PDA

View Full Version : setting up 89 LXi coupe suspension

PeterNtheWolf
11-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Im about to update the suspension on my 89 LXi

I would love ground control if they were less expensive... so im thinking of going with Tokico and stock springs that are linear oskagas i think...what you all think

how do sway bars compare that are factory swaps(vigors ?)

it has 150000 miles on it are there any other components to consider

nswst8
11-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Tokico are a great OEM replacement, alittle bit stiff over Bilstein HDs. I have both and I like the Bilstein HDs better. More expensive but much better.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
11-21-2010, 08:49 PM
The car is 21 years old, there are plenty of components to consider. Check all your bushing, ball joints, etc... maybe look for or fabricate a strut bar too.

PeterNtheWolf
11-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Tokico are a great OEM replacement, alittle bit stiff over Bilstein HDs. I have both and I like the Bilstein HDs better. More expensive but much better.
yeah? i cant get enough stiffness.... if i could afford it id get konis ... maybe, one day.

anyone runnin metal bushings? lol

nswst8
11-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Listen up, there are alot of threads pertaining to the suspension setups. Unless you have deep pockets the best you are going to be able to afford are Tokico and available springs. Sprint, Neuspeed, or some knock off chinese crap.

Koni's are dicontinued and unless you are willing to cut your nuts off as an offering to the Koni gods. At least a grand in your offer. You are not going to find koni's.

You are dealing with a car that is 20+ years, replace your control arm/swaybar bushings, ball joints, end link bushings. That is your starting point!

DC sports header are off the list as well. "DISCONTINUED" Unless you want to pay me $500 + S&H for the new one I have.

Seriously, you will have to have deep pockets and a wealth of fabricating know how to get the car to where you want it to be.

But think of this, for a car that is 20+ it is still a very reliable car after you take care of the general maintenance that has been put off.

I have 2 both daily drivers, it is very hard to beat their reliability and ease of maintenance and cost.

So before you start getting flamed, start reading and researching the threads and post all that you are looking for is there.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
11-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Just the posts you made with your plans with the motor with a I/H/E, cam grind, cam gear, head work, 5-speed swap, etc... is going to be about $1,500 maybe more depending on the price you get parts for. then with new shocks, springs, all new bearings, ball joints and bushings thats probably another $500. My advice would be to stop making these bigs plans and just start somewhere, even if its just with modifying a $30 integra CAI. The suspension is something that you want to try to do all at once, you dont want to take all that apart more then you have to.

Pico
11-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Are your plans for lowering the car?
You mentioned tokico's and stock springs, youre not planning on cutting coils are you?
Dont cut corners on your suspension, stay away from the cheap ebay crap.
Ground control's are not too pricey if you really think about the headaches your going to go thru with cheap crap.
Plan it out right and you'll be happier with the end results

PeterNtheWolf
11-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Listen up, there are alot of threads pertaining to the suspension setups. Unless you have deep pockets the best you are going to be able to afford are Tokico and available springs. Sprint, Neuspeed, or some knock off chinese crap.

Koni's are dicontinued and unless you are willing to cut your nuts off as an offering to the Koni gods. At least a grand in your offer. You are not going to find koni's.

You are dealing with a car that is 20+ years, replace your control arm/swaybar bushings, ball joints, end link bushings. That is your starting point!

DC sports header are off the list as well. "DISCONTINUED" Unless you want to pay me $500 + S&H for the new one I have.

Seriously, you will have to have deep pockets and a wealth of fabricating know how to get the car to where you want it to be.

But think of this, for a car that is 20+ it is still a very reliable car after you take care of the general maintenance that has been put off.

I have 2 both daily drivers, it is very hard to beat their reliability and ease of maintenance and cost.

So before you start getting flamed, start reading and researching the threads and post all that you are looking for is there.

good lord, if i want konis i could buy them from Ground Control, but thanks for your opinion. your not the one planning this project

hopefully everyone will have the chance to see my upcoming accord.

and those who help me will be rewarded.

PeterNtheWolf
11-22-2010, 11:40 AM
nah im not cutting springs i was going to put on 8'' or 9 which is stock height springs but whats up what size would you suggest? whats the f/r balance?

PeterNtheWolf
11-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Just the posts you made with your plans with the motor with a I/H/E, cam grind, cam gear, head work, 5-speed swap, etc... is going to be about $1,500 maybe more depending on the price you get parts for. then with new shocks, springs, all new bearings, ball joints and bushings thats probably another $500. My advice would be to stop making these bigs plans and just start somewhere, even if its just with modifying a $30 integra CAI. The suspension is something that you want to try to do all at once, you dont want to take all that apart more then you have to.
i never said that shit. thats what you thought... re read

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74360

LiTtLe xOx BitT
11-22-2010, 12:22 PM
i never said that shit. thats what you thought... re read

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74360

I didnt say you were actually doing all of those, im just telling you what your looking at price wise for it all. Since you were asking what you can do to your car and keep it NA i listed majority of what you can do and an over all price for it. Obviously if you do less it will cost less. I did the same thing with the suspension stuff. not saying your going to replace all you wear items, i was just giving you an idea on price if you did, thats all.

nswst8
11-22-2010, 01:34 PM
yeah? i cant get enough stiffness.... if i could afford it id get konis ... maybe, one day.

anyone runnin metal bushings? lol

This is where I saw where this was going. You are either trying to impress the board here or you are fishing for information you do not want search for.

We are just seeing the same request for information that is readily available thru our search functions.

As I see it you are on a fishing expedition.

PeterNtheWolf
11-22-2010, 05:09 PM
This is where I saw where this was going. You are either trying to impress the board here or you are fishing for information you do not want search for.

We are just seeing the same request for information that is readily available thru our search functions.

As I see it you are on a fishing expedition.
which is it then impressing the board or fishing around? psych?

im just asking what other people think and expressing my views, should i be apologizing for out doing someone?

w261w261
11-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Dear PeterN:

Looking at your several posts, it seems to me that you're getting off to a somewhat unpleasant start here, without quite meaning to. This site has two strong advantages: the depth of knowledge of its members, and the tremendous library of saved posts accessible from the "search" function. The culture of the site has evolved such that if you want a productive answer from the former, you have to demonstrate that you have had a crack at the latter.

It's not so easy sometimes plowing through post after post, looking for the nugget of knowledge that will answer your question. Particularly at first. Some of the less-than-charitable responses to your posts might be considered to be a form of hazing, a sort of newbie initiation. While hazing can be overdone, at its roots it is an effort to whip you into shape, to help you "get with the program." And the "program" includes your taking responsibility for your own education. We are not here to spoon feed anyone; we don't have the time, and it's bad for you anyway. "Give a man a fish, and he'll be hungry tomorrow. Teach him to fish and he'll eat well forever."

Basically, we insist that you do some homework. After that, you'll find that the value of the resource is huge. It's worth the effort.

As to suspension tuning, here's a link to a post of mine, which talks about my efforts with Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks. It has a happy ending, but it wasn't cheap. My post was the last one, # 54.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18586.

wh1skea
11-23-2010, 05:31 AM
Dear PeterN:

Looking at your several posts, it seems to me that you're getting off to a somewhat unpleasant start here, without quite meaning to. This site has two strong advantages: the depth of knowledge of its members, and the tremendous library of saved posts accessible from the "search" function. The culture of the site has evolved such that if you want a productive answer from the former, you have to demonstrate that you have had a crack at the latter.

It's not so easy sometimes plowing through post after post, looking for the nugget of knowledge that will answer your question. Particularly at first. Some of the less-than-charitable responses to your posts might be considered to be a form of hazing, a sort of newbie initiation. While hazing can be overdone, at its roots it is an effort to whip you into shape, to help you "get with the program." And the "program" includes your taking responsibility for your own education. We are not here to spoon feed anyone; we don't have the time, and it's bad for you anyway. "Give a man a fish, and he'll be hungry tomorrow. Teach him to fish and he'll eat well forever."

Basically, we insist that you do some homework. After that, you'll find that the value of the resource is huge. It's worth the effort.

^^^ Truth.

At first, I had many of the same questions you had. But, I did my homework, shuffled through post after post, and was able to find the answers I needed so I didn't have to spam the board endlessly. The fact that you're not willing to do the research without posting a new topic for every question you have gives me the impression you're the kinda guy that gets their car built by someone else, then takes the credit for it. As for out-doing someone....I say don't get cocky til you've done it.

PeterNtheWolf
11-23-2010, 08:08 AM
im being attacked by members of this board, and iam defending myself.

If anyone doesnt want to help me then do not. don't say anything. Its better then trying to talk down to me, or anyone else.

PeterNtheWolf
11-23-2010, 08:12 AM
^^^ Truth.

At first, I had many of the same questions you had. But, I did my homework, shuffled through post after post, and was able to find the answers I needed so I didn't have to spam the board endlessly. The fact that you're not willing to do the research without posting a new topic for every question you have gives me the impression you're the kinda guy that gets their car built by someone else, then takes the credit for it. As for out-doing someone....I say don't get cocky til you've done it.
im going to ignore these ignorant personal comments, lol peace to you.

88lxi-shortram
11-23-2010, 08:35 AM
If anyone doesnt want to help me then do not. don't say anything. Its better then trying to talk down to me, or anyone else.

heres how things go around here... a noob like you gets on, asks a question that could easily be searched, we tell them to search and they figure it out. you on the other hand get on here start several threads about every aspect of your car, suspension, engine, ect ect, and get told to search but you refuse to and therefore are pissing people off because we answers questions like yous time and time again to new people. the info is here you need to look. ALL of us were noobs once and got flamed and now its your turn. but yor making the flame into an all out inferno and your complaining about it. nothing against you but we all are getting tired of seeing all of your threads blowing up the recent threads board. SEARCH, LEARN, ASK, MOVE ON!!!!

wh1skea
11-23-2010, 09:02 AM

There wasn't any ignorance to my personal comments. I just basically said what everyone else has told you in all your posts, including this one. You should have made you username "BoyWhoCriedWolf", cause you're gonna piss everyone off with flaming them for telling you to put some effort into searching for your answers that when the time comes that you REALLY need USEFUL information, nobody will be willing to help.

/rant

88lxi-shortram
11-23-2010, 09:05 AM
o well maybe the mods will lock his shit so noone has to argue anymore.... this guy reminds me of that guy who said he was gona do an H swap... i havent seen him on for a while

Oldblueaccord
11-24-2010, 08:41 AM

I personally have several popular people here on my ignore list it makes it easier to pick thru what I need to read and what I don't.

I am interested in doing something with Ground Control also if you want to get together on it send me a PM and we will exchange email addys.

Reading thru your post I think we have similar goals for our cars.

wp

PeterNtheWolf
11-25-2010, 06:12 AM
Peter N. the Wolf :)

what up...i would love to have them even just on the front, but no can do its like 330 for one coilover setup

mykwikcoupe
11-25-2010, 08:35 AM
After using the ground controls with the konis, I would say the expense of the GC's are worth the expense. They are just a standard spring with a cariable mounting height but that leveling adjustment is worth the extra few undred dollars if you really car about the stanse of your car. Ive had a few aftermarket spring setups as well and I personally like the sprints. They sit low, ride nice and feel great. Unfortunatly any spring can be wasted if not mated to a comparable strut. I would start with the struts and find a spring that works with that. In the sticky thread on the suspension forum you will find a very extensive list and what works. Many of us long term members have tried many setups and what we find works best. I realize all this has been been stated over again but maybe the starting point hasnt.

I bought all the expensive stuff first and now I have a car that should ride better then it does. I need to replace mu bushings and ball joints. This where I would start. Upgrade the sway bars next either just by installing a rear or a larger setup from a legend or newer accord. These cars handle great when you replace a few items that are common to wear out. I think you will be surprised.

PeterNtheWolf
11-26-2010, 04:08 PM
im very enthused by this car...it has a very humble ride, performs well, and is easy to work with.