PDA

View Full Version : Temp gauge needle problem

limikjr
12-10-2010, 05:05 PM
My temp needle will move from cold to about halfway a few minutes after I start my car and not "go" anywhere else. It always goes from cold to the exact same position and never goes any higher or lower while driving. I figure it may be a bad gauge or a bad thermo unit (gauge sending sensor) but wanted more opinions before I spent any money. I searched but most peoples temp gauge problems seemed to be fluctuating needles and I didn't see a thread with the same problem. Thanks.

rc00netzero
12-11-2010, 12:08 AM
That actually sounds normal to me. The stock temp guage is not precise enough to register minor variations in coolant temp. On a car with a properly functioning thermostat and cooling fans, the coolant temp will go up to normal operating temp after a few minutes of driving (2-10 Min depending on outside temp) and stay there. A temp guage that (once warmed up) changes based driving conditions indicates a problem - for example - if temp drops lower when you drive on interstate/expressway but goes back up at traffic lights then you likely have a thermostat that is stuck open (or disintegrated like mine did once)

limikjr
12-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Ohhh... OK thanks.