PDA

View Full Version : Pissin me off, HELP!!

JDMPrelude23
11-18-2010, 03:47 PM
(i have an 89 accord lxi)
For some reason while im drivin, i press the acceleration to start, put it to 1st gear and then when i go to 2nd gear the acceleration either goes madd high by itself for no reason or it stays the same.

Then wen i come to a stop (lets say to redlight) and i take my foot off the clutch after i put it on nuetral, wen i hit the clutch, the car revz madd high by itself for no reason again. I gotta like tap the acceleration pedal to like "smack it bak to life"... Its pissin me off and its also dangerous cuz i almost got into like 3 accidents wit this crap happenin.

I sprayed the spring thingy that the throttle cable connects to with WD-40 thinkin it prolly gets stuck but it still does it... Wat can it be!?!?!?

88lxi-shortram
11-18-2010, 04:01 PM
check how clean/dirty your throttle body is, i dont think tht could be it but its an easy check. also check your IACV which couod be malfunstioning. and idk if the manuals have this but on automatics there is a cable that goes into the tranny from the throttle cable and i think that tells your trans to "go with the flow". but thats all ive got to offer until i really think hard about it... lol and im lazy today so dont hold your breath

JDMPrelude23
11-18-2010, 04:13 PM
check how clean/dirty your throttle body is, i dont think tht could be it but its an easy check. also check your IACV which couod be malfunstioning. and idk if the manuals have this but on automatics there is a cable that goes into the tranny from the throttle cable and i think that tells your trans to "go with the flow". but thats all ive got to offer until i really think hard about it... lol and im lazy today so dont hold your breath

lol, thankz bro, ima look into those 2, ima accually clean out my throttle body tonight after work.. and ima look up on that IACV, ima jus replace it anyways as soon as i find out where its at lol

88lxi-shortram
11-18-2010, 04:20 PM
it right there on your manifold on the front. it looks bacislly like a rounded rectangle with 2 coolant ports on the side

88lxi-shortram
11-18-2010, 04:21 PM
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/8/1/1/9/6/4/webimg/298200204_tp.jpg

Dr_Snooz
11-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Is your butterfly sticking? If so, you need to disassemble the throttle body, clean the butterfly pivots (I used MAF cleaner) and then lube them up (I used bicycle chain lube). I would recommend against WD-40. It likes to attract a lot of dirt and is probably making things worse. You'll have to drill out the rivets for the TPS and then bolt it back on.

The alternative is to pick up a junkyard replacement. Choose carefully though because a lot of the junkyard ones are doing the same thing. The one I picked up was worse than the one I replaced. When I cleaned it up it started working right again.

Civic Accord Honda
11-19-2010, 12:55 AM
replace throttle cable

2oodoor
11-19-2010, 09:41 AM
In addition, make sure those large cable housing for the throtte and for the clutch (under the hood man) are not attached to each other with like a tie wrap because if they are every time you push in the clutch it will pull on the other cable.
With the hood up and with a view of the clutch cable under the hood, push it in and watch the cable flex..see if it is moving the other cable(s) too up by the drivers side where they route.

JDMPrelude23
11-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks alot for ya feedback, really appreciate it
yesturday i brought MAF cleaner and threw it into the throttle, and cleaned alot of it wit a rag cuz there was alot of dirt on it..., after i did that it has done it anymore.... but its only been a day so im not gonna hold my breath.... I gotta check if the cables are tucked nice and/or are touching, ima check that tonight after work... and that butterfly thingy, i heard that term before but dont kno wat it is, ill google it and look into that... i cud also change the throttle cable i know thats not expensive.

2oodoor
11-19-2010, 01:04 PM
butterfly is the thing inside the throttle body or carburator bore whichever you have, that is the blade thingy that moves as you move the gas pedal. :D

MAF cleaner is dog expensive and I never would use it for cleaning a thottle body geesh it is for sensative electronics and not really all that good at cleaning grumage. Throttle body cleaner is for throttle body (TB) :chainsaw: and use an old toothbrush to scrub.