PDA

View Full Version : Anyone port their subs through the armrest?

elbringit
11-29-2010, 10:52 PM
If so pics and feed back maybe?

1813mdw
12-08-2010, 08:45 PM
i have not done this but i had a sim idea having the ports come through the rear deck next to the speakers. i think a bandpass box would be great for this type of application

lostforawhile
12-08-2010, 09:43 PM
i have not done this but i had a sim idea having the ports come through the rear deck next to the speakers. i think a bandpass box would be great for this type of application

if you move the ports too far from the box, you are going to have all kinds of strange things happen, such as standing waves, etc. the ports are tuned to a specific length for the box, you can't just extend the ports.

1813mdw
12-09-2010, 04:31 PM
if you move the ports too far from the box, you are going to have all kinds of strange things happen, such as standing waves, etc. the ports are tuned to a specific length for the box, you can't just extend the ports.

i did not plan on extending ports. you can build a bandpass box to spec with the ports protuding out of the box as opposed to being within. as long as the ports are the right length and diameter it doesn't matter. this will need to be a custom box so you can build it talller so the ports will reach. be sure to keep the appropriate air space as well.

lostforawhile
12-09-2010, 05:34 PM
i did not plan on extending ports. you can build a bandpass box to spec with the ports protuding out of the box as opposed to being within. as long as the ports are the right length and diameter it doesn't matter. this will need to be a custom box so you can build it talller so the ports will reach. be sure to keep the appropriate air space as well.

I just went old school, older bazooka tube, it was powered from a pathetic internal amp, i ripped out the amp, and run it from an older Sony with an active bass crossover, the good ones, then reinforced the tube where it rattled, it's been working great for years. for some reason, the powered ones got the better 4 ohm driver, with the heavier voice coil, and the non powered ones got the cheap driver. I don't know what they are like now, this was one of the old made in USA ones, back when they were king. it fits the car as far as it's age, and sounds great in the hatch

1813mdw
12-09-2010, 06:04 PM
I just went old school, older bazooka tube, it was powered from a pathetic internal amp, i ripped out the amp, and run it from an older Sony with an active bass crossover, the good ones, then reinforced the tube where it rattled, it's been working great for years. for some reason, the powered ones got the better 4 ohm driver, with the heavier voice coil, and the non powered ones got the cheap driver. I don't know what they are like now, this was one of the old made in USA ones, back when they were king. it fits the car as far as it's age, and sounds great in the hatch

gotta love hatchbacks for bass:rockon: a friend of mine had a dodge omni with 2 jlaudio w3-15's and a 1000w jl amp; we would ride through mall parkin lots and count the # of car alarms he would set off. with my back seats removed its essentially a hatchback for all db purposes

POS carb
09-19-2011, 12:09 PM
yes. I will send a pic later today