PDA

View Full Version : pulled a few things, now lopey idle when warm

89accordvtec?
12-15-2010, 09:17 PM
so, i apparently had my clutch cable adjusted too high and when i pushed my clutch in all the way my release bearing spring snapped, so i dropped the tranny and replaced it, i also had a bad heater core hose so i replaced that as well. I re-installed the tranny, hooked everything back up, and my friend that let me borrow his battery needed it back. so with my car just sitting in the garage until i could afford a new battery, i decided to pull a few things to lose some extra weight and clean up the engine bay a bit (power steering, A/C, and cruise). i got a new battery today and started the car, it idled high like it usually does when its cold, and when it warmed up the idle started to go up and down, between about 1200 to 1500 RPM. i double checked the plug on the intake where the cruise plugged in and its capped off. also, i was going to delete my vacuum box then realized i couldn't due to the "secondary butterflies" on the 89 LXI intake and when i pulled off the vacuum box cover, i noticed that my egr valve vacuum hose had been pinched between the bottom and top of the cover, so i put it back in its slot and put the cover back on. could that vacuum hose be the reason my idle is lopey? or is there maybe something else i might have missed when deleting the A/C or p/s?

with the p/s i removed the resivior, pump, belt, and looped the lines that went to the p/s cooler and to the resivior. and cut the line that came directly from the pump to the rack and filled it with p/s fluid and used a small hose clamp and one of the p/s pump mount bolts to close it up.

with the A/C, i removed the belt, pump, condenser, lines, canister that went behind the headlight, and the thing under the dash(i forget what it's called) that the A/C lines hooked up to.

with the cruise, i cut the cable that went to the gas pedal, capped off the vacuum plug on the intake, unplugged it, and removed it.

any ideas or suggestions as to why my idle is now lopey would be greatly appreciated.

89accordvtec?
12-15-2010, 09:19 PM
also replaced my cap, rotor, and plug wires. the only thing i could think of would be that my EGR valve vacuum hose is damaged from being pinched in the vacuum box.

my CEL has been coming on after about 15 minutes of driving since i got the car, my ECU LED indicates code 12. (EGR lift valve)

89accordvtec?
12-15-2010, 10:34 PM
just pulled the vacuum box cover off and checked the EGR hose, turns out it was still stuck together. got it to open up and put the cover back on. let it run for about 15 minutes, and the engine lopes started getting farther and farther apart, then stopped. i let it run for about 5 more minutes and no loping, still idled around 1200 RPM, but no loping. i'll start it again tomorrow and see what happens, it may have just been that hose, BUT, i also left the cooling system bleeder screw open just enough for a few air bubbles to come out while it was running. i read about idle problems on here due to air in the cooling system, but didn't think that was my problem, hopefully getting rid of that little bit of air solved the problem. if so, this thread can probably be deleted.

Demon1024
12-16-2010, 06:43 AM
may have to bleed several times. driving in between is your best bet
that or im gonna guess a vacuum leak
from moving all that around you may have cause one to break / come loose.
if unrelated you may have a leaky fit. you can try tightining it down to see if it fixes it.

89accordvtec?
12-16-2010, 11:09 AM
i started it up this morning, high idle, then it started to lope again, and stopped after about a minute. so i took it for a short ride and no lopey idle so i drove it to work. (about 5 miles of hell raising acceleration). got to work and let it idle for a minute then it started to lope a little bit again. so i shut it off and about 2 hours later took it for another ride. let it idle for a minute, and it didn't lope at first, then after a few minutes it started doing it again, but the loping was very spaced out and only did it 3 or 4 times then went back to about 1100 and stayed there. shut it off for about 30 minutes and drove it again. no loping.

what do you mean by a leaky fit?

kentwat
12-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Did you try and top off radiator and bleed system again. It took me a few times to bleed air out of mine. FIT Is the fast idle thermovalve ?SP on the intake. I think there is a how to on it. A search would find it quick.

89accordvtec?
12-16-2010, 07:07 PM
ohh, ok. ive read about that, but i thought that was just for high idle? it probably needs a bit of adjustment. do you think it might help with the jumping idle?

Dr_Snooz
12-16-2010, 08:00 PM
The bouncing idle is caused by a vacuum leak or low coolant. It sounds like your EGR hose was damaged. Try changing it and see it that helps.

89accordvtec?
10-23-2011, 11:43 AM
So, 10 months later... lol. I've bled the cooling system many times with no improvement, and can't find anything about a fast idle thermovalve, is that only on carbed accords? I found a fast idler air valve (idle air control valve) but that doesn't sound like the same part. is it the same part? and could it be the issue?

89accordvtec?
10-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Btw I have an 89 lxi