PDA

View Full Version : slight ringing sound above about 2K

89accordvtec?
12-21-2010, 10:42 PM
sounds like keys jingling in the engine bay, or maybe a loose bolt with a vibrating washer. but i can't think of where it would be. wether im driving or sitting still. has anyone heard something like this before? just thought i'd check and see if anyone has heard this and figured out the source before i start searchin every inch of my front end.

Demon1024
12-22-2010, 04:38 AM
wow that sounds bad man.....lol gl
best bet to listen while someone else holds rpms. at least get a general area to start with.
Could be something loose or it could be some bearing going out, say alt or ps. I dunno

89accordvtec?
12-22-2010, 01:36 PM
it does sound kinda like a bearing. i thought it was a wheel bearing till i heard it when i was sittin still. it probably is the alternator, i tightend it up a week or 2 ago when i was checking out the timing belt n water pump.

89accordvtec?
12-22-2010, 03:05 PM
nevermind. aparently i got a little forgetful when tightening bolts on the alternator. left one loose on the bottom of the bracket, tightend it up and no more rattle. thanks for the help tho.

frantik
12-22-2010, 06:03 PM
i have had this sound ever since getting my dc header.. pico and i couldn't find the source of the problem and so far nothing super important has fallen off the car so :thumbup:

CzEcHy
12-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Ya so many sounds in the engine bay while driving sound HORRIBLE.

I actually had my hood prop bar thing (I can't think of its real name sorry), loose and rattling at 1500-3000rpm.

I drove for months like WTF IS THAT?!?! Thinking every day the engine was going to explode into a fireball or something, then I remembered one night while trying to go to sleep that maybe the metal bar rattling on the frame was causing the noise, and voila it was.

So ya, even the worst sounding noises can be simple, try not to freak out lol.