PDA

View Full Version : bypass control system

obdriver6
11-22-2010, 10:31 PM
I was going through the repair manual for my accord and I found out that the bypass valves in the intake close and open. They stay closed under 5000 RPM and open after that and I know that longer intake runners provide better low-RPM torque and when they open they're good for high-RPM power. I wanted to see if the bypass controls were working but I found that the that the solenoid was bad, so I went to the junk yard and ALL the cars that I tested the solenoid on were bad, the good thing is that the solenoid for vacuum advance is the the same so I bought two of those. I guess what I'm trying to ask is that if it's common for the bypass control solenoid to go bad?

lostforawhile
11-22-2010, 10:48 PM
I was going through the repair manual for my accord and I found out that the bypass valves in the intake close and open. They stay closed under 5000 RPM and open after that and I know that longer intake runners provide better low-RPM torque and when they open they're good for high-RPM power. I wanted to see if the bypass controls were working but I found that the that the solenoid was bad, so I went to the junk yard and ALL the cars that I tested the solenoid on were bad, the good thing is that the solenoid for vacuum advance is the the same so I bought two of those. I guess what I'm trying to ask is that if it's common for the bypass control solenoid to go bad?

it's common for everything vaccume operated on this car to fail

Oldblueaccord
11-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Sure your testing it correctly ?

wp

obdriver6
11-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Sure your testing it correctly ?

wp

yeah, I tested for continuity on the solenoid, but there was none. When I installed one of the solenoids I bought and I noticed vacuum at the bypass control diaphragm and also I could feel a bit of difference on acceleration, so I know I was right about the solenoid.

1987AccordLx-i
11-27-2010, 12:24 PM
ive found out that these solenoids love failing... when i first got my coupe it didnt work... but i looked around the black box and found that some other solenoids work in the spot of the Dual Stage solenoid... its funny when my manifold fully opens, it sounds like vtec. ive had so many people ask if i was running vtec