PDA

View Full Version : corner balancing :D

PeterNtheWolf
11-22-2010, 09:08 AM
anyone know what the weight in each corner or the f/r balance on 89 lxi coupes

turabaka
11-22-2010, 02:30 PM
I think I remember my Hatchy having something like 51/f 49/r distribution. I would think that the coupes would be a bit more front heavy than that since they don't have the heavy glass for the hatch.

Keep in mind that's for a gutted out race car. Unfortunately I have no idea what it is stock.

charliekuney
11-22-2010, 02:40 PM
^ Actually, hatches are overall much lighter in the rear because they are so much shorter. Coupes have more metal. The hatch itself isn't that heavy.

turabaka
11-22-2010, 03:31 PM
^ Actually, hatches are overall much lighter in the rear because they are so much shorter. Coupes have more metal. The hatch itself isn't that heavy.

I don't know. I remember picking up that hatch once, and it's not something I want to repeat. It probably weighs in excess of a hundred pounds.

lostforawhile
11-22-2010, 03:44 PM
I don't know. I remember picking up that hatch once, and it's not something I want to repeat. It probably weighs in excess of a hundred pounds.

it's not that heavy, I have one in my garage sitting in the corner

charliekuney
11-22-2010, 04:51 PM

While the glass and metal hatch are very heavy compared to the coupe's rear window and surrounding metal, the coupe has 4" of more chassis and such, which is much heavier than a liftgate.

PeterNtheWolf
11-22-2010, 05:01 PM
so whats the balance stock? 51/49

charliekuney
11-22-2010, 05:05 PM
I think it probably differs from each and every year, trim, body style, and amount of options. Plus, does the car have a full tank of gas or no gas at all? :)

w261w261
11-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Most of the Honda sedans etc are around 60/40 F/R + - a couple of percentage points. Typical for a front-driver.

PeterNtheWolf
11-23-2010, 08:30 AM
thank you.

PeterNtheWolf
11-23-2010, 08:31 AM
has anyone corner balanced their cars. measuring at each wheel?

turabaka
11-23-2010, 12:38 PM
has anyone corner balanced their cars. measuring at each wheel?

I've had it weighed at each corner, but haven't had the chance to actually balance it yet. This winter I'll probably end up doing it. Gotta finish replacing my rear control arm bushings first since they're completely shot.

PeterNtheWolf
11-24-2010, 08:04 AM
do you have the weight measurements at each wheel?

turabaka
11-24-2010, 02:10 PM
do you have the weight measurements at each wheel?

Unfortunately I don't anymore. I remember the left front weighing more than the right front, and the right rear weighing more than the left rear for some reason.

lostforawhile
11-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Unfortunately I don't anymore. I remember the left front weighing more than the right front, and the right rear weighing more than the left rear for some reason.
I think it's set up that way because of torque steer,

PeterNtheWolf
11-25-2010, 06:08 AM
well the engine/tranny may be off center with the car, so its left heavy( the battery is on the right ,?, may be why ) and the exhaust exits on the right rear.

but mathematically thats not correct cuz that would mean the chassis is twisting in opposite directions, maybe its just your car. frame bending could help that

lostforawhile
11-25-2010, 08:21 AM
well the engine/tranny may be off center with the car, so its left heavy( the battery is on the right ,?, may be why ) and the exhaust exits on the right rear.

but mathematically thats not correct cuz that would mean the chassis is twisting in opposite directions, maybe its just your car. frame bending could help that

my car is fine, I was talking about when the car was designed. the weight of the car may be distibuted that way to offset toque steer in the chassis

PeterNtheWolf
11-26-2010, 04:13 PM
they wouldn't set it crooked for torque steer...its just that they didnt layout the car for race purposes

lostforawhile
11-26-2010, 05:28 PM
when a car is designed, the weight of major items like the engine and transmission is figured in when setting up the suspension for the best handling. they may move the engine or other major items around during the design process to give the car the best balance possible. Front wheel drive cars do strange things when it comes to torque, so a lot of though goes into the balance of components in the car, as far as the car not being set up for racing, the design of this suspension came straight from Honda's formula one division, it was simply softened up for street use, the basic design survives to this day in a lot of Honda's. It's also done very well in late model racing with this car, and with other forms of racing, as well as autocross. by adding a heavier sway bar in, and better struts and springs, it handles like a go cart.