lostforawhile
11-20-2010, 11:29 PM
Personally, I'd pull out the passenger seat and work up from under the dash. For me it's easier to work under the dash with either/both front seat(s) removed.

all thats holding in the glove box are screws

RandyAM
11-20-2010, 11:35 PM
no do not "rip it out"
remove the self tapping screws and glove box lower cover. remove screws and glove box.

haha yeah, thats what i meant by rip it out

JDMPrelude23
12-14-2010, 05:58 AM
Lol @ rip off glove box..... This thread helped me alot, now I know wat to look for to fix my heat.
Mine is weird tho cuz if I dnt have coolant in my radiator my heat blows cold, and wen I put coolant it blows lukewarm, it's not even warm enuff, I still have to wear gloves lol.. I changed my thermostat too and still. So yea I'ma check that lever and heater core thing ya talkin about

86-lxi
12-20-2010, 09:13 AM
I have HEAT! Just went out and checked and my temp adjuster wasn't connected, hooked it up let the car warm up for a min and it kept getting hotter:jaw: lol I don't have to freeze in the morning anymore:flip:

car6289
12-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Excellent news. A simple fix that cost you nothing but some of your time.

lostforawhile
12-20-2010, 10:50 AM
I have HEAT! Just went out and checked and my temp adjuster wasn't connected, hooked it up let the car warm up for a min and it kept getting hotter:jaw: lol I don't have to freeze in the morning anymore:flip:

post 10 :cheers:

car6289
12-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Lost: There is a smile missing. If some creative individual/group could create a "Pat oneself on the back" smile. This smile would be justified in its use in this case and many others on this forum.:cheers:

lostforawhile
12-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Lost: There is a smile missing. If some creative individual/group could create a "Pat oneself on the back" smile. This smile would be justified in its use in this case and many others on this forum.:cheers:

i don't know why there isn't a retainer on that little loop on the valve, it can slip right off.

car6289
12-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Should be relatively easy to install some sort of retainer. ie: a circlip or something similar.