PDA

View Full Version : straight pipe

PeterNtheWolf
11-21-2010, 06:17 PM
anyone know where i can buy a straight exhaust for an 89 lxi. No need for cats

lostforawhile
11-21-2010, 06:27 PM
you have to make it, and please search!! nealy every post you have put up could have been searched in seconds, we are here to help you, but please do some background searching first. :D nothing against you personally but people here get upset when the same questions get asked over and over and over........... best place to start is in the performance section

88lxi-shortram
11-21-2010, 08:51 PM
you actually dont have to make it. on ebay they have a "high flow cataltic converter" which isnt really a cat. if you read the description it basically says its a bolt on replacement cat w/o anything inside.. in other words, straight pipe.

as of know i cant find any but that was with maybe 5 minutes of my time. idk if one from a cb7 would fit but they have them out to wazu for them. look around and see if the cb7 one would fit. but search dont post. lol this is your 3geez homeowkr assignment i guess.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
11-21-2010, 09:00 PM
what is your reasoning for going that route? you will never pass an inspection with that on there. I bought one on ebay years ago and it was just a bolt on piece. if you dont have to worry about inspection for some reason you could probably just take your cat off and hollow it out and bolt it back on and it will look like nothing has changed. Also like lost said, do some searching before you post. There is almost nothing that hasn't been covered a few times.

Sickest3G
11-21-2010, 09:14 PM
i wouldnt hollow out the cat if i were you. i did that and ended up regreting it cause you can hear the sound of the exhaust echoing in the hollow cat and it sounds like a leak + it'll take away from performance cause the exhaust comes out of the 2.5 header down pipe into a like 4" pipe then it has to cram back into a 2" pipe. I ended up buying a spoon race cat from ebay for $30 and had the rest of the piping done in 2.25 piping for $80 to the dual canister twin pipe exhaust that i paid $60. It sounds awesome so i highly recomend it.

lostforawhile
11-21-2010, 09:19 PM
you are better off fabricating one, because the factory system is restrictive, other then the first pipe off of the manifold to the converter, it's pretty good. you don't want to go too big without engine modifications, or you will lose torque. and you want some sort of muffler, not a straight pipe, it's been discussed in detail, you will lose scavenging ability if it's too unrestricted

PeterNtheWolf
11-22-2010, 08:49 AM
i wouldnt hollow out the cat if i were you. i did that and ended up regreting it cause you can hear the sound of the exhaust echoing in the hollow cat and it sounds like a leak + it'll take away from performance cause the exhaust comes out of the 2.5 header down pipe into a like 4" pipe then it has to cram back into a 2" pipe. I ended up buying a spoon race cat from ebay for $30 and had the rest of the piping done in 2.25 piping for $80 to the dual canister twin pipe exhaust that i paid $60. It sounds awesome so i highly recomend it.
right on.

I want to get a dump off after the header,electronic switch it to inside...thats a dream though, its like 300 for one, then i gotta get a muffler a magnaflow is like 200. I like a single canister dual outlet design.

and if im just doing minor tuning what size diameter should it be replace with? 2.25?

88lxi-shortram
11-22-2010, 08:59 AM
2.25 will do you just fine.

PeterNtheWolf
11-22-2010, 09:11 AM
what header pipes are best

and ive heard 6th generation headers fit on these motors.

lostforawhile
11-22-2010, 09:18 AM
what header pipes are best

and ive heard 6th generation headers fit on these motors.AUGGGHHHH!!! :search: you have the option of paceshitter crap, trying to find a used DC header, the holy grail here, and of a new one thats being sold, I can't remember the name of it. if there was an easy header to get for these cars, we would all have them.

2oodoor
11-22-2010, 09:27 AM
On one of mine I just cut after the flex pipe and added a galvnaized glasspack (smittys old school, look in summit book) it is not the bullet shaped one. ..and it fit right in between where the old cat and resonator were. Then streight pipe to a resonator tip. It was quiet inside but loud ass F riding behind it.
On another one I did use a bullet style 3" id after the flex, and also a stock type muffler 2.25" both ends and all 2.25 pipe. It flows good, sounds good but very quiet at idle and low speeds. Sounds like something is up, definatley not stock but not rice racer either.
Tube headers on both systems btw.

lostforawhile
11-22-2010, 09:29 AM
right on.

I want to get a dump off after the header,electronic switch it to inside...thats a dream though, its like 300 for one, then i gotta get a muffler a magnaflow is like 200. I like a single canister dual outlet design.

and if im just doing minor tuning what size diameter should it be replace with? 2.25?

you are wasting your money, the second you open that you will lose all your torque, you need to have some sort of system to maintain it.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
11-22-2010, 09:35 AM
I had the pacesetter system on my car and loved it. It sounded pretty good, not raspy at all and was direct bolt on.

2oodoor
11-22-2010, 09:38 AM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/04201731-1.jpg

lostforawhile
11-22-2010, 09:53 AM
I had the pacesetter system on my car and loved it. It sounded pretty good, not raspy at all and was direct bolt on.

the problem is the pacesetter stuff is light gauge steel, and the welds aren't the best in the world, for the system and headers both

LiTtLe xOx BitT
11-22-2010, 09:57 AM
the problem is the pacesetter stuff is light gauge steel, and the welds aren't the best in the world, for the system and headers both

I had it installed for over 2 years and never had any issues with welds and when i took it off there wasnt even one spot of rust or anything. Im sure the headers are probably more prone to issues because of the higher heat, but the exhaust worked really well for me.

lostforawhile
11-22-2010, 10:12 AM
I had it installed for over 2 years and never had any issues with welds and when i took it off there wasnt even one spot of rust or anything. Im sure the headers are probably more prone to issues because of the higher heat, but the exhaust worked really well for me.

they might have gotten cheaper, I've heard a ton of complaints, as far as the headers, there's the new stainless steel one on ebay, and it's not much more then a steel paceshitter

PeterNtheWolf
11-22-2010, 04:27 PM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/04201731-1.jpg

i will be trying to do this!

PeterNtheWolf
11-22-2010, 04:41 PM
what do i do about the o2 sensor?

lostforawhile
11-22-2010, 05:33 PM
what do i do about the o2 sensor?

have you looked under the hood? it's in the manifold not the exhaust

88lxi-shortram
11-22-2010, 06:10 PM
have you looked under the hood? it's in the manifold not the exhaust

lost is making good points here... honestly now i feel like you are just trying to have a superfast car for super cheap... your on the wrong board... if you dont know about your exhaust layout dont ask about exhaust upgrades. if you keep asking questions like these you are leading us to assume your pure 100% :rice:

88lxi-shortram
11-22-2010, 06:12 PM
i will be trying to do this!

you need to be trying to:search:

Tdurr
11-22-2010, 08:02 PM
all i gotta say if u get straight pipe u wont be able to hear anything. at least i couldnt with my old exhaust. 2.25 pipe highflow cat, pacesetter header, and N1 style tip. i coudnt fucking talk in the car at idle. it it sounded soooo damn good.

PeterNtheWolf
11-23-2010, 08:25 AM
lol.... its rather simple...

2oodoor
11-23-2010, 10:54 AM
lost is making good points here... honestly now i feel like you are just trying to have a superfast car for super cheap... your on the wrong board... if you dont know about your exhaust layout dont ask about exhaust upgrades. if you keep asking questions like these you are leading us to assume your pure 100% :rice:

I didn't read anything here about a super fast car?

The 02 sensors will be transfered to the tube header, most of them come with 02 bungs already in them.

PeterNtheWolf
11-23-2010, 11:24 AM
I didn't read anything here about a super fast car?

The 02 sensors will be transfered to the tube header, most of them come with 02 bungs already in them.
thanks, i do have 2 on the header. i thought there would be one again at the cat... that is good news though.

id figure the stock muffler is restricting flow only for noise purposes...?

wh1skea
11-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Noise and backpressure. A higher flowing exhaust will cause you a slight loss of low-end torque due to the slight loss of backpressure. At least thats the way I understand it.

russiankid
11-23-2010, 02:38 PM
What are you trying to do with this motor? It is a 2.0L motor, running straight pipe won't do anything but make it obnoxiously loud and annoying. Putting a muffler on it won't do anything other than make it louder.

88lxi-shortram
11-23-2010, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=roodoo2;1042802]I didn't read anything here about a super fast car? QUOTE]

he didnt directly state it but dam hes posting about every aspect of the car... and it doesnt seem like he has the knowledge , expierience, or cash to make everything hes proposing happen.

lostforawhile
11-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Noise and backpressure. A higher flowing exhaust will cause you a slight loss of low-end torque due to the slight loss of backpressure. At least thats the way I understand it.

as long as you don't go oversize, and you have the other end opened up too, it will help build horsepower,since the factory one is so restrictive. it's an overall package, more air in,more exhaust out

PeterNtheWolf
11-24-2010, 07:56 AM
im not creating more air in, with an intake, its limited by the throttle body and the valves

but having no cat. would open the flow restriction...

LiTtLe xOx BitT
11-24-2010, 08:46 AM
even without touching your TB or head components a different intake will still increase the air flow into the engine. Have you ever seen the stock intake system, mainly the part in the fender well? its just a small hole and is very restrictive, mainly it is like that to cut down on noise. But like the other guys have said doing anything to your exhaust and then putting the stock muffler back on will do nothing at all. and doing an exhaust without the header and intake wont do much because you will not have the extra airflow coming in. You will lose torque by only only doing an exhaust. That whu I keep saying to do a intake, header and exhaust and you will get performance gains. If you get a different throttle body by using a b18 or b16 manifold or do head work then yea you would get more power and more air flow, but its not somehthing that has to be done especially at first. Legend master is selling the modified intake manifold, cam gear and a header, then just buy a intake for $30 and an exhaust system and you will have a pretty nice setup. But dont try modifying your current exhaust in any way, it will do nothing. either buy a pacesetter one or have a exhaust shop make a catback for you.

PeterNtheWolf
12-02-2010, 08:16 AM
i not spend more then 30 dollars for an open exhaust , unless i spend what?, a 1000+ a finished exhaust made for this is a waste of money.