PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Injector

Layson
12-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Guys, I have one injector that is leaking from the top. Can I just buy an Oring kit from www.rockauto.com and replace the Orings? I would plan on replacing them on all injectors. Or should I just buy new injectors...

On rock auto does it matter which injector oring kit I get? Looks like a couple different ones....

Thanks for the help!

Demon1024
12-16-2010, 07:14 AM
more than likely it's just the o-rings. not too hard of a job either. I'd suggest doing all of them at once. If ones going (unless someone just twisted the injector) then the others are close to as bad

Layson
12-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Which O'ring kit would I need. There appears to be a few different kinds on rockauto.com One with (4) O'rings, (5) O'rings, and (7) O'rings... LOL

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1580895
GB REMANUFACTURING Part # 8016
AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 1G1010

Thanks!

DBMaster
12-16-2010, 09:10 AM
More than likely it's NOT just the o-ring. There are plenty of strings on this forum about this topic, though.

Layson
12-16-2010, 11:05 AM
More than likely it's NOT just the o-ring. There are plenty of strings on this forum about this topic, though.

It is leaking from the top of the injector? Does that provide any clues to whether it is a o'ring or a cracked injector?

Which injectors do you recommend from rockauto.com they vary in price from 20-100 bucks apiece. Any idea if they come with o'rings?

DBMaster
12-16-2010, 12:48 PM
The last time I bought any was probably ten years ago. I got mine from RC Engineering (rceng.com). They had actual Honda injectors that had been used for testing that I paid $42.00 each for. I had to call because they are not listed on the site.

There are never any guarantees about the leaks, but mine were leaking at the seam between the plastic and metal portions. If yours are dirty you may not be able to tell exactly where they are leaking, but I spent money and time replacing ALL my o-rings and seals only to find out that I still had to replace the injectors. You can replace only the ones that are leaking if you want - that's what I did. The new ones came with all the necessary rubber parts. Clean yours up as well as you can and see if that helps you localize the leak.

As far as which ones to buy I can't really recommend because it has been so long. Two of the ones I replaced were Bosch and two were Honda OEM (not made by Honda, I'll bet). They all work fine together. Perhaps one of the other guys on here might be able to recommend one.

Dr_Snooz
12-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Probably the most cost effective route is to change the seals and all injectors at the same time. I tried starting with the seals. That didn't work, so I changed an injector and then two and then four. You get to change seals each time you pull that fuel rail off, so do it all at once and get it over with. My experience was that once one started leaking, the rest followed in the next few thousand miles.

Layson
12-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks!

lostforawhile
12-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks!
the injectors have a limited life span, just like any other moving part, one of the expenses of keeping an older car, it takes special tools and equipment to rebuild them, it's best to replace them in sets anyway for balanced fuel flow, a new injector will usually flow better then an old one. you may pick up a bit of responsiveness when you replace a set too, as they won't be worn out and able to flow at maximum capacity

Layson
12-16-2010, 09:15 PM
the injectors have a limited life span, just like any other moving part, one of the expenses of keeping an older car, it takes special tools and equipment to rebuild them, it's best to replace them in sets anyway for balanced fuel flow, a new injector will usually flow better then an old one. you may pick up a bit of responsiveness when you replace a set too, as they won't be worn out and able to flow at maximum capacity

Sounds good, I am just glad they are cheap.

DBMaster
12-17-2010, 08:57 AM
Back when I replaced by first one, in 1996, they were $100 each. I had no internet and there were limited places to get them. If I could have gotten them for $42 each like the final two I would have bought all four at once. As it went, I replaced one, then another, and then the last two. Listen to Snooz and Lost, for sure, though, I noticed no improvements in anything with the new injectors. The old ones were quite clean on the pintles.

Layson
12-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Well ordered all four. I am just glad they don't cost 375 apiece like my truck... LOL

Dr_Snooz
12-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Well ordered all four. I am just glad they don't cost 375 apiece like my truck... LOL

Diesel?

Layson
12-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Diesel?

Yes sir... and there are 8 of them... LOL

lostforawhile
12-17-2010, 04:17 PM

the Lincoln will be probably needing a set in the near future, they are 20 years old, but luckily it's based on the same 5.0 as the Mustang, so there is a huge aftermarket for things like that, and it drives the price down.

Dr_Snooz
12-17-2010, 07:26 PM

Yeah, those will hurt you bad. You can rebuild some of them though.

Demon1024
12-18-2010, 05:15 AM
NEVER had one fail on me personally. Always just been the rings. That plastic rubber / whatever is bound to be bad being 20years old. No harm in buying new ones i guess