PDA

View Full Version : White Cloud from hell

elbringit
12-08-2010, 06:19 PM
I have a huge white cloud behind my car right now. Its an 89 accord USDM spec. I can see oil dripping from the tail pipe and this thing will literally smoke out a whole block in seconds. I dumped about 3 qts of oil in it and it was horrible. The smoke is coming from the exhaust manifold and the tailpipe. I think its the head gasket but just wanna be sure. It had no oil in it when I pulled over because it was making a horrible grinding sound. I added the oil and then when it started up it started smoking as I described. I think it overheated and blew the head gasket. What do you guys think?

lostforawhile
12-08-2010, 06:23 PM
that sounds a lot worse then a headgasket sounds like a cracked head or block, the horrible grinding sound because of no oil probably means the engine is ruined

elbringit
12-08-2010, 06:27 PM
that sounds a lot worse then a headgasket sounds like a cracked head or block, the horrible grinding sound because of no oil probably means the engine is ruined

Well that sucks. :/

oh well the car only cost me 100 bucks so it was worth it.

lostforawhile
12-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Well that sucks. :/

oh well the car only cost me 100 bucks so it was worth it.

keep watching on here and you can probably find a decent engine, if it was just a headgasket I would say fix it, but the clouds of smoke, oil out the exhaust, and grinding from lack of oil makes it sound terminal, is the rest of the car in good shape? if it is a used engine dropped in might give you a good car. it sounds almost like the cylinder walls were destroyed from lack of oil, and the oil is just blowing out the exhaust, the smoke around the manifold may mean a cracked block.

elbringit
12-08-2010, 07:09 PM
keep watching on here and you can probably find a decent engine, if it was just a headgasket I would say fix it, but the clouds of smoke, oil out the exhaust, and grinding from lack of oil makes it sound terminal, is the rest of the car in good shape? if it is a used engine dropped in might give you a good car. it sounds almost like the cylinder walls were destroyed from lack of oil, and the oil is just blowing out the exhaust, the smoke around the manifold may mean a cracked block.

Not really interested in messing with it. Tranny has 350k mi and the body is rough. No hood no back glass trunk randomly pops. No ac aint worth it to me

lostforawhile
12-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Not really interested in messing with it. Tranny has 350k mi and the body is rough. No hood no back glass trunk randomly pops. No ac aint worth it to me

you might be able to sell some parts on here, make your 100 bucks back

charliekuney
12-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Hell, he could sell the car as-is for $100.

elbringit
12-08-2010, 07:25 PM
you might be able to sell some parts on here, make your 100 bucks back

Posted it in the for sale as a part out not sure if thats the right spot though.

Pissed off too cause I was just starting to enjoy it :/

88Accord-DX
12-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Just spend some money on a cheap compression tester to verify you head gasket is blown. :D

lostforawhile
12-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Just spend some money on a cheap compression tester to verify you head gasket is blown. :D

it sounds a lot worse, he stopped it because of a grinding sound from the engine, and it didn't have any oil in it, after he added the oil it turned into a mosquito fogger

88Accord-DX
12-08-2010, 07:57 PM
it sounds a lot worse, he stopped it because of a grinding sound from the engine, and it didn't have any oil in it, after he added the oil it turned into a mosquito fogger

I agreee with reading the post again. It sounds like his motor is pretty much toast w/ low oil & grinding.