PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Rebuild Question.

drm2169
11-13-2010, 07:45 PM
im doing a rebuild in a week or so and was wondering if you guys ran into problems while doing it? i have a 88 accord lxi 2 door coupe 5speed. any other suggestions are welcome. i took the whole weekend off to do it. thanx in advanced.

RandyAM
11-13-2010, 08:04 PM
i got a suggestion. give yourself more time. a weekend possibly wont be enough.

88Accord-DX
11-13-2010, 09:05 PM
I have only busted into the outer part of the manual transmission. I would say get a good book (OEM) on the break-down & specs on tolerances. Personally, I would at least replace all the syncronizers, hub, blocker ring, & speed gear along with the shift rod seal.. Take notes on dis-assembly, possibly taking some pics along the way. It will take more than a weekend if your not familar with it. Good luck. :nervous:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/transaxletorndown.jpg

Dr_Snooz
11-13-2010, 10:34 PM
AT or MT?

drm2169
11-14-2010, 07:44 AM
its a manual. i dont work mondays so i have off sat sun and mon to do it. my dad is helping me do it so i mean it wont be the easiest but we are doing a full rebuild including syncros. hopefully we can knock it out by tues. ill take pics and what not and let you guys know if i have questions. im gonna get the owners manual for it but should i get a different book i dont know about?

RandyAM
11-14-2010, 11:12 AM
get a haynes manual if you can find one. actually....get 2

Bglad420
11-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Get a OEM Honda manual.

Dr_Snooz
11-14-2010, 03:16 PM
I'd say have a Plan B in place before starting. You don't have a book and you aren't allowing yourself enough time to remove and replace the transmission, much less rebuild it. You probably don't even know that there is a reverse thread nut in the box. You don't know what tolerances to measure. The chances are high that you will end up with a useless lunk of metal in the driveway. Have a spare car in place or be ready to walk.

drm2169
11-14-2010, 05:53 PM
I'd say have a Plan B in place before starting. You don't have a book and you aren't allowing yourself enough time to remove and replace the transmission, much less rebuild it. You probably don't even know that there is a reverse thread nut in the box. You don't know what tolerances to measure. The chances are high that you will end up with a useless lunk of metal in the driveway. Have a spare car in place or be ready to walk.

not sure if im seeing the help in this comment but im doing the rebuild the weekend of black friday through that following wednesday and im buying a book tomorrow and im reading up on how to guides. im not completely retarded lol. not saying your bashing but next time try to reword it so its more helpful then saying im gonna fail automatically :)

Dr_Snooz
11-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Telling you to have a Plan B is very good advice.

drm2169
11-14-2010, 06:16 PM
didnt say a plan B was a bad idea but the way you worded it made it seem like you were just pointing out things i dont know. i didnt plan on winging it all the way through.

Dr_Snooz
11-15-2010, 10:35 AM
I apologize if I offended. I hope you get the job done on time and that it works well. If you run into any trouble, let me know and I'll help in any way I can.

drm2169
11-15-2010, 12:20 PM
its cool. ive actually decided to wait because every forum ive posted on says the same thing about time and how hard its gonna be. i have no clue when im gonna do it though. i wish i could find a transmission somewhere cuz id like to just replace it but every where i call says they dont have anything.

88Accord-DX
11-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Check out car-parts.com ( < typed just like that) & that site will show what junkyards locally have that have any manual transmissions.

phrenology
11-15-2010, 06:13 PM
its cool. ive actually decided to wait because every forum ive posted on says the same thing about time and how hard its gonna be. i have no clue when im gonna do it though. i wish i could find a transmission somewhere cuz id like to just replace it but every where i call says they dont have anything.

Any place around do rebuilds? When I was back in FL we took in two 5 speeds and got em back for under $400 a piece...spic and span rebuilt. :D

Dr_Snooz
11-15-2010, 08:17 PM
These guys are really good.

http://www.mantrans.com/

phrenology
11-16-2010, 09:01 AM

Yeah that's where we went. :thumbup:

88Accord-DX
11-16-2010, 08:03 PM

That is the way to go right there! Totally agree, cause he would be lookin' at PLAN B after it's all done & said. :bandit:

(be ready to fork out some serious cash to cover the core & shipping out front.)

87.3dr.lxi
11-28-2010, 06:32 PM
not sure if im seeing the help in this comment but im doing the rebuild the weekend of black friday through that following wednesday and im buying a book tomorrow and im reading up on how to guides. im not completely retarded lol. not saying your bashing but next time try to reword it so its more helpful then saying im gonna fail automatically :)

I'm jumping in late here - but I can tell you - I have great reservations about your time table. Just getting the trans out of your car can be time consuming - if you DO have the right tools. If you don't - it's still quite "doable" but allow more time. That said - get a factory manual - and deal with a supplier that has good kits AND good support. Last bit of advice: have a GOOD plan B.

just our .02 (in the middle of a trans swap out in our LXI).

circusboy90210
05-21-2012, 08:07 PM
can be done by even a newby in under 3 hours. not that big of a deal. don't over complicate:bs: which is not complicated.

Dr_Snooz
05-22-2012, 05:38 PM
^^^ Says the newb. LOL!

Interesting that we never heard back from this guy. Guess it didn't go well.