PDA

View Full Version : Tranny shifting problem

Blkblurr
12-02-2010, 08:09 AM
My 89 Se-i auto seems to downshift ok to 1st as I am coming to a stop but then shifts into 2nd just before completely stoping. Once I take off again I feel it downshift into 1st again, and continue upshifting normally. I don,t have any other symptoms and the tranny has always worked well. The fluid is at the proper level and changed within the last two years but doesn't have more than 20k miless on it. The tranny has 263k miles on it. Anyone had this problem that they solved? Thanks for the help.

Jim

2oodoor
12-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Make sure the TV cable is returning to home position in other words, it is not pulling on the TV lever at the tranny when the thottle is not being open at all.
Any idle issues with this?

Blkblurr
12-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Not that I,ve noticed. I'll check the cable and let you know what I find. Thanks

Blkblurr
05-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Well I took it to a transmission shop that a friend of mine owns and he took it for a drive for about 20mins. He said that the trans needs to be replaced and it would be expensive if I decided to fix it. I want to sell the car but now I'm not sure what Im going to do with it.

2oodoor
05-22-2012, 06:43 AM
It's been a while ain't it?
It still sounds like a TV position issue but I guess you have to trust a pro that has looked at it.
It will tear up the transmission with the TV out of adjustment, it is only a matter of time so in that aspect I guess the transmission could need replacing..

Vanilla Sky
05-22-2012, 05:05 PM
I solved this issue with a TV cable adjustment.

Blkblurr
05-23-2012, 06:25 AM
What's the procedure for adjusting the TV cable?