PDA

View Full Version : Vibrations

estooie
12-12-2010, 01:33 AM
Ok, so I'm still getting used to my car, had it a little over a month, put on 3200 miles.

I have new tires, balanced, aligned, new brakes all around. I'm still trying to figure what might be causing two vibrations from it.

One happens around 80mph, and I've had the tire place re-check the balancing, and the other shop for the alignment. It's still there.

The other happens when I push on the brakes and quickly decelerate. It's not the pedal that's vibrating, more so the whole car doing a little shuddering.

Ideas please? :dunno: Btw, I'm not a mechanic, so I might have to bring it in if it requires lifting it and removing parts

2drSE-i
12-12-2010, 09:35 AM
The one during decel may be caused by uneven brake wear or the radius rod bushings being bad. If tire alignment and balancing is good, maybe you have a warped wheel, or a jacked up frame :knock on wood:

charliekuney
12-12-2010, 10:46 AM
^ I'd count more on brakes. My car shimmied really bad when my brakes were really bad. New brakes, no shimmy.

Vanilla Sky
12-12-2010, 11:08 AM
I'd concentrate on the brakes for the decel shimmy. Your problem is most likely there. I'd attack the bushings first, though. There's always the chance that you'll cure both shimmies by replacing a few worn bushings.

Those radius rod bushings often aren't checked. If you replace them, purchase Moog bushings, as they're a fairly high durometer polyurethane.

Pico
12-12-2010, 04:12 PM
check your strut bushings also, mine we're worn really bad causing vibration.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/picopop/strutbushings.jpg

Dr_Snooz
12-12-2010, 06:04 PM
If you machine your rotors, the brake shimmy will go away. It will come back in a few thousand miles though, so whatever.

What kind of tires do you have on the car? If they aren't Michelins, then I'll say that's your 80 mph problem.

charliekuney
12-12-2010, 08:18 PM
I have Toyo's and my car doesn't shimmy at 80mph...or 130mph for that matter.

estooie
12-13-2010, 01:48 AM
Wow, thanks guys. I have Falken Sincera 195/65/15's. I was told that the front brakes were done when I bought it, so I'll have it checked out this week when I get my oil changed.

As for the bushings, I can have those checked too. How much do those usually run? I read somewhere on here that there's at least 10 bushings that can be replaced?

charliekuney
12-13-2010, 08:29 AM
If you were told that the front brakes were done there's a chance just the brake pads were replaced.

Legend_master
12-13-2010, 08:45 AM
^ I'd count more on brakes. My car shimmied really bad when my brakes were really bad. New brakes, no shimmy.

I'd concentrate on the brakes for the decel shimmy. Your problem is most likely there. I'd attack the bushings first, though. There's always the chance that you'll cure both shimmies by replacing a few worn bushings.

Those radius rod bushings often aren't checked. If you replace them, purchase Moog bushings, as they're a fairly high durometer polyurethane.

If you were told that the front brakes were done there's a chance just the brake pads were replaced.

Agreed, I believe the decelleration shimmy is do to warped brake rotors. And also agree they probably just placed the pads if they fixed the brakes at all. As for the 80mph shimmy, that could be any of the suggestions that have been said, but I'm leaning more towards tire or wheel issues. Maybe you have a warped tire, or bent rim.

Hauntd ca3
12-13-2010, 10:32 PM
i had a shudder in mine for a while.
the passenger side drive shaft intermediate bearing was getting stuffed and caused a vibration that was a pain in the arse to find