PDA

View Full Version : Customizers for 89s

PeterNtheWolf
11-22-2010, 11:50 AM
where are the companys support for older hondas, particularly the 89 lxi coupe??????

Pico
11-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Very few if any left out there.
Aftermarket support is pretty much non-existent, with only a very small handful left out there.
What are you looking for?

LiTtLe xOx BitT
11-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Again all of this info is on the board if you search. But ill help you out a little. for an intake you need to make one, for a short ram its very easy and for a full CAI just modify a integra one for about $30. Headers you have the option of OBX or pacesetter, neither are very good but better then stock i guess. There are other companies that made them years ago but stopped so you would have to find a member selling one on here but you will be paying a lot of money. For an exhaust its either pacesetter or take your car to a exhaust shop and have them build you one. There were a few group buys of adj cam gears so you have to keep looking for someone on here to be selling one. DC use to make strut bars but stopped so they are hard to find and will be very expensive. pacesetter also made a short shifter. As far as body, there are a few bodykits and different fenders but they need a lot of body work to fit right and a new paint job of course. You could buy clear corners or jdm ones, you can make clear bumper lights, a few wings off other cars look nice on the 3g, you can buy a cf hood, wheels are always easy to find. suspension stuff was already covered in one of your threads. brakes you can so a rear disc conversion with drilled/slotted rotors and SS brake lines. Interior is pretty much all custom except for like a different steering wheel, shift knob, bucket seats, etc...

RAZR
11-22-2010, 01:11 PM
:search::search::search::search::search::search::s earch::search::search::search::search:

PeterNtheWolf
11-22-2010, 04:54 PM
im surprised companys dont have more tuning for older hondas....a shame....these older hondas are cool

i want to do an exhaust. id like headers, but ok ill do without, since theyre a problem...

i want to run a straight exhaust, with a stock muffler.

i need interior lights for the ceiling and passenger door. ive heard i can get them from same years civics, is that right...

i want to get new wheels that are 16x6 but they dont make that size in 100mm but 115m they do. is it hard to get them to fit with an adapter?

charliekuney
11-22-2010, 04:58 PM
i need interior lights for the ceiling and passenger door. ive heard i can get them from same years civics, is that right...

Junkyard, general automotive parts store.

i want to get new wheels that are 16x6 but they dont make that size in 100mm but 115m they do. is it hard to get them to fit with an adapter?

They should/will fit with an adapter, but the wheels will stick out far and probably look ridiculous.

ghettogeddy
11-22-2010, 05:05 PM
im surprised companys dont have more tuning for older hondas....a shame....these older hondas are cool

i want to do an exhaust. id like headers, but ok ill do without, since theyre a problem...

i want to run a straight exhaust, with a stock muffler.

i have 16's on my car that are 4x100, pacesetter can be had for headers and exhaust. or having a shop do it witch doesn't normally cost to much to have them cut the pipes and to be honest is prolly the better way to do it as the work is dont right not prefab.

what kind of i lights are you talking about they have never really made after market interior lights for any car that i can think of besides neons and leds

LiTtLe xOx BitT
11-22-2010, 06:17 PM
There are exhausts and headers to choose from. There is no point in doing one without the rest. When you put on an intake you suck in more air then normal, so then you put on a header and exhaust system and get rid of that extra air just as fast as its coming into the motor which creates the extra power. If you do an intake without a header n exhaust the only thing that will increase is engine noise, you cant suck in more air then the car can get rid of. you need to do all 3 to make the full cycle. Even though when you put on just an intake or exhaust you seem like the car is faster its just the extra noise that makes it seem that way. as for the wide wheels, no reason to go too wide. But you can find wheels that are wider that will fit you lug pattern because a lot of cars use the same bolt pattern, my cobalt even uses the same bolt pattern and i had 17x7 wheels on that so they would bolt onto your car but if you go too wide you will have rubbing issues that will damage your car n tires. And one last thing, there is no point in doing anything to the exhaust if you are putting the stock muffler back on, thats the most restrictive part. If you buy a pacesetter header and exhaust and customize a integra CAI to fit you will be happy with the results you get.

PeterNtheWolf
11-23-2010, 08:37 AM
i have 16's on my car that are 4x100, pacesetter can be had for headers and exhaust. or having a shop do it witch doesn't normally cost to much to have them cut the pipes and to be honest is prolly the better way to do it as the work is dont right not prefab.

what kind of i lights are you talking about they have never really made after market interior lights for any car that i can think of besides neons and leds
agreed....

i was thinking about taking the header off and shaving around openings if they arent matching. similar to porting and polishing heads...lol

but yea have a shop do long tube headers 4-2-1. id love it but id be probably trying it myself first.

and the lights i just want the standard, i go no lights at the moment...

PeterNtheWolf
11-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Junkyard, general automotive parts store.

They should/will fit with an adapter, but the wheels will stick out far and probably look ridiculous.
i dont think they would go out that far...does anyone have 15-17 205+ rims and tires to comment on how they are?

Legend_master
11-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Are you saying that there are not 16x6 rims with a 4X100 bolt pattern, or are you saying the rims you want don't come in that pattern? I have 16x7 wheels in a 4x100 pattern, and have seen plenty of wheels that were 16x6 with the same bolt pattern.
As far as the exhaust, why would you ever put a strait pipe to the stock muffler? Are you familiar with how an hour glass works?

PeterNtheWolf
11-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Are you saying that there are not 16x6 rims with a 4X100 bolt pattern, or are you saying the rims you want don't come in that pattern? I have 16x7 wheels in a 4x100 pattern, and have seen plenty of wheels that were 16x6 with the same bolt pattern.
As far as the exhaust, why would you ever put a strait pipe to the stock muffler? Are you familiar with how an hour glass works?
(: if i could get performance with a quiet sound...i would try it, and if i didn't like it...id get a magna flow muffler

and about finding wheels....i was referring to factory wheels. they made them 115mm, in newer models.

Legend_master
11-23-2010, 09:11 AM
(: i would try it, if i didnt like id get a magnaflow muffler

and i was saying i want to get bigger wheels, and asked for someone with some to comment how they looked, Charlie.

Nice ninja edit :uh: . Not only is that going to sound awful, you will get absolutely no gain. The exhaust would be bottle necked by the muffler (hour glass reference). You could have a 4" pipe from the motor to the muffler, but as soon as you funnel it all into the muffler it will still be restricted to factory specifications. As far as rims, anything that fits a 4x100 Honda will fit your car. You really need to learn how to search tho, this information is all over the board.

PeterNtheWolf
11-23-2010, 09:28 AM
get lost

LiTtLe xOx BitT
11-23-2010, 09:55 AM
unless you are a skilled fabricator and welder I wouldnt recommend building your own header, there is so much you need to consider and get exactly right or you may end up losing power or getting no gain. The price and risk you will pay/take for a custom header to be made or to do it yourself isn't worth it IMO, there is no way to tell how much if any power will be gained since its custom and never dyno tested. If you really want to have a header and exhaust just buy one of the available ones, they will bolt on, pass emissions and give you a gain in power and will be the least expensive choice. And as far as the exhaust with the stock muffler legend is 100% correct, you will get no gain since the final diameter of the exhaust doesnt change. Also trying to modify your existing exhaust manifold will get you no gain at all and if you try to hone it out you could take off too much and it would crack under the high temps. Once you make the CAI and take off the old exhaust manifold and exhaust system to replace it with new aftermarket stuff you will get an idea of how hard it is to customise certain things, where your clearance issues are and get a better overall understanding on how your car is put together so that will help you further decide what you can and cant change or modify. I guess what im trying to say is do the easy mods first like bolt on parts and minor custom things and go from there, just make a start somewhere and get a better understanding for how everything is setup first before considering cutomizing major things.

lostforawhile
11-23-2010, 10:19 AM
get lostAre you getting an attitude with people trying to help you? all anyone is asking you to do is search and then if you don't understand, ask questions. don't ask the same questions that have been asked 50000 times, do your research first,then type

lostforawhile
11-23-2010, 10:22 AM
unless you are a skilled fabricator and welder I wouldnt recommend building your own header, there is so much you need to consider and get exactly right or you may end up losing power or getting no gain. The price and risk you will pay/take for a custom header to be made or to do it yourself isn't worth it IMO, there is no way to tell how much if any power will be gained since its custom and never dyno tested. If you really want to have a header and exhaust just buy one of the available ones, they will bolt on, pass emissions and give you a gain in power and will be the least expensive choice. And as far as the exhaust with the stock muffler legend is 100% correct, you will get no gain since the final diameter of the exhaust doesnt change. Also trying to modify your existing exhaust manifold will get you no gain at all and if you try to hone it out you could take off too much and it would crack under the high temps. Once you make the CAI and take off the old exhaust manifold and exhaust system to replace it with new aftermarket stuff you will get an idea of how hard it is to customise certain things, where your clearance issues are and get a better overall understanding on how your car is put together so that will help you further decide what you can and cant change or modify. I guess what im trying to say is do the easy mods first like bolt on parts and minor custom things and go from there, just make a start somewhere and get a better understanding for how everything is setup first before considering cutomizing major things.

doesn't someone make the header flanges? I remember someone posting a company once, I wouldn't mind taking a swing at making a set myself, I was thinking there was a common easy to find set where the tubes were close, I was considering cutting off the flange and doing some bending

Legend_master
11-23-2010, 10:25 AM
get lost

http://stevenclark.com.au/2009/12/01/why-not-to-argue-with-an-idiot-or-troll/

2oodoor
11-23-2010, 11:08 AM
^^^^ maybe so....

I dont see anything wrong with streight thru to oem type muffler, well maybe a larger in and out muffler not the 1.75 dog whistle. :kekeke:
You do need some backpressure there unless youre really doing some serious whoosh bang modifications.
May not be ideal for max performance but would breath better than a worn out cat, long as there is no smog certs needed in the area. :beer:

PeterNtheWolf
11-23-2010, 11:17 AM
well with your advice i may not make an incorrect decision...

i havent choosen the muffler yet, so iam going to experiment

Legend_master
11-23-2010, 11:33 AM
^^^^ maybe so....

I dont see anything wrong with streight thru to oem type muffler, well maybe a larger in and out muffler not the 1.75 dog whistle. :kekeke:
You do need some backpressure there unless youre really doing some serious whoosh bang modifications.
May not be ideal for max performance but would breath better than a worn out cat, long as there is no smog certs needed in the area. :beer:

The 3Gee factory muffler was specifically designed to restrict air flow for gas mileage, and emissions purposes. I have seen applications like a WRX, or a 300Z that had actual factory high flow mufflers that would benefit from such a mod. Like you said tho, the "dog whistle" :kekeke: would only block the added air flow from an open cat. I can tell you one thing, I have never seen an all out drag car with a factory muffler :rockon:!

2oodoor
11-23-2010, 11:48 AM
all out= whoosh bang... same thing :thumbup:

My set up with the B20, I posted pic up yesterday in one of the other 10 wolf threads, flows pretty good and from what I can tell (spidey sense?) my worst area is the 9X degree turn down right at the header (modified prelude piece). Not an all out car though just a beat sleeper:bong:

lostforawhile
11-23-2010, 02:52 PM
the muffler will help you, just because the factory muffler and pipe are so restrictive, with a 2.0 engine, the biggest you want to go is maby 2.5 inches , the pipes on this car are small for the engine size, you really want a specific size pipe for the cubic inches of the engine, and horsepower you are aiming for. with a turbo setup, the pipe size isn't as important, as the turbo is in line with the exhaust anyway, and it takes back pressure pretty much out of the equation

LiTtLe xOx BitT
11-23-2010, 03:12 PM
I do remember a while ago seeing a premade flange. But you have a lot of experience in custom fabrication, I wouldn't doubt you can make one, I was just saying if he didn't have the experience then don't try making a header.

doesn't someone make the header flanges? I remember someone posting a company once, I wouldn't mind taking a swing at making a set myself, I was thinking there was a common easy to find set where the tubes were close, I was considering cutting off the flange and doing some bending

I

lostforawhile
11-23-2010, 03:16 PM
I do remember a while ago seeing a premade flange. But you have a lot of experience in custom fabrication, I wouldn't doubt you can make one, I was just saying if he didn't have the experience then don't try making a header.

Ioh i know, this thread is starting to become useless, so postwhoring it a bit, while still on topic. :rockon: It's much easier to work with a prefabricated flange first, especially a laser cut one or something, I think the one for sale was a heavy gauge flange. a lot of other Honda ports are close, but without the two center posts being so close together, maby a civic header cut off and the tubes moved slightly apart and rewelded. you can do that as long as you move them slowly and carefully

Vanilla Sky
11-23-2010, 03:26 PM
You guys all need to stop bullying. Proper measures are being taken and i have confidence that this will be kept to a minimum in the future.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16068

Anyone bullying is breaking rule number 2. If I catch anyone else doing this, I will be handing out warnings.

lostforawhile
11-23-2010, 03:51 PM
You guys all need to stop bullying. Proper measures are being taken and i have confidence that this will be kept to a minimum in the future.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16068

Anyone bullying is breaking rule number 2. If I catch anyone else doing this, I will be handing out warnings.
I'm trying to be nice, but it's getting old quick, still staying on topic of this thread :rockon:

Vanilla Sky
11-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Getting old does not mean getting cranky. Say something nice or say nothing at all.

lostforawhile
11-23-2010, 04:09 PM
PeterNtheWolf we don't hate you, I promise, All we want you to do is do a little searching first, then everyone here will be glad to help you. This is a great site, just listen to the people here and you'll be fine.

PeterNtheWolf
11-24-2010, 08:20 AM
its cool its nothing...just help me out please

my plans to get the vehicle looking and riding like id like it from factory
-15 to 17 205 to 235
-open exhaust *mild note
-cold air intake
-id suggest Ground Control koni/eibach adjustable rebound/height +/-
-bigger sway bars f/r

i was looking at tokico shocks and oskaga stock height springs, instead cuz of the $
and i need to evaluate the rest of the suspension condition.

Tomisimo
11-24-2010, 09:05 AM
I read that you want a silent car with better performance right? You need to know a few things about exhaust. Cat take most of the noise, than you have a silencer in the middle, and rear muffler is a resonator really.
If you want your car to be silent, than you'll have to have silencer in the middle and a good rear muffler. 2.25" is ideal for our engines.
I bet with this set-up you'll get a silent car in low range, and bassey sport sound at high rews.

So here it is, all chewed up for you. dont ask us to feed you with the tea spoon.

Coming here with attitude to our veterans who did so much research and tried out and found new moods and who did everything they can do to their car. I think you better listen to them when they have som to say to you. otherwise I loose my interest to read your future thread nor answering any of your questions, but at the moment I'll let it go.

cheers

PeterNtheWolf
11-25-2010, 06:22 AM
thank you

i dont want a silenced car though, just quiet enought so im not heard from a mile away

i want a throaty note, typically heard in hondas with 2.5'' tubing...just the muffler holds all that sound...but if it whistles in any way then forget that idea

Vanilla Sky
11-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Find a shop that will weld up an exhaust in 2.25" mandrel bent tubing. Not draw bend, not crush bend, not even pie cut. Mandrel bent. Put on a quiet muffler, like a Hooker Aerochamber. Most of the "import" mufflers will be exactly the opposite of what you are looking for. Look for hot rod parts. Ask the opinion of the muffler guy. If he's got mandrel tubing, he probably knows his stuff.

I personally have the Pacesetter cat back. It would be perfect with a different tip. The huge 4" tips is much bigger than it needs to be, and that makes things loud.

lostforawhile
11-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Find a shop that will weld up an exhaust in 2.25" mandrel bent tubing. Not draw bend, not crush bend, not even pie cut. Mandrel bent. Put on a quiet muffler, like a Hooker Aerochamber. Most of the "import" mufflers will be exactly the opposite of what you are looking for. Look for hot rod parts. Ask the opinion of the muffler guy. If he's got mandrel tubing, he probably knows his stuff.

I personally have the Pacesetter cat back. It would be perfect with a different tip. The huge 4" tips is much bigger than it needs to be, and that makes things loud.

the problem is, as he says in the other post, he wants the stock manifold, with a bigger cat and pipe, and the FACTORY resonator, and the FACTORY muffler, which makes no sense, small and restricted on both ends and bigger in the middle :rice:

lostforawhile
11-25-2010, 11:02 AM
no thanks, im going to keep the stock exhaust manifold, replacing cat and pipe with a 2.5 pipe, run a stock resonator and muffler....i want it quiet and more response. how is he going to get that stock resonator and muffler on the bigger pipe

Vanilla Sky
11-25-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm locking this thread up. All that is going on here is a bunch of hazing, and that stops now. I see it one more time, and I might start handing out vacations.