PDA

View Full Version : My transmission... #-o

87DXHatch
10-11-2002, 08:21 AM
My transmission has taken a turn for the worse and I want to know if there's anything I can do about it to prolong its life as long as possible.

(Automatic tranny)

Here are some of the things it does. If I have left the car along after driving for a while, and I shift it into D, sometimes it takes up to 2 or 3 seconds for the transmission and engine to link up. Somehow that doesn't seem right to me.

If I am slowing down on the highway to about 20 or so MPH, and then I make a turn, when I step on the gas again it will often change gears but like rev up in between gears before actually switching over. Another thing that doesn't seem very good.

And finally, at some driving speeds, it will start "hunting" like MAD! Just going up and down up and down very fast.

Is there anything I can do about this short of just replacing the be-otch? Anybody know how hard it is to disassemble a 85 Prelude tranny so I can swap it over at a shop :D ?:help:

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

markmdz89hatch
10-11-2002, 08:50 AM
LUCAS transmedic fluid. You've got a 50/50 shot of it working. If it does, it might hold you over for a little while. If not, it should'nt make it any worse, it'll just have caused you to waste the $10. You can pick it up at any AutoZone, or AdvancedAuto.

YK86
10-11-2002, 09:48 AM
Try Lubegard ATF additive. This is what they reccomend in Consumer Guide and it worked for my brother's Accord. But make sure you don't add too much and give it a while to blend right in. Also make sure you are using Honda ATF.

NewAKI
10-11-2002, 01:13 PM
well since im named a post whore, i mine as well say i been throught 5 trannys and im telling you.. DO NOT PUT "Tranny Honey" in any honda engine.

i guess its too thick for the passage ways in the transmission (thats how my 3rd tranny died.. lol

87DXHatch
10-11-2002, 03:34 PM
AKI, I think you were the one I wanted to talk to... the guy who blew like a million trannys somehow.

I would like to know how you blew so many, and why? How did you know they were on their last legs... and how much $$$ and time did it take to replace them?

I've got an 85 Prelude just sitting that is kinda crappy, but has a perfect shifting tranny. However, it also has about 185k miles on it... do you think it would be worth my time and energy and money to replace my current tranny with that one when mine goes? Taking into consideration that that one is free, while another one would cost me money, of course.

shepherd79
10-11-2002, 04:03 PM
make sure the oil level is right.
try some aditives. change oil and filter in the transmision.

YK86
10-11-2002, 06:33 PM
There are no filters in Honda trannies. As for warning signs, it's hard to tell. Sometimes they go forever shifting badly and sometimes, it'll break down even though it was running good. In most cases though, if you change the fluid at the required intervals and don't bag on it, you should be okay.

NewAKI
10-11-2002, 07:54 PM
lol.... ooo man

My Trannies:

1) my brother before he gave me the car, he was doing neutral drops at every red light. so that when the car would redline in order to go in the next gear.

2) started to rev high lookin for gears, so i got it looked at... it was trash.

3)i put tranny honey cuz i was gona go to the PA meet well in NY it starting acting funny then all of a sudden i wouldnt go fast 55, it would jus redline.

4) all my gears ( Park, Reverse and so on) was all drive.... except when it didnt wanna be a bitch it would have reverse but it shook alot and didnt go past 2 mph....

5) same as 4th so i sold it.

i bought my trannys at a junk yard... i had my father look at them and install them... they were $300.00

also remember my car was an auto... lol

thats my story

hey do u think carrotman will but my post in the FAQ so i dont have type this all the time... LOL