PDA

View Full Version : Installed Ksport Coilovers Today!

RobT5580
11-26-2010, 04:02 PM
I finally got a chance to put them in today and overall they seem to work well. I have them set for full soft and the springs are extended as far as i can go without having them move around. My ride height is lower than my H&R/Koni setup and i have not compressed the coilovers yet. So im happy thus far after hitting the highway and not having it bounce me out of my seat. I will post more feedback if i can get some miles on them before the snow comes.

I definitely need a camber kit on the front though as my camber is in a lot more now. Just figured i would share for those who may consider these on a daily driver.

The install was straight forward but i did notice the rear perch's didn't seem to fill the rear mount the way it should. Other than that i am happy with the design so far but with no other options i can't complain.

88lxi-shortram
11-26-2010, 04:06 PM
pics? sounds sick dude

RobT5580
11-26-2010, 04:25 PM
I didn't take any during the install but i will be doing a lot of work once snow falls. I have all new bushings for the front and rear plus i will be re-working my brakes and sway bars to get it out of the way before i swap the turbo B20A back in.

So i should have some over the next month or so!

88lxi-shortram
11-26-2010, 04:31 PM
i had no idea you were running a turbo b20.... all i can say i woah...lol cant wait to see

RobT5580
11-27-2010, 06:30 AM
Its been out since 2006 or so but is being slowly rebuilt again.

88lxi-shortram
11-27-2010, 12:17 PM
i havent been on that long and never really had time to surf the board so thats probably why...

Tdurr
11-27-2010, 01:31 PM
hurry up. i wanna see lol

gp02a0083
11-27-2010, 01:37 PM
nice , there is a local shop selling a set of these, might have to wait until tax returns to get it. like to know more about them

frantik
11-27-2010, 10:58 PM
lucky! :D

Rendon LX-i
11-28-2010, 02:03 AM
Nice bro. GIve us some pics

1987AccordLx-i
11-30-2010, 11:34 AM
im thinking on getting a set of ksports... are they stiff? i dont wanna be feeling like im in a 1989 cadillac.. im looking for that stiff ride

RobT5580
11-30-2010, 01:34 PM
I have them set to the softest setting and the springs are not compressed much either. I will change the settings and try to get on the road soon.

stat1K
11-30-2010, 01:37 PM
im thinking on getting a set of ksports... are they stiff? i dont wanna be feeling like im in a 1989 cadillac.. im looking for that stiff ride

lx-incredibles car feels pretty stiff with them installed.

2oodoor
11-30-2010, 02:07 PM
sounds great but I cant see them from here! one of the best cars here gets even better :rockon:

RobT5580
11-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Here are a few crappy pictures and i did adjust them to full stiffness but it started to rain before i could get out to try it.

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu98/RobT5580/Picture139.jpg
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu98/RobT5580/Picture140.jpg
36 Position Adjusters
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu98/RobT5580/Picture141.jpg

The front has about a one finger gap which would be close to ideal height with proper camber i think. The rear has about a two finger gap which i will lower some more when i work on the rest of the suspension. The front i might bring down some more but im worried that the control arms will be close to hitting the shock tower. But i didn't bottom them out yet and i was on a few rough roads but i have not played with them enough.

88lxi-shortram
11-30-2010, 04:52 PM
:rockon: looks sick man

cubert
11-30-2010, 06:44 PM
I cant wait to see this car completed..

mykwikcoupe
11-30-2010, 09:48 PM
wow rob that does look sexy. Im getting jealous again and you know how much I hate this. Is the kit taped on? I was going to rivet mine and mould it to the car with some sort of filler. What do you recommend. Id like to see the body gap with the ground with the kit. My mud flaps almost touch the ground, how much room do you have?

Rendon LX-i
11-30-2010, 09:51 PM
very sexy bro. Tell us how it rides

RobT5580
12-01-2010, 02:59 AM
wow rob that does look sexy. Im getting jealous again and you know how much I hate this. Is the kit taped on? I was going to rivet mine and mould it to the car with some sort of filler. What do you recommend. Id like to see the body gap with the ground with the kit. My mud flaps almost touch the ground, how much room do you have?

At the moment only the rear is glued on using a SEM plastic repair product. It can also be used to fill areas but its around $40 a tube which is a two part epoxy and requires a special application gun. I don't have mud flaps but ground clearance seems ok but i want to come down a little more. The kit definitely is challenging as its not a perfect fit but i still plan on using it and filling any gaps with that product.

1987AccordLx-i
12-01-2010, 10:21 AM
lx-incredibles car feels pretty stiff with them installed.

how about the d2s? are those ok?

carotman
12-01-2010, 10:23 AM
What do you plan to use as a camber kit?

I'm using the ingalsl and I hate it

gp02a0083
12-01-2010, 10:48 AM
very nice rob, looks like a decent fit for the side skirts. Usually those things are wayyyyy of. In my opinion i would try to glass in more material to take up that gap under the moldings to make it look seamless. I cant tell but did you already trim the wheel well areas on the skirt? ive cut them even with the stock pinch weld, looks cleaner and less risk of it cracking with excess material once it is set in place.

PeterNtheWolf
12-01-2010, 11:49 AM
waste of money... haha

phrenology
12-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Looking good, let us know how it handles. I don't see how proper suspension is a waste of money? :confused:

PeterNtheWolf
12-01-2010, 12:05 PM
yea for alot cheaper

A18A
12-01-2010, 12:10 PM
lolwut

the car looks pretty mean, the stance is perfect

phrenology
12-01-2010, 12:24 PM
yea for alot cheaper

Okay show us when you have your perfect set up. We'd like to know your opinion and see proof of concept. We welcome ideas.

Pico
12-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Nice,
I'm seriously thinking of going this route.

RobT5580
12-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Not sure what im using on the camber kit. I looked into buying the prelude arms from honda but its piece by piece unlike the next generation preludes. I need a few odds and ends so i will be shopping soon.

Anyone with camber input im open for suggestions?

As for the kit i didn't trim anything as of yet. I may do a little work on the front and sides for a better fit. As for a filler i think im going to use the SEM product as its flexible and is said to be a good filler. I read up on it and people said it sands down well so i think it would be the best filler/adhesive for the xenon kit.

And for PeterNtheWolf I already have Koni's and H&R's which are great but i want to go lower and use a full body coilover. As for price these were fair and seem to be a good product so for the options we have i own the best that i can get. And as far as money im already in over my head so i will keep going until my car is done.

In the world of performance parts you get what you pay for. If you want cheap buy tokico's and weapon R coilovers you will know what im talking about!

Ichiban
12-01-2010, 01:33 PM
In the world of performance parts you get what you pay for. If you want cheap buy tokico's and weapon R coilovers you will know what im talking about!

Just garbage. Good to see it all working out.

frantik
12-01-2010, 07:15 PM
yea for alot cheaper

you can't get anything close to these coil overs at any price.. the only other struts that are comparable are koni reds which are out of production and extremely rare. plus the konis are not externally adjustable.

a 3gee with a tuned suspension is like a whole nother car though.. definitely worth it if you can afford it

RobT5580
12-02-2010, 02:15 PM
I agree and my alternative was to send my Koni Reds to Koni to make them externally adjustable but thats over $1k plus the cost of ground controls. I did look into mixing a set of Tein coilovers but they would not do a mixed setup given it was from two different model honda's.

I did take the car out today and with it set to full firm it did firm up a lot and handles great given i didn't swap my sway bars nor have my front strut bar on. And my alignment is way out of wack since my wheels were on my old suspension and the tires were worn with that setup and car.

So i think these should be good as long as they old up to wear and tear. I will post up pictures once i put the car up on jack stands and pull apart the rest of the suspension.

mushroom_toy
12-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Wait wait is this the grey SEI you brought to the meet???

RobT5580
12-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Yup.....Its slow going but i gutted most of the interior and my plan is to do all the suspension work (coilovers, bushings, sway bars) and the brakes this winter while the car is on jack stands. I also plan to mold the rest of the xenon kit onto the car the rear is on which was the easier one. Then i want to paint the engine bay and prep the remainder of the car but then focus on the turbo B20A. I would be much further along if someone didn't break into my old house. My B20A block was going to the machine shop that week but i lost a lot so i have to baby step again until i get back on my feet.

frantik
12-02-2010, 07:06 PM
damn that sucks dude gankers are wack

87roach
12-02-2010, 08:35 PM
As for the camber issue, you could always elongate the control arm mounting holes to squeeze a bit more out of it.

86AccordLxi
12-03-2010, 04:46 PM
I agree and my alternative was to send my Koni Reds to Koni to make them externally adjustable but thats over $1k plus the cost of ground controls. I did look into mixing a set of Tein coilovers but they would not do a mixed setup given it was from two different model honda's.

Suuuuuch a better setup, though.

All the TDM coils are one-size-fits all. No r&d, just needle valves and barely any adjustability. When you start looking at the shock dynos for these things you realize that there's too much high speed compression which makes for bouncy ride.

I ditched fullbody jdmtyt3 coils for a custom Koni 8610 race shock setup in my 240 and it's probably the best thing I've ever done to the car. They don't have fully threaded bodies, just custom housings and ground controls. I thought the handling/ride/etc was ok before, but it's *so* much better with proper struts. Night and day.

You do get what you pay for in terms of susp, and ksport and all the other off-the-shelf jdm hyp3 coilovers really don't deliver.

Not trying to shit on your new parts Rob, I have just spent like $4k+ on coilovers in the last 5 years, and this is what I've learned.

RobT5580
12-03-2010, 06:15 PM
I have a back up with the konis but these seem to handle good so we will see next year. I want to wrap up the suspension and brakes so I can focus on my b20a and exterior.

MessyHonda
12-05-2010, 11:15 PM
if i had the money i would buy a k sport set up. i would love the stiffness of a nice suspension with out the lowering. my whole underbody has been scratched because the car is low. what i do recommend is prelude upper control arms. my friend works at wheel works and i was about to take my car 2 times to get the caster and camber adjusted. i did have to elongate the holes but now the ball join hits the body and every time i bottom out it bends the top of the shock tower

86AccordLxi
12-06-2010, 08:32 AM
The trap that many people fall in is that super stiff suspension is better.

What a good set of shocks teaches you is that compliance is very important and keeps the tire in contact with the road. With a lot of the jdm-tyt3 setups there is so much high speed compression that it just causes the tire to skip across the road rather than staying planted. That's what makes the ride bouncy, too.

I have 550# springs in front, 400# in back, and the car rides infinitely better than my previous 450/330# setup, with the konis.

w261w261
12-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Not sure what im using on the camber kit. I looked into buying the prelude arms from honda but its piece by piece unlike the next generation preludes. I need a few odds and ends so i will be shopping soon.

Anyone with camber input im open for suggestions?

If you don't need more than a +1.5 camber correction these are simple. I have them.

http://www.spcalignment.com/PROD_DIR/SPC_PROD_SEARCH_DYN.cfm?cmd=Cam&cmd2=84600&cmd3=