PDA

View Full Version : Rev and Acceleration

rideordie12
12-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Ok i donno if this has been happening since i did the swap or when i got the car with this motor.

When i idle at cold or operating temp and rev it up
1. it takes two or three seconds to idle down..
2. It feels like it should gain rpm faster like its slow or something
THEN...
When im driving and take off it it feels as though its almost putting while accelerating and doesn't take off like it feels it should while stepping on it in any gear???
Any ideas?

2ndGenGuy
12-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Have you checked your timing? Could be too advanced, causing the excess idle.. I dunno, just a quick guess, easy to check...

Jajle
12-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Does this just happen for a while after you start your car? Then after you drive it for a bit it'll drive correct?

Ichiban
12-21-2010, 02:21 AM
Leaking spark plug wire and slight ignition miss? Fire it up in the dark and look for blue sparks. Actually, sounds more vaguely like a vacuum leak..

Dr_Snooz
12-21-2010, 08:15 AM
What did you swap?

What condition is your carb in?

How old is your cat?

...by which I mean your catalytic converter. (I know some wag is going to make a joke about felines.)

rideordie12
12-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Have you checked your timing? Could be too advanced, causing the excess idle.. I dunno, just a quick guess, easy to check...

Tried adjusting the timing... no difference

Does this just happen for a while after you start your car? Then after you drive it for a bit it'll drive correct?

I thought that it did go away at first after i drove a bit but im not sure thinking back on it..

Leaking spark plug wire and slight ignition miss? Fire it up in the dark and look for blue sparks. Actually, sounds more vaguely like a vacuum leak..

I didnt see any blue spark and i did the timing last night after i got off work so it was dark also. I though vac leak also so i looked over everything and looks all to be connected (didnt check in vac box though).

What did you swap?

What condition is your carb in?

How old is your cat?

...by which I mean your catalytic converter. (I know some wag is going to make a joke about felines.)

Im new to carbs so im not sure.... I know its not the answer your looking for but it is kinda grimey, but clean to the eye on the inside.

The cat is prob pretty old, and i did punch it also so it is more like a test pipe..... Ive done it to almost all my cars so i figured it wouldnt hurt,, could that be the problem???? Not enought back pressure or something??

Dr_Snooz
12-21-2010, 09:15 PM
I was thinking that if the cat were plugged you would lose a lot of power to it. Exhaust restrictions will make the car feel like it has no power without giving any other real symptoms. If you punched it out, it wouldn't be that. I feel that carbs are something you should rebuild every 100k miles or so. If it's been longer than that, it's probably time. You can wait for it to give you problems, but it's easier to do it while it's running good.

rideordie12
12-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Well that makes sence. I didnt think that not enough back pressure would be the problem, since most cars have enough from the exhaust manifold alone, and will only backfire from too much unused fuel.

On the other hand since the emmisions stuff on this motor compared to the stock (stock: low emmisions swapped motor: high emmisions) is different that i would switch out the carb on the stock motor (which is new) and the one on (this which is not) to see if this would make a difference.Slakin gettin the weber carb and eleminating all these problems since i found a 4dr EG like my other car that im tryin to pickin up thurs

rideordie12
12-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Well i didnt go as far as rebuilding it but i did clean the crap outta it and the problem is fixed (for now anyways hahah)!!! sweeeeeeeettt.

Ichiban
01-01-2011, 12:54 PM
I'd transfer all the new/non emissions parts from the old motor to the new one.

rideordie12
01-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Well i ended up gettin stuck in tacoma and driving back with it acting like it wasnt getting gas, so i ended up swapping out the carbs and it runs great now that i dont have all that "high altitude" emmissions stuff. Seems like better gas milage, quicker response and quicker exceleration also.. I'm guessing that it was just way overdue on a rebuild. This one was rebuilt while trying to decifer the no fuel problem by the OG owner.