PDA

View Full Version : alternator question

youceffhasacar
12-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi
I feel stupid for asking this but here i go. On the alternator, where is the ground wire supposed to connect to? I currently have a ~6 ft long white cable that connects the ground to the fuse box. I don't have another accord to compare it to so i just want to make sure. If thats the wrong wiring then what is supposed to connect to the fuse box?
thank you

lostforawhile
12-21-2010, 01:29 PM
um thats not a ground wire connected to the fuse box, thats your primary lead from the alternator, the alternator ground is through the case of the alternator to the engine.

lostforawhile
12-21-2010, 01:49 PM
um how did you you think the power got from the alternator to the fuse box?

youceffhasacar
12-22-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm not understanding what you're saying. The long, white, 8 gauge wire coming from the fuse box, what does that connect to? and on the alternator there's the green plug which obviously connects to the harness and this metal screw coming out of the side. what connects to that? I don't have any wires coming out of the alternator case

lostforawhile
12-22-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm not understanding what you're saying. The long, white, 8 gauge wire coming from the fuse box, what does that connect to? and on the alternator there's the green plug which obviously connects to the harness and this metal screw coming out of the side. what connects to that? I don't have any wires coming out of the alternator case

the 8 gauge white wire coming out of the alternator is power from the alternator to the fuse box, thats the main power wire from the alternator, the green plug is just field power and the warning light, the alternator grounds through it's case

youceffhasacar
12-22-2010, 06:08 PM
I see. But what should it be connected to? I don't see any connections for it.

lostforawhile
12-22-2010, 06:21 PM
I see. But what should it be connected to? I don't see any connections for it.
are you for real? it attaches to the insulated post on the back of the alternator and the other end attaches to the fusebox. If this is difficult for you to understand, nothing personal, but you don't need to be messing with the wiring. you are liable to connect something wrong and fry your electrical system, the LARGE WHITE WIRE is how power gets to the fusebox from the alternator

youceffhasacar
12-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Here's a view of the back of my alternator.
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww100/yunquekabal/P10100111.jpg
Maybe i have the only alternator in the world without an obvious insulated post to connect the 8 gauge white wire to. I'm just trying to fix my car and this is to my understanding very simple electrical wiring. As you can see there's three nuts that keep the case on the alternator, the input for the green plug and the ground on the side coming out of the case as you mentioned earlier. So. Should i just pick one of the three nuts and attach the white wire? or am i blindly missing this insulated post you're talking about.

lostforawhile
12-22-2010, 07:57 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/P10100111.jpg

youceffhasacar
12-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks, that's what i thought. I had it connected to that but i wanted to make sure. So if the power comes out of the black insulated post on the side of the alternator and you say that "the alternator grounds through it's case" then should i just connect a ground wire to one of those nuts i mentioned earlier and just ground it?

lostforawhile
12-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Thanks, that's what i thought. I had it connected to that but i wanted to make sure. So if the power comes out of the black insulated post on the side of the alternator and you say that "the alternator grounds through it's case" then should i just connect a ground wire to one of those nuts i mentioned earlier and just ground it?

no the alternator grounds through it's mountings bolts to the engine it doesn't need an external ground wire, the entire alternator case is grounded

youceffhasacar
12-22-2010, 08:56 PM
oh right on, thats pretty clever. Thanks for all your help man, sorry for the confusion.