PDA

View Full Version : Odd noise

CzEcHy
11-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Dunno if anybody else has this problem, but I have an odd clicking type noise under HEAVY acceleration. (starting at 0)

It's coming from the left side of the car either in the engine bay near the belts, or the near the left wheel...

The CV axles are both brand new, 2 months old.

Belts are all new, waterpump, alternator all less than a year old.

It's only under acceleration involving over 4500rpm.

It's also carburated and an automatic, but the tranny is on the other side so.....

I think it's like a clicking noise, but it really isn't, hard to describe. Maybe like a metal on metal scraping really fast.

2oodoor
11-15-2010, 02:29 PM
need to hear it really...

but here are some thoughts...
I hope youre using good oil like castrol gtx 20w50w
Look under the hood surface to see if anything is contacting it when the motor lifts..
Look at your timing belt while the engine is running, focus on the longest stretch between pulleys to see if it jumping or flexing excessively
Check the crank pulley bolt for tightness
Look at the CV axles where they go into the hub, make sure they have no dimples on the dust shiield that could contact stationary parts.
Inspect ac idler pulley bearing
Look at downpipe riser flange bolts, where it bolts to bracket on block.

RAZR
11-15-2010, 02:41 PM
20w50w??
owners manual says 10w40
is there something i need to know about different oil?

2oodoor
11-15-2010, 02:51 PM
20w50w??
owners manual says 10w40
is there something i need to know about different oil?

they are in florida so it's warm most of the year, not recommended for temps below 50 deg. and yes it works quite well on high mileage motors made before 1995 or so.

Back to the noise, may wanna check the alternator main swivel bolt too, the 14mm one. Radial type vibrations can make some pretty strange sounds.

car6289
11-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Could you possibly post a sound bite, video optional, on youtube? Under your present circumstances the picture isn't worth any words.

CzEcHy
11-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Yes I will try and get a video tomorrow.

And I use 10w-30 Castrol GTX high mileage.

It's also, only when the wheels spin I believe. At idle if you rev high no noise.

Hope that narrows it down?