PDA

View Full Version : winterizing a third-gen

charliekuney
11-23-2010, 06:24 PM
So, I know about Vector's winter mods thread (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74382), but I was wondering about specifics on winterizing these cars. This is my first winter driving and the only thing I've picked up is leaving the head lights up so the motors don't freeze. Is there anything else that we should specifically do for these cars?

cubert
11-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Make sure the tires and tune up parts (plugs, air filter, balblablbala) are good, and drive the hell out of it. I wouldnt even worry about keeping the headlights up, I never had an issue with mine in the winter and it put up with plenty of head on snowbank hits :lol:

mykwikcoupe
11-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Cold starts seems to be a hassle. If yours suffers from the bad TW sensor or other hard starting issues Id try to fix them before they get worse. The biggest thing is keeping a windshield washer fluid that doesnt freeze and be sure to not use the wipers when theirs ice on the glass or it will tear the silicon wiper

charliekuney
11-23-2010, 07:23 PM
cubert, how cold do your winters get? It's been in the teens here the past few days, and will continue to be until the end of the week.

Mike, I have Rain-X on my windshield so both of those problems are solved. ;D My car started fine this morning (better than my parents' [newer] cars), so I guess I'm good with the sensor.

cubert
11-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Seeing temps in the single digits, or below freezing isnt all that uncommon here.

With that being said, i have a real big feeling ill be missing the heated seats my TL had.

mykwikcoupe
11-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Thats good news, I have the same rain x and love it. I use the sil-blade wipersw and a trip through the ice ruins them every time. Working outside has been terrible on me. The other day with the wind chill it was registering 8 degrees. No a fun 10 hrs

coolman603
11-23-2010, 08:23 PM
i parked my honda for the winter after the rack and pin problem plus my car is carbed and it takes for ever to idle down. where i live the winter weather is crap today it was -32°C with the wind chill.( i converted it for you people who use fahrenheit. its equal to about -25.6°F)

Civic Accord Honda
11-23-2010, 11:11 PM
lol its fucking cold here lately with snow and my doors freezeing shut yet both cars are doing fine as is...though when the geos plug wires get wet it throws the check engine light on .. lol...and the geo will start rolling back down snowy hills due to no chains

make sure u have good tires, tire cables (fuck chains) and make sure your radiator has coolant not water unless you like frozen blocks...and if ur valve seals are good use 10w30 on ur oil change