PDA

View Full Version : Radiator drain plug broke

w261w261
11-22-2010, 02:46 PM
.....AND, it did it with no extra force. Today we had a dose of Indian Summer in CT, so I decided to flush my cooling system. Stocked up on distilled water, a bottle of radiator flush, and a fresh container of Peak antifreeze (nice and dark, so you can see it in the coolant bottle). Reached under the car and twisted the radiator drain plug. It didn't seem stuck, but broke off in my fingers, thankfully leaving enough thread exposed to get a pair of needle nose on what was left. Called the Honda dealer and gave them the VIN, but they couldn't tell me which one of the 3 plugs listed was for my radiator, so I ordered all 3 ($14). I'm thinking that the plastic just deteriorated over the 10 or 12 years since the radiator was replaced.

I'm glad that it didn't bust off inside the hole, as the distance between the plug and something hard is about 3 inches. I was contemplating how I was going to get the remaining part out with the limited clearance, but it wasn't in tight at all, and I could get a grip with the pliers. I therefore conclude the plug just chemically expired, and it might be a good idea to consider putting in a new one the next time you drain the radiator.

charliekuney
11-22-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm glad that it didn't bust off inside the hole, as the distance between the plug and something hard is about 3 inches. I was contemplating how I was going to get the remaining part out with the limited clearance, but it wasn't in tight at all...

:kekeke:

88Accord-DX
11-22-2010, 06:04 PM
I've run into similar problems, not so many breaking off, but are seized & won't come out. Mosty on GM radiators with a plastic hex head on the drain plug. Seems like heat & chemical corrosion does damage over time to me.

lostforawhile
11-22-2010, 06:09 PM
you bought one from the dealer? they carry them at almost every auto parts store.

carotman
11-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Well, at least the dealer had one in stock. Every time I buy something for my Accord it needs to be ordered from the warehouse.

Dark coolant FTW!

w261w261
11-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Well, at least the dealer had one in stock. Every time I buy something for my Accord it needs to be ordered from the warehouse.

Dark coolant FTW!

Nah, I had to order them. To tell the truth, I never considered an auto parts store, too specialized an item. I'll call Autozone tomorrow. If they have one in stock, it'll be a help, as Honda prob won't get it in til Thurs.

Thx

lostforawhile
11-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Nah, I had to order them. To tell the truth, I never considered an auto parts store, too specialized an item. I'll call Autozone tomorrow. If they have one in stock, it'll be a help, as Honda prob won't get it in til Thurs.

Thxusually it's an item made by someone like doorman or the help brand, it's like buying an oil drain plug, they are pretty universal

w261w261
11-26-2010, 09:51 PM
usually it's an item made by someone like doorman or the help brand, it's like buying an oil drain plug, they are pretty universal

Boy, I wish that was the case. This took 3 hours of my day today, and that doesn't count the couple of stops I made earlier in the week. First, I picked up the two plugs I had ordered from the Honda dealer (2 different item nos, so I got them both). Neither fit, too big. I had already looked at the "Help" brand in an independent auto store...their plugs were all too big. In fact, the theme of the afternoon was "too big."

I went to Autozone, that was a total waste. Then I went to NAPA, who at least had 4 or 5 five on pegboard hooks...all too big. Next was one of the two JYs in town (only 1 lets you poke around). They were nice enough to let me into their "radiator trailer," which must have had a hundred or so of them on nice available shelves, including Honda Accord, Civic, etc. Everything was too big.

My radiator is therefore not Honda, but some aftermarket creation. I was beginning to think in terms of adapting a bolt to the job, when a guy at the JY suggested a radiator shop in Bridgeport, about 25 miles away. Got there just before closing, a grimy big room with two tanks of green liquid bubbling in the middle. EPA nowhere in sight. Some kid there disappears for 15 minutes with the two pieces of my plug and miraculously returns with what I needed. He wanted $1, I gave him ten and would have kissed him except for the grease all over his face and the fact that my wife was there. I think it will fit, will find out tomorrow.

I now know more about radiator plugs than I ever wanted to. There seem to be a million different ones, and the best you can hope for is that yours isn't an odd duck like mine.

Dr_Snooz
11-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Isn't it funny how the most minor thing can turn into a weeks-long ordeal?

w261w261
11-27-2010, 08:16 PM
Isn't it funny how the most minor thing can turn into a weeks-long ordeal?

Yup, and every job has at least one thing that screws you up. The weather has turned cold here in CT, prob be in the 20's tonight, and it was around 40 this afternoon. When I started the job with the coolant, the weather was mild, but because of the plug problem, things got delayed for a couple of days. So here I am determined to finish the flush/refill today, and the cold means I have to run inside every few minutes to get my hands under hot water (I have something called Raynaud's, which basically means my fingers and toes get cold very quickly).

I only use distilled water in my cooling system, which means that to flush it I drain the radiator, fill with distilled and flush mixture, let run for 15 minutes, drain radiator, fill with more distilled, run again, etc. Anyway, the process means I have to take out that little unobtainium cheap-ass plug a few times.

After I took it out and replaced it once, the next time I took it out I couldn't get it in right. I couldn't even begin to force it. WTF? Into the garage, out come the little ramps, along with the wooden transition pieces because the lowered suspension won't let the ramps under the front valence. All the time I'm freezing. Just so I can see to put that little plug in straight. It was getting dark, and colder. Just a simple little thing like a plastic plug into a hole, but I couldn't seem to do it by just reaching under the bumper. Sheesh.

BTW, I drained and refilled the radiator 4 times in the flushing process. The block has about 60% of the total coolant volume, so by doing just the radiator and letting it mix I get 60% * 60% * 60% * 60% = 24% or 76% of the total volume replaced. I then refill the radiator with 100% coolant. let it mix, then drain some more out and replace with more straight coolant for the desired 50% overall mixture. Where I live, using distilled water extends the coolant life significantly. I can't flush with the garden hose in the normal way because as mentioned, the block would then have the mineralized well water in it. I thought that our motors have a block drain, but I couldn't find it a couple of years ago and this time I didn't look again.

The last time I replaced the coolant was in the summer of '07, and it still looked good this week. I'm not even sure I had to flush and refill, but figured that it was a good thing to do.

The aforementioned process introduces a good amount of air into the system. As I started up and ran the engine for 10 minutes or so multiple times, the idle stabilizer valve was working overtime. Every time an air bubble would go through, the idle would zoom up, then back down, up and down, up and down. At the end of the job, bleeding the system took care of it of course.

Dr_Snooz
11-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Have you considered using Evan's NPG waterless coolant? It sure beats the heck out of that fight every season.

Also, if you aren't using nitrile gloves, I'd recommend it. They really help to keep your hands warmer and they take a fair amount of abuse before communicating it to your hands. When my hands get cold, the slightest bump rips them open. It's awful.

lostforawhile
11-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Have you considered using Evan's NPG waterless coolant? It sure beats the heck out of that fight every season.

Also, if you aren't using nitrile gloves, I'd recommend it. They really help to keep your hands warmer and they take a fair amount of abuse before communicating it to your hands. When my hands get cold, the slightest bump rips them open. It's awful.

yea the latex are worthless with any kind of oil, it causes them to dissolve. Thats all I ever used at work were the nitrile, get the heavier ones, not the super thin ones, they come in different mills, they stand up to anything, even cutting and tapping fluid

Civic Accord Honda
11-28-2010, 12:56 PM

i buy thoses in bulk LOL go thew about 15 boxs a month with my job. they work fantastic!

and i know how feel with the damn drain plug.. i had to go a 200 mile round trip to get mine to find out the radiator was cracked where the plug went :gun:

and the block drain plug is BEHIND the exhaust manifold not very easy to remove without taking the manifold off i would only remove it when removing the head.

w261w261
11-29-2010, 02:21 AM
....block drain plug is BEHIND the exhaust manifold not very easy to remove without taking the manifold off i would only remove it when removing the head.

So that's where that puppy is. I'm definitely going to let it be. Probably cooked in there right well.

A18A
11-29-2010, 03:13 AM
:kekeke:

hahahahahaha