PDA

View Full Version : Veteran Autocrossing, New to 3geez...

hondalude86
12-06-2010, 06:44 PM
I'm sure you guys probably noticed already that I've actually been a member since 2003, but I mostly used this website as a refrence or when i was trying to find things for my a-series powered cars...
With Preludepower gone down the Pooper, I have moved back to the site that I always got things from in an effort to give back.

Sure I drive a 2nd gen Prelude, but really the platforms are quite similar.
What you guys make up in a supieror rear suspension, use second genners make up in less weight. All the same, I hope that I can help you guys by trying to give good advice to the people on here that are as diehard about racing their old underappreciated Honda's as I am!

I'll start posting some of my videos, but I encourage everyone to check out my Intro thread for pictures if you haven't already.

Here is a little about me...

2011 will be my 8th season.
I'm currently racing in SMF with one of my 1986 Preludes.
I'm the 2008 ST (formerly known as STS) Class champion in the KY region and 2nd overall in the ST class in the CKR (central ky region) in 2008.
This Season I was the Rocky Mountian Division Winner at the Regional Event Held in Pikes Peak International Raceway in SMF.

Hopefully I can help you guys with any info, and I'll post up some pictures with details about my racing setup for anyone that might be curious.

Thanks everyone, and I'm hella excited about being a contributor to this web forum.

Ryan

turabaka
12-06-2010, 08:30 PM
I'd love to see more of the setup for sure. Welcome to the site man! Always good to have another autocrosser to get tips from.

Vanilla Sky
12-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Good to have another autocrosser on the board. I'm certainly curious to check out your set up. What kind of tires are you running?

Strugglebucket
12-07-2010, 12:55 PM
:welcome:, fellow SMFer.

Tdurr
12-10-2010, 01:30 AM
welcome! good to have ya man. I want to autocross my car badd but i know id be in some crazy fast class, and i dont have the money to right now haha

2ndGenGuy
12-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Go do it! Run in Time Only. It's only $25. You'll probably be put in Novice anyways for your first season.

Vanilla Sky
12-10-2010, 10:56 AM
In my opinion, you shouldn't worry about the class your in unless you are out there to win. Unless you've been doing it for years, you shouldn't be out there to win, but should be out there to become a better driver. You're not competing head to head with anyone, you're competing against a clock. You can compare your times to other people's times, or you can compare them to your times. If you instantly compare your times to other people's, you likely won't enjoy yourself very much, and will be very frustrated when a bone stock 200,000 mile Miata is beating you by 10 seconds raw time and a clapped out CRX is literally running the whole course in the time it takes you to make it through the third corner.

In other words, go out there, run what 'ya brung, have fun, and become a better driver. When you're a better driver, start thinking about classing.

86AccordLxi
12-10-2010, 11:10 AM
^precisely.

Then you make friends and start competing with them, class be damned.

That's how we roll. There's about 8-10 people in our group and we go to pretty much every event together. Most of our cars class in SM, but we don't really care. Only a couple guys have v710s or a6s, the rest of us are on street tires (star specs, etc).

hondalude86
12-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Absolutely. Trying to run with the best will only meet you with frustration. But going out and thrashing your car is so much fun. It took me 5 years to start putting everything I learned together.

hondalude86
12-11-2010, 06:42 PM
My current setup...

Koni 21mm front sway bar (19mm stock)
Addco 19mm Rear Sway Bar (13mm stock)
Koni Yellows EF shocks front
Koni adjustable inserts rear
Extended Top hats Front (thanks guys)
500lbs Eibach Race Springs front
600lbs Eibach Race Springs Rear
275/225 Hoosier R6's F/R
15x8 TR Motorsport wheels +20mm offset
89 Lxi Calipers on front
Stock size rotors front and rear.
Hawk HP+ pads front and rear.
Goodrich Stainless Steel Lines

only lowered 2.5inches right now front and rear (tire Clearance issues)
-2.5 degrees of camber front
Zero Toe out in front
6 degrees of Positive Caster

-1 degree of camber rear
1/8th inch total toe in rear.

Strugglebucket
12-11-2010, 10:57 PM
So the 500# springs in front are enough to keep the tire from hitting the fender with a 2.5" drop? Are those the 35 or the 50 profile Hoosiers?

hondalude86
12-13-2010, 05:20 PM
They are the 35 profile ho hos, but I dont have any fender rub right now, but looking at pictures of my car this year on top of the out side tire wear, I would like to get more camber... And the only way at this point is to go lower... So whether I drive this car next year or get my red prelude going, I'll probably be doing some fender flares... Big ones! hahaha... But seriously, My old autocross car was lowered 4.5 inches and I was getting -4 to -4.5 degrees out of the front and close to -3 in the rear, and that seemed to work pretty good on the old tires... but now with more grip, i need it more than ever! hahaha