PDA

View Full Version : a/c delete?

88lxi-shortram
11-18-2010, 03:46 PM
ive removed all of my ac parts from the bay but i was wondering what to do with the two things that stick out of the bay on the passenger side that the lines go into? is there any negative effects to not plugging them? also if i need to plug them, how?

Pico
11-18-2010, 07:07 PM
I removed mine and then plugged the holes on the firewall or you can just leave it there

88lxi-shortram
11-18-2010, 07:21 PM
what do you mean you removed them? because all i did was undo the lines so now i have two ports that stick out about an inch. how would i remove those
?

88Accord-DX
11-18-2010, 07:25 PM
what do you mean you removed them? because all i did was undo the lines so now i have two ports that stick out about an inch. how would i remove those
?

If you want to remove them, you'll need to pull the HVAC housing out under the dash & remove the evaporator.

88lxi-shortram
11-18-2010, 07:43 PM
if i do this will i not have heat either?

88lxi-shortram
11-18-2010, 07:54 PM
also another question about p/s... i recall seeing people say if you take off p/s you need to find a non p/s steering rack... true?

Pico
11-19-2010, 12:08 PM
if i do this will i not have heat either?

the evap. is only for the A/C. you'll still have heat

cygnus x-1
11-19-2010, 06:42 PM
the evap. is only for the A/C. you'll still have heat

Doesn't the AC condenser (evaporator) housing also connect the blower box to the heater core? When I pulled the condenser on my 'lude the heat was essentially disabled because the blower was no longer connected to the heater core. In order to make it work again I would have had to rig up a duct between the two. But since my blower box was all rusted up and nasty anyway I just got some high power muffin fans mounted to a plate and put them right on the intake of the heater core. Instant heat.

Over the winter I'll probably just pull the heater core out too since I only ever drive the car in the summer.

C|

cygnus x-1
11-19-2010, 06:47 PM
also another question about p/s... i recall seeing people say if you take off p/s you need to find a non p/s steering rack... true?

Not true. You can run the power assist rack without assist, but to do it right takes some work. The quick and sleazy way is to simply pull the belt off the pump and leave it at that. But the steering will be heavy because you're pushing the fluid back and forth inside the rack. The better way to do it is to drain the fluid from the rack and remove the guts from the valve body. Then disassemble the rack and grease up all the sliding parts. Reassemble and you're ready to go.

C|

88lxi-shortram
11-19-2010, 08:19 PM
either way i dont need heat or A/C but i would prefer heat over a/c any day because even when its cold i need my elbow to stick out of the window.

Pico
11-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Doesn't the AC condenser (evaporator) housing also connect the blower box to the heater core? When I pulled the condenser on my 'lude the heat was essentially disabled because the blower was no longer connected to the heater core. In order to make it work again I would have had to rig up a duct between the two. But since my blower box was all rusted up and nasty anyway I just got some high power muffin fans mounted to a plate and put them right on the intake of the heater core. Instant heat.

Over the winter I'll probably just pull the heater core out too since I only ever drive the car in the summer.

C|

i reused the box with no problem.