PDA

View Full Version : fixing my window cuz the cops told me too

RandyAM
12-13-2010, 08:38 PM
so...i have been having a problem with my drivers side window. it was JUST below fully rolled up, then randomly started working one day, and i thought all my problems were over, then it STOPPED working.....leaving it open about 3 inches.

i can hear the motor clicking, but not moving. what should i look for when i take the panel off??

its a 2 door, power windows, with an auto feature.

lostforawhile
12-13-2010, 08:41 PM
so...i have been having a problem with my drivers side window. it was JUST below fully rolled up, then randomly started working one day, and i thought all my problems were over, then it STOPPED working.....leaving it open about 3 inches.

i can hear the motor clicking, but not moving. what should i look for when i take the panel off??

its a 2 door, power windows, with an auto feature.

why are the cops harassing you, is there now a required window height up or down?

charliekuney
12-13-2010, 09:05 PM
It's the control box in the door. I just had this problem with my coupe. Black box bolted to the door towards the front. Hard to miss.

RandyAM
12-13-2010, 11:14 PM
why are the cops harassing you, is there now a required window height up or down?

none functioning window is cause for a vehicle inspection. and i have no rear view mirror. i dont wanna pay the $200 to get it inspected.....

RandyAM
12-13-2010, 11:16 PM
It's the control box in the door. I just had this problem with my coupe. Black box bolted to the door towards the front. Hard to miss.

and what should i do with said control box?

kaylabryn
12-14-2010, 06:11 AM
Is it a grinding sound like gear on gear or a click like a relay? If it is the grinding then it is your window motor, ask me how I know. I got one out of the Junk yard but new ones are only like $40.00 or so. The window motors are worm gear driven and the worm gear skips.

Mike

2drSE-i
12-14-2010, 06:17 AM
and what should i do with said control box?

Replace it. I had the exact same issue this year too. Apparently the expiration date on these is exactly 21 years lol.

RandyAM
12-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Is it a grinding sound like gear on gear or a click like a relay? If it is the grinding then it is your window motor, ask me how I know. I got one out of the Junk yard but new ones are only like $40.00 or so. The window motors are worm gear driven and the worm gear skips.

Mike

no grinding, yes clicking.

maybe replace the relay and all the fuses??

charliekuney
12-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Check the relay and fuses, they'll probably be fine. I think if one or both of them went out you wouldn't even hear the click. The click says control box.

2ndGenGuy
12-14-2010, 09:15 PM

Mike

Holy shit! An informative, properly spelled first post! :eek5: Welcome to 3geez! :welcome:

Dr_Snooz
12-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Holy shit! An informative, properly spelled first post! :eek5: Welcome to 3geez! :welcome:

LOL. x2!

If you press the button and slap the door over the motor, does it work? If so, the brushes in the motor are probably gone. Nothing to do but replace it.

Ichiban
12-15-2010, 02:42 AM
Those DOT assholes can die. They don't actually improve safety, just the BC government's revenue.

Xaisk
12-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Those DOT assholes can die. They don't actually improve safety, just the BC government's revenue.

Man I agree.. That is completely retarded that they would harrass him about his windows not being fully rolled up. For all they know he just has them cracked to let his car cool... man cops are disgusting.

Legend_master
12-15-2010, 11:34 AM
That must be a Canadian thing, when it comes to safety you don't even have to have side windows. I don't see any problems with having an inoperable window? The clicking noise, and random working kinda leaves me to believe it is the window regulator or motor. It is really hard to say, but I would start with the cheapest item and go up from there.

Ichiban
12-15-2010, 01:10 PM
It's a British Columbia thing. Basically the BC government only wants you living there if you are wealthy, retired, or old. They aren't interested in investing in or even tolerating people who are young, drive beaters, go to school, want to train via apprenticeship etc. The province of BC wants people who buy new things and spend money all the time.

Most people I know have left for Alberta, a place where younger people can actually get a job and some experience for a change. Oh, and no vehicle inspection cops here, either.

Sorry to get off topic, but this thread reminded me of some issues that seriously burn my ass. Long story short, they will pull you over and ticket you for the stupidest things if you drive an older vehicle in BC. I once got pulled over because my car was "smoking too much". It was cold out, I had the choke on....

charliekuney
12-15-2010, 05:31 PM
I wish police here were strict like that. Gets the idiots off the road. Not that I'm saying the window thing isn't stupid, the smaller things like people not having tail lights or driving with their high beams on because they're too lazy to get a new head light kinda things...

Dr_Snooz
12-15-2010, 06:08 PM
the smaller things like people driving with their high beams on because they're too lazy to get a new head light kinda things...

People here think it's cool to rewire their lights so the highs become the lows and vice versa. Of course, they don't bother to re-aim anything, so they drive around blinding everyone. I guess if you find that kind of thing cool, then it's cool. I don't.

Ayeobe
12-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Freakin hate the highbeamers.. especially in our cars. we're low as HELL. be all rollin around, and accidentilly end up at hell-level, stock.. lol. seriously, there isnt a car out there that dosnt blind me, though.. its the only thing i dislike.

I guess QC is +1 in the respect that the cops wont pull you over for bullshit reasons.. thats cool, a tiny glimmer of hope in QC's shitty exsistance.

charliekuney
12-15-2010, 09:04 PM
I dunno, it's kinda hard for me to miss that giant blue light that comes on when my high beams are on, or that bright little light when I have a dead tail/brake light.

estooie
12-19-2010, 04:24 AM
Since we're on windows.

How about motors that sound like they're struggling. My passenger window does that, and it takes its time to roll up or down. Driver side is ok, a little slow also, but not as bad.

Disclaimer: First time Honda owner, total n00b

Dr_Snooz
12-19-2010, 09:12 AM
There is some debate as to what causes this. I suspect your window regulators are probably getting tired. Start by taking off the door panel and oiling all the pivots and greasing all the slides and gears. The regulators allow some minor adjustment, so adjust them as much as possible so they don't bind in the tracks. Finish off by coating the felts with a good layer of silicone dry lube. If that doesn't do it, then you're probably looking at new regulators.