PDA

View Full Version : Serious coolant Leak

ProShift
11-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi Everyone,

Recently my uncle gave me a free 86 Accord (Carb) I got about 4 blocks away from his house and the thing started leaking coolant really badly. It is coming from a hose/coupler thing that is attached to the bottom of the intake manifold it looks like it corroded and broke.

Any Idea what this part is called?

lostforawhile
11-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Hi Everyone,

Recently my uncle gave me a free 86 Accord (Carb) I got about 4 blocks away from his house and the thing started leaking coolant really badly. It is coming from a hose/coupler thing that is attached to the bottom of the intake manifold it looks like it corroded and broke.

Any Idea what this part is called?

thats a thermostat that controls coolant flowing through the cab base itself, you can bypass it, or plug both ends of the line. one end comes from the coolant pipe on the back of the engine, and one end comes out the base of the carb at the back. it's regular coolant hose, and clamps. get a new piece of hose, attach it at the back of the carb base, and run it to the nipple on the coolant pipe. plenty of people have run them for years bypassed . the themostat is attached to the bottom of the intake with a single 10mm bolt

ProShift
11-18-2010, 08:16 PM
The car also dies on idle, would this coolant leak make the automatic choke malfunction as well?

Thanks

lostforawhile
11-18-2010, 08:26 PM
The car also dies on idle, would this coolant leak make the automatic choke malfunction as well?

Thankschoke is electric