PDA

View Full Version : Main Relay Question

firefighterwhite89
12-01-2010, 11:53 PM
On The 86' Accord Lxi w/MT, The Black/Yellow Striped Power Wire That Powers The Coil...Is It Ok To Bypass The Main Relay For Just The Coil, With The Black/Yel. Striped Wire That Powers It?:confused:

w261w261
12-02-2010, 09:18 AM
The main relay has two coils inside of it: one powers the fuel pump (yellow - position 5 on the connector), and the other powers the cpu and also goes to the fuel injector resistors (yellow/blk - position 7). A yellow/blk wire also comes into the main relay from the dash fuse box (position 6).

Other positions on the connector are:
#1: ground
#2: not shown as used
#3: hot in start
#4: ground
#8: always hot from fuse 1 in under-hood fuse box

This is what is in my '89, your config may differ.

I'm not quite sure what you're planning, but remember: "don't fix it if it ain't broke"

firefighterwhite89
12-02-2010, 03:03 PM
The main relay has two coils inside of it: one powers the fuel pump (yellow - position 5 on the connector), and the other powers the cpu and also goes to the fuel injector resistors (yellow/blk - position 7). A yellow/blk wire also comes into the main relay from the dash fuse box (position 6).

Other positions on the connector are:
#1: ground
#2: not shown as used
#3: hot in start
#4: ground
#8: always hot from fuse 1 in under-hood fuse box

This is what is in my '89, your config may differ.

I'm not quite sure what you're planning, but remember: "don't fix it if it ain't broke"

Not Too Long Ago, I Had A Power Problem With My Coil. From What I Understood, The Dizzy Coil's Power Was Connected Through The Main Relay, So I Found The Wire, I'm Sure Was The Right One And Bypassed The Main Relay. Car Cranks But Runs Odd...I Can Somewhat Notice A Difference But I'm Kinda At A Loss. When You Pop The Hood, It's Labeled KA. Not KE, KX Or Any Of The Others. I Have Yet To Find A Manual That Covers The KA Accord...Could I Safely Bypass The Main Relay To Power The Dizzy Coil? Or Would It Be Wiser To Put It Back The Way It Was?

w261w261
12-02-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that your '86 is like my '89. The black/yellow wire comes out of the ignition switch in the run position, goes into the dash fuse box, comes out as another black/yellow and goes straight to the ignition coil (there's a branch to the radio noise condenser between the fuse box and the coil). The main relay is not involved in this circuit. If you have been disconnecting a wire that goes to the CPU from the main relay you may be in some weird mode which could explain the funny running.

Dr_Snooz
12-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Send me a PM with your email if you want a *.pdf copy of the '89 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. It should be enormously helpful in this case.