PDA

View Full Version : Your accord

Legend_master
12-14-2010, 12:18 AM
I search daily for pre 89 hatches on caigslist, eBay, autotrader, this website, and sometime a google search. Most the time I find a couple older Accords in the DFW area (Dallas-Arlington-Fort worth). Sometimes I search Houston, I bought 2 from Houston. One was in perfect shape for $800, and one I bought for $75 that was wrecked, and rusted just to get the good parts and drive for a couple months. I bought the most recent in Austin, and it was in pretty good shape. Mostly 4drs (still rare), a couple 2drs, and randomly a hatch. For the most part, I find nobody that has an older accord that I/they appreciate. There are the occasional few that I find that know the car, and know what they have. I am trying to figure out what about the car makes people like it? It seems like most Hondas before 90 have some kind of nostalgic group, or some kind of following. I personally like the pop up headlights, with the 3gee it's kinda like Honda watched Miami vice and knew they could not have a Ferrari engine, but could have the headlights lol.They figured out the average car driver could have a nimble vehicle with ok power. It's not as fast as a Ferrari, but for most people it is fun for driving. So what about the 1gee, 2gee, or 3gee accord do you like?

MessyHonda
12-14-2010, 12:35 AM
ever since i was a little kid i always liked to take things apart...first thing i took apart was the household vacuum...next was computers, now its my car and the addiction of modding it...but if it was not for this site im preaty sure my car would be CAH'ed up

CzEcHy
12-23-2010, 09:28 AM
It was my first car, at 19 lulz.

I treated it like poop for a couple of months not really knowing anything about cars, never let it warm up, drove it like w.e..

After a couple of months fixing it cosmetically, wheel covers, stereo, etc I learned to appreciate it more. It even taught me ALOT about cars. I can basically do everything but take the engine apart now.

Now it's my favorite thing in the world, so many options after finding this website. And now I baby the hell out of it for the most part.

Loveeeee the headlights, if I ever buy a new car and I have enough money, I'm getting pop-ups on it somehow haha.

Love the body style
Love the agility
Love everything about it, except the carburetor. (Only things I would of changed is make it an 89' LXi manual, instead of it being an 88' LX automatic.)

But this car will always stay with me even if I buy a new car, fix it up, paint it, give it to my son in 16 years. Kids will be like WTF ARE THOSE LIGHTS?!

So ya. Love the car, period.

Xaisk
12-23-2010, 10:22 AM
The nostalgia is the answer for me. I was born in my 88 Accord..

Used to be my dads when he got it new off the lot. Kept it until 2003 when we moved to alaska. He gave it to a friend at work who had no car because he couldnt ship 3 cars free. The guy ended up leaving it sitting in a backyard for the 3 in alaska. When we came back down my dad caught eye of it and told me about it joking that we could get it back and fix it. I was serious about that so we got it back and fixed it. Tons of roadtrip memories in that old hatch... The pop-up headlights are so bad ass, and it screams 80's. Im a huge 80's freak.

I just wish people would quit hitting it and damaging it.. When I got it I had no dents on it at all. My girlfriends family have hit it twice fucking shit up, then whining about me hating them. (gee I wonder why) and some moron in a firebird thought it would be cool to try and pass me before I turned into the other lane. Well long story short, he didnt make it and now my door has a dent.. it used to have no dents, and all the dents were caused by other people being jack-asses.

charliekuney
12-23-2010, 03:10 PM
I was born in my 88 Accord.

Wait...literally?

gp02a0083
12-23-2010, 04:11 PM
for a 20 year old car , it never ceases amazes me the durability that the 3rd gens have. I do like the pop up lights, but there are other various cars that have that . I think its the mild balance of power/ handling and styling that's appealing. Hell if you have a rust free chassis your golden with a 3rd gen and with proper maintenance it will practically live forever

Dr_Snooz
12-24-2010, 09:15 AM
The coupe was my dream car in high school. I couldn't imagine a prettier car. Now that I have one, I appreciate the handling mostly. I marvel at the surgical precision of the steering and the car's absolute tenacity in corners. You can storm any curve and not break loose. It just won't happen. I love the reliability and durability. The car won't leave you stranded. Period. It will let you know of a problem long before it dies. And if it does die, you will still most likely be able to limp it home.

What a wonderful little car.

mushroom_toy
12-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Its the only car I've almost completely taken apart...its fun, exciting, dependable, etc. Just sitting in my car the other day after dailying my truck for 2 months gave me goosebumps...I need to be driving that car again.

Xaisk
12-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Nah not literally, the car would be all gross and bloody, but it was the first car I ever rode in.

od2681
01-03-2011, 04:51 PM
From time to time i search for older Honda Accords, maybe for nostalgia's sake. What I liked about mine (before I sold it) was that it was the tossable fun little car that was perfect for a first car. It was light, had decent power and had that tight/crisp Honda feel of the early Honda cars. New Honda's have gone to crap. Thats why I now have a G35 sedan....still miss that old car.

88lxi-shortram
01-03-2011, 05:07 PM
it was my first car. my parents told me that i should buy a car a year before i could drive so i could make it how i wanted it.... it started out with a radio and a painted valve cover. now im putting the new motor in the car, thinking about building a cylinder head, honestly i dont care what happens to the car. i will keep it forever.

Buzo
01-03-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm glad you asked this question. It hit my mind since the day I found this site, I just never found the proper words to make the question. You may noticed already English is not my native language :rly:

And btw thanks for those great answers.

I have one month with this car. That big red truck in my avatar was my daily drive until then, but things aren't "safe enough" in this city to drive a big truck anymore. Now she is in my garage cumulating dust instead of miles.

So I started searching for a 4 cyl car, I though in a Festiva, a GEO or something that size. Then a friend of mine that knew I was looking for a car, saw his neighbor putting the for sale sign in this Accord. He stopped, inspected the car, called me and said, hey the car is in good shape and the headlights pop-up! and I responded back tell him we have a deal!

Then I spent half of my December vacation under its hood and decided this is the car I am going to keep. Not a big story here, but i'd say love at first sight.

Legend_master
01-06-2011, 11:50 AM
From time to time i search for older Honda Accords, maybe for nostalgia's sake. What I liked about mine (before I sold it) was that it was the tossable fun little car that was perfect for a first car. It was light, had decent power and had that tight/crisp Honda feel of the early Honda cars. New Honda's have gone to crap. Thats why I now have a G35 sedan....still miss that old car.

Great replies everybody. Oh and OD2681 it's funny cause my first 3gee was your last 3gee!

stat1K
01-06-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm glad you asked this question. It hit my mind since the day I found this site, I just never found the proper words to make the question. You may noticed already English is not my native language :rly:

And btw thanks for those great answers.

I have one month with this car. That big red truck in my avatar was my daily drive until then, but things aren't "safe enough" in this city to drive a big truck anymore. Now she is in my garage cumulating dust instead of miles.

So I started searching for a 4 cyl car, I though in a Festiva, a GEO or something that size. Then a friend of mine that knew I was looking for a car, saw his neighbor putting the for sale sign in this Accord. He stopped, inspected the car, called me and said, hey the car is in good shape and the headlights pop-up! and I responded back tell him we have a deal!

Then I spent half of my December vacation under its hood and decided this is the car I am going to keep. Not a big story here, but i'd say love at first sight.

north of mexico as in baja ca, nogales/tucson, or el paso?

Buzo
01-06-2011, 06:28 PM
north of mexico as in baja ca, nogales/tucson, or el paso?

El Paso/:gun: Ciudad Juarez.

Demon1024
01-07-2011, 03:47 AM
I can change my own rotors easily MAJOR +
After this gen hatchbacks all look like station wagons. It's not a hatch if it goes dam near straight down at the hinge.

stat1K
01-07-2011, 09:17 AM
it's still a hatch on those but it is considered a wagon because it's a 4 door with a hatch.

just like my fit.

i do love the sloped back of the hatch, i miss my coupe :(

prince_frog
01-07-2011, 09:37 AM
body design, especially the front end, just beautifully made.

1813mdw
01-10-2011, 05:57 PM
i like mine because its not a civic or teg or prelude(though i really like 1st gens). its something that hasn't been done a trillion times before. also with hardly no aftermarket it gives an all new meaning to "built not bought". oh yeah, and it a honda

Edison Carasio
01-12-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm constantly looking for another third gen. I've considered putting my CRX on Craigslist for another 3rd gen, preferably an LX-i but I would probably settle for a DX to do and just swap to a nice Weber carb. But it's so hard to find clean third gens that don't have the nasty blue or maroon interior (sorry to guys who have those).

KillahKitt
08-04-2015, 07:10 PM
My father suggested that I give my eldest my accord. She laughed and said, "Are you kidding?! Mom's gonna be BURIED in that car! No way she's letting it go!" So true...

Legend_master
08-07-2015, 11:52 AM
My father suggested that I give my eldest my accord. She laughed and said, "Are you kidding?! Mom's gonna be BURIED in that car! No way she's letting it go!" So true...

That is fantastic!

mint89
08-11-2015, 07:47 AM
Too many Hondas

I have way too many 89s accords.
somehow a got addicted to these cars back in the early 90s and I have not been able to kick the habit. My friend had an 89 SEI and he drove it like a Cadillac. as I rode with him I kept saying, I have got to get me one of these. by late 90s I bought a Gold lx then a few months later I saw a green LXI. trade the gold in and the habit took root. These car are simple easy to maintain. with a small set of metric tools I can fix almost anything on the car. beautiful form, super handing and everything where it should be. who could ask for more. accept a cleaner and low mileage 1989 SEI

7136 71377138713971407141

Fixedit
09-29-2015, 06:50 PM
With me I just feel like the car and I have bonded. I saved my 4dr from a college girl who didn't know about maintaining cars, and it has come a long ways. Right off the line I put time sweat and money into bringing the engine back to health, and I feel like working on it so extensively so early on has personified the car for me. It's so much happier now. As long as it's up to me, I can't let this car go.

Jacques
09-30-2015, 07:30 PM
I search daily for pre 89 hatches on caigslist, eBay, autotrader, this website, and sometime a google search. Most the time I find a couple older Accords in the DFW area (Dallas-Arlington-Fort worth). Sometimes I search Houston, I bought 2 from Houston. One was in perfect shape for $800, and one I bought for $75 that was wrecked, and rusted just to get the good parts and drive for a couple months. I bought the most recent in Austin, and it was in pretty good shape. Mostly 4drs (still rare), a couple 2drs, and randomly a hatch. For the most part, I find nobody that has an older accord that I/they appreciate. There are the occasional few that I find that know the car, and know what they have. I am trying to figure out what about the car makes people like it? It seems like most Hondas before 90 have some kind of nostalgic group, or some kind of following. I personally like the pop up headlights, with the 3gee it's kinda like Honda watched Miami vice and knew they could not have a Ferrari engine, but could have the headlights lol.They figured out the average car driver could have a nimble vehicle with ok power. It's not as fast as a Ferrari, but for most people it is fun for driving. So what about the 1gee, 2gee, or 3gee accord do you like?

That's so funny because I like to call my '89 Lxi Coupe a Hondari. I love it. Getting hard to get parts anymore though. Just changed the A/C switch and had to get a junkyard part. My wife has a '05 Coupe and because it's all stock with leather we call it the Hondayzeez. It rides smooth, not like my '89 with the full suspension package.

Maybe you say my video.
https://youtu.be/pIEbymTEu3I

Here is another.
https://youtu.be/cvw_xwG189g

Then take a ride!
https://youtu.be/gHsNif2srMA

Be good and maybe one day you can buy it from me. I am the only owner.

Jacques
09-30-2015, 07:43 PM

Again so funny because my wife says my '89 Lxi Coupe is my carffin. Get it? Coffin. But really, I think after all these years I would like a new Civic Si. Maybe someday.

Horace2
01-14-2016, 01:52 AM
I also think its the mild balance of handling and styling that's appealing.
Galaxy J5 covers (http://www.casesam.co.uk/category-galaxy-j5-case-cover-33.html)

87rustbucket
01-24-2016, 09:55 PM
For me it was my first car as at 17 (a 87 DX 5speed) and it was just fricken fun to drive. It's not fast but you can drive the hell out of it and it just seems to love it and so did I. Also when things did break they were easy to fix, with 298,000 miles on its clock and being overheated a couple times in my care and wrench on it a little and give it some fresh oil and you can start driving it like a mad man again. Its definitely old and shows its age in some spots but that just adds to its character.

My car is only stock and needs some work but I can tell Im already addicted and cant wait to get out of college and have some money to give my accord the love it deserves. plan on keeping it as my daily driver for a VERY LONG time.

nastytee
01-25-2016, 02:46 AM
Too many Hondas

I have way too many 89s accords.
somehow a got addicted to these cars back in the early 90s and I have not been able to kick the habit. My friend had an 89 SEI and he drove it like a Cadillac. as I rode with him I kept saying, I have got to get me one of these. by late 90s I bought a Gold lx then a few months later I saw a green LXI. trade the gold in and the habit took root. These car are simple easy to maintain. with a small set of metric tools I can fix almost anything on the car. beautiful form, super handing and everything where it should be. who could ask for more. accept a cleaner and low mileage 1989 SEI

7136 71377138713971407141

Nice collection you have.