PDA

View Full Version : TPS problems

1987AccordLx-i
12-07-2010, 08:36 PM
i did some searching and noticed there aint many threads on this subject... but ive been having jumpy idle for a while and i thought id check the readings on my tps... this is what i got

NOTE: key on engine off

blue: batt voltage
red: 11.81v closed and 7.70v wot
yell: 7.28 constant

im no nasa technician but i know this isnt good.... please help me, my electrical skills are barely going up.. :dunno:

stephensimmons
12-08-2010, 08:03 AM
i did some searching and noticed there aint many threads on this subject... but ive been having jumpy idle for a while and i thought id check the readings on my tps... this is what i got

NOTE: key on engine off

blue: batt voltage
red: 11.81v closed and 7.70v wot
yell: 7.28 constant

im no nasa technician but i know this isnt good.... please help me, my electrical skills are barely going up.. :dunno:

I would replace it. You should have a 4-5 volt reading either at idle or wot and you have neither.

stat1K
12-08-2010, 09:27 AM
sounds to me like you checked it wrong.

it should never get more than 5 volts. the sensor being bad shouldn't cause it to pull more voltage unless the material that creates the resistance inside is just completely gone.

it doesn't read 4-5 at idle either, it reads .45-5 and at WOT it should be 4.5-4.8ishv

the huge difference between these numbers coupled with your backwards numbers of a higher value closed makes me think you did something way wrong.

88Accord-DX
12-08-2010, 04:54 PM
The TPS sensor should be around .2 -.3 volts at closed throttle & around 4.7 or 4.8 at WOT. Sounds like your testing the wrong wire or something. 0 volts & 5 volts are for fault detection. You'll need to back-probe the TPS connector hooked up, key on. Then move the throttle & watch you meter. (not sure of the color wires, one is 5 volt reference, ground, & return signal wire)

Dr_Snooz
12-08-2010, 11:40 PM
In general, you want to see a smooth progression from lower to higher numbers as you open the throttle. If you get any gaps or spikes, replace the sensor.

2oodoor
12-09-2010, 11:47 AM
I would be looking at the idle air control for the symptom mentioned here.
Also would let some coolant out the bleeder so you know there is no air in the system. That would make the idle air control act up. Fast idle valve whatever you want to call it...