PDA

View Full Version : spark plug wire

prince_frog
12-24-2010, 10:37 AM
How do you guys go about upgrading on spark plug wire? I want to upgrade to a bigger set, like 8-10mm. But i want to know your advice/inputs about this. all information are welcome, thanks

Pico
12-24-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm running MSD 8.5 wires, I bought a universal V8 set and cut the wires to size and crimped on the connectors.
Are you running or plan on running any other mods to the engine.
If not just go with NGK wires

prince_frog
12-24-2010, 10:46 AM
im not planning to run anything else i just want to upgrade to larger wire.

lostforawhile
12-24-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm using a set of Accel wires part number 3008, they are the set where you make your own, this would give you two sets, they are pretty well known wires, i went through a lot of boxes before i found a set with the proper ends to fit both the plugs and the dizzy

lostforawhile
12-24-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm very pissed right now, when I bought those wires I was told they were suppression wires, I just called summit racing and was told they were solid core, which means they are a no go for the MSD box. just great, never run and worthless. I was told I would need a set of MSD 3010 wires, which are supposed to have the same boot ends

prince_frog
12-24-2010, 11:03 AM
thanks i check up on that

lostforawhile
12-24-2010, 11:05 AM
thanks i check up on that

summit says I need a 3010 which is the radio suppression, I can't remember if you said you had EFI or not, if you do, you need to also run the radio suppression wires. I have to run those wires with my MSD box, they are SUPPOSED to have the same 90 degree boots as this other set I got, spark plug wires have straight boots, dizzy end has 90 degree boots

prince_frog
12-24-2010, 11:06 AM
so whats the different on supressor wire set and solid core set other than one being solid single strand and supressor is?

prince_frog
12-24-2010, 11:07 AM
i got EFI, you guys dont happen to know the size mm of stock oem spark plug wire?

lostforawhile
12-24-2010, 11:08 AM
so whats the different on supressor wire set and solid core set other than one being solid single strand and supressor is?

the solid core will cause a lot more interference in anything electronic on the car, such as the computer, radio, etc. they are made for points type ignitions, the radio suppression wires look exactly the same but have a different type of core, you also can't run solid core wires with an MSD box

Pico
12-24-2010, 11:28 AM
i got EFI, you guys dont happen to know the size mm of stock oem spark plug wire?

6mm or 7mm i believe

lostforawhile
12-24-2010, 11:49 AM
6mm or 7mm i believe

pico how much was that set of MSD wires? are they universal fit? this really pisses me off to know my 30 dollar set of wires that have never been run are worthless. I was told they were suppression wires when I got them. glad I checked. they've been on the engine for three years never used.

Pico
12-24-2010, 11:59 AM
I'll check the part number when I get home from work Tim,
I remember buying them at Kragens (O'Rilleys now) I think I paid $90.00 for the set

lostforawhile
12-24-2010, 12:13 PM
I'll check the part number when I get home from work Tim,
I remember buying them at Kragens (O'Rilleys now) I think I paid $90.00 for the set

ouch, I'll just get a set of accel 3010's when i'm able to after the holiday, they look the same but are suppression core

Bglad420
12-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Just get NGK's. There's no need to run bigger wire than stock on these cars. Or any Honda for that matter. All the guys running 500hp+ turbo cars run OEM NGK's.

lostforawhile
12-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Just get NGK's. There's no need to run bigger wire than stock on these cars. Or any Honda for that matter. All the guys running 500hp+ turbo cars run OEM NGK's.

it's not a different wire diameter thats the problem, it's the fact i made these custom wire looms and stock wires won't fit, the accel are 7mm like stock, but you make them to custom length

Bglad420
12-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Why the hell would you need custom length? The stocks run just fine, neat and tidy the way they are. And they have enough room to adjust them anyways. Why dont you get some nylon spacers and split them and use them as spacers for your "custom" wire looms?

prince_frog
12-24-2010, 03:19 PM
this is off topic but i would appreciate it if someone can give me a little help. Im converting my automatic to a 5spd. but I got two starter, one is my automatic transmission and the other one is a 5spd starter that came off of a carbuerated engine. Which one would work? I also heard you can usually switch parts to allow it to work, all information welcome.

lostforawhile
12-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Why the hell would you need custom length? The stocks run just fine, neat and tidy the way they are. And they have enough room to adjust them anyways. Why dont you get some nylon spacers and split them and use them as spacers for your "custom" wire looms?

i made nice spacers already, I put about ten hours of work into the looms

lostforawhile
12-24-2010, 07:40 PM
I had already bought the wires to replace the factory ones, so i made the looms to fit the wires, about 60 hours of work into the valve cover, the trim pieces on it and the wire looms. even down to changing the valve cover studs to threaded fasteners so I could use button head screws. that way I could fit the center cover into the middle of the valve cover. why would I use plain plastic spacers with all the work i've done? The set was around 25 bucks and that gave me enough wires to make two complete sets, unfortunately they weren't shielded wires which I was told they were. the shielded set looks just like them but with different cores, and they are required to use the MSD box and coil.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/S4020810.jpg?t=1293248211

prince_frog
12-24-2010, 09:40 PM
man nice picture of your setup. Thats pretty cool how many steel braided lines you have.

Bglad420
12-25-2010, 12:58 AM
IMO it looks like a cluster fuck of crap. I don't understand why you ruin perfectly good engineering...... I'm going to put my foot in my mouth.

lostforawhile
12-25-2010, 12:20 PM
IMO it looks like a cluster fuck of crap. I don't understand why you ruin perfectly good engineering...... I'm going to put my foot in my mouth.

you have an sei, no perfectly good engineering in a 25 year old carb setup with these things. well Merry christmas anyway hope you have a better one!!