PDA

View Full Version : Will a perfomance exhaust for a 90-93 fit?

neo_blue_accord
12-25-2010, 06:16 AM
Hey will a performance exhaust from a 90-93 honda accord fit on a 89 Lx? Will it bolt on?

88lxi-shortram
12-25-2010, 07:46 PM
as far as i know it will not bolt on. but why would you want a cb7 exhaust? there are exhausts for our cars. pasesetter makes full exhausts from the headers back so theres stuff out there that doesnt need modification and is made for our cars. also i think obx makes some decent headers but they need some sort of bracket mods. look around dude ebay is your best bet

neo_blue_accord
12-26-2010, 05:02 AM
Thanks man. Yeah I know pacesetter sells exhaust parts for my car but I was just curious. I'm thinking I'm gonna build a dual exhaust anyway. I have the mufflers just need to get the piping and weld it up.

scars_of_carma
12-26-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm thinking I'm gonna build a dual exhaust anyway. I have the mufflers just need to get the piping and weld it up.

Why dual?

Vanilla Sky
12-26-2010, 02:21 PM
There's no reason to go dual exhaust on any 4 cylinder engine, ever.

Find someone that's getting rid of a Pacesetter exhaust, cut the muffler off, and have someone weld a good muffler on. You can often get them if you're looking hard enough for dirt cheap. I think mine was $125 with a good muffler.

scars_of_carma
12-26-2010, 03:52 PM

I didn't wanna assume he didn't know that, its rude. Thats why I asked lol ...maybe he just wants duals for looks?

MessyHonda
12-26-2010, 04:01 PM
go custom...i paid 150 bucks for a guy to weld up 2.25 inch pipe to my magnaflow

charliekuney
12-26-2010, 06:51 PM

S2k? :shrug:

ghettogeddy
12-26-2010, 08:35 PM
S2k? :shrug:

higher displacement also smaller mufflers
http://image.hondatuningmagazine.com/f/9055511/0407ht_s2000_25_z.jpg

it can be done but on our cars its useless and would prolly cause worse performance

lostforawhile
12-26-2010, 08:36 PM
they ran duals on volkswagon bugs for years, plenty less horsepower then our cars, they were tied into one muffler though, it was two runners off each side of the engine dumping into one muffler, it's mostly for looks and a unique sound, if they are designed right they won't hurt performance, but they won't help it more then a good single system.

lostforawhile
12-26-2010, 08:37 PM
higher displacement also smaller mufflers
http://image.hondatuningmagazine.com/f/9055511/0407ht_s2000_25_z.jpg

it can be done but on our cars its useless and would prolly cause worse performance

S2000 is a two liter like our car at least the first ones were, thats what the 2000 stands for in the name 2000 cc , a little bigger maby but not much

ghettogeddy
12-26-2010, 08:44 PM
S2000 is a two liter like our car at least the first ones were, thats what the 2000 stands for in the name 2000 cc , a little bigger maby but not much

i though they were larger for some reason lol the ap2 is 2.2l

lostforawhile
12-26-2010, 08:48 PM
i though they were larger for some reason lol the ap2 is 2.2l
they used an insane redline and vtec plus a better intake system and more valves to generate power. A lot of people here with forced induction have made as much power as the good S2000 builds, The A20 just needs the forced induction to overcome the worse flow in the heads. if someone was able to build one with internals that could stand the redline of those cars I think the A20 blocks are much stronger.

I think the later ones were 2.2 but the originals were a 2.0, someone correct me if i'm wrong but I believe that generation S2000 and the accords were the only 2.0 liter Hondas?

I was correct Ap1 was 1997 CC

AP1

Production 1999–2003
Assembly Takanezawa R&D Plant in Tochigi, Japan
Engine(s) 2.0L I4
Height 50.6 in (1285 mm)

The S2000 was introduced in 1999 for the 2000 model year and was given the chassis designation of AP1. It featured a front engine, rear-wheel drive layout with power being delivered by a 1,997 cc (122 cu in) F20C inline 4 cylinder DOHC-VTEC engine producing from 175 hp (130 kW) to 250 PS (184 kW), and from 153 lbf·ft (207 N·m) to 22.2 kg·m (218 N·m) of torque depending on the target market.[5] The engine is mated to a six-speed manual transmission and Torsen limited slip differential. The S2000 achieved what Honda claimed as the "top level performance in the world" for a 2-liter naturally aspirated engine.

Vanilla Sky
12-26-2010, 09:05 PM
The CRV was a 2.0 for a long time.

What you described on the Beetle is a single exhaust with long secondaries. Then again, I've not known of too many Beetle owners to be all over actual performance.

lostforawhile
12-26-2010, 09:10 PM
The CRV was a 2.0 for a long time.

What you described on the Beetle is a single exhaust with long secondaries. Then again, I've not known of too many Beetle owners to be all over actual performance.

they used to be a very big deal with performance, with aftermarket blocks, internals, heads, FI etc, you could make serious power. the idea was to bolt in a monster motor in a super light car, I remember a guy in Mableton Georgia in the '90s who was 400 horsepower with a supercharger in a street car, billet block and heads etc. It wasn't uncommon to drop 10 grand in a tricked out beetle just in the engine, thats what started NOPI, I remember it at the beginning, well not at the very beginning but when it really expanded ,anyway back on topic

Vanilla Sky
12-26-2010, 09:15 PM
they used to be a very big deal with performance...

Edd Zachary.

stat1K
12-27-2010, 09:17 AM
custom from a good muffler shop will yeild a better result than most of the bolt on or hacked up bolt ons from other cars.

most places will build you a decent setup for under 200. even less if you provide the muffler to be used. in the case of these cars that's a lot better option as you can't find used parts in abundance like you could for say a civic. i purchased my dc sports exhaust on my crx by trading a stock exhaust and 80 bucks. that's a pretty good deal in my book. i still have it adapted to my sedan here 2.5 years later.

the s2000 isn't really a true dual exhaust either, it's a single mid pipe that Y's into to twin loop mufflers. there's was more for looks, several people run a single exit aftermarket piece on the s2k's. lost, i always thought that the 2000 meant because it was a revival of the S-series cars but in the new millenium (2000). it makes sense as the displacement also though.

The S2000 is named for its engine displacement of 2 L, carrying on in the tradition of the S500, S600, and S800 roadsters of the 1960s.

looks like you hit it!

lostforawhile
12-27-2010, 09:27 AM
custom from a good muffler shop will yeild a better result than most of the bolt on or hacked up bolt ons from other cars.

most places will build you a decent setup for under 200. even less if you provide the muffler to be used. in the case of these cars that's a lot better option as you can't find used parts in abundance like you could for say a civic. i purchased my dc sports exhaust on my crx by trading a stock exhaust and 80 bucks. that's a pretty good deal in my book. i still have it adapted to my sedan here 2.5 years later.

the s2000 isn't really a true dual exhaust either, it's a single mid pipe that Y's into to twin loop mufflers. there's was more for looks, several people run a single exit aftermarket piece on the s2k's. lost, i always thought that the 2000 meant because it was a revival of the S-series cars but in the new millenium (2000). it makes sense as the displacement also though.

looks like you hit it!the later ones went to the 2.2, AP2
until they stopped making it, they did that to lower the rpms a bit, because a lot of people were scared of the sport bike like revs the 2.0 needed to make power

stat1K
12-27-2010, 09:57 AM
yeah i'm pretty well informed on the performance and technical aspects of the s2000 just not the lore lol...

car is a work of art in my opinion. sad to see it go, much like the nsx. honda of the 2010+ decade is seriously losing my respect as a brand. there was a time when i said i'd never purchase anything that wasn't a honda, with some of the newer vehicles i see coming out from nissan and even the "shitty" brands like kia and hyundai have way more appeal to me.

but back to topic lol...

charliekuney
12-27-2010, 12:52 PM
...with some of the newer vehicles i see coming out from nissan and even the "shitty" brands like kia and hyundai have way more appeal to me.

You, sir, need a swift slap upon the face.

stat1K
12-27-2010, 01:56 PM
i'll accept that assessment, but tell me you'd take a bloated accord nowadays or a civic for that matter?

the si is nice, but it's not worth the 22k that i see them selling for.

scars_of_carma
12-27-2010, 04:18 PM
I know a bit about S2000's. I helped build an AP2 S2000 SCCA racecar and was crew chief on it after for a few seasons.

We ran a comptech catback and intake on ours which didn't really make any significant gains on the dyno. Its true what they say about S2K's, Honda got it right bolt ons dont make enough difference to justify the cost. The rules didn't allow us to tamper with the ECU or run a piggyback which probably would have made a bigger difference.

As far as I could tell Honda ran duals to keep the noise down on the F20/22 which rips like a rotary almost. Same with an FC RX7, their mufflers were too small to run a single. In the later FD, mazda ran a huuuge muffler on it to run a single quiet enough. With sound limits at tracks like Laguna Seca we couldn't really afford to experiment running a louder single exhaust and get disqualified.

charliekuney
12-27-2010, 10:56 PM
i'll accept that assessment, but tell me you'd take a bloated accord nowadays or a civic for that matter?

the si is nice, but it's not worth the 22k that i see them selling for.

Of course I wouldn't, but I sure as hell wouldn't take a second glance at a Hyundai. Just wait another few years when today's Hyundais and Kias are old enough to show just how shitty they really are.

stat1K
12-28-2010, 06:34 AM
the genesis uses the same motor as the evo... i'm not talking getting an accent/elantra/sonata (well maybe a sonata).

the kia forte koup is probably the best looking compact coupe that i've seen come out in a while, reminds me a bit of a more sporty tc.

i won't buy either because my next planned car purchase is an s2000 in about 2.5 years. i say planned because who knows when i might wrap the sedan around something, rofl...

charliekuney
12-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Yeah, saying a Hyundai uses a Mitsubish engine makes it sound all the more reliable. ;) I'll have to agree, though, the Forte Koup is a very sexy car, especially in black. The 5-door isn't too bad, either. The sedan went through the ugly tunnel of death.

Don't wait too long on the S2000: they're going to get really expensive in the next few years.

stat1K
12-30-2010, 06:02 AM
they won't get more expensive they'll stay the same at best.

there were several CR editions in 2009 that left the lot for about 15k under value because the dealer NEEDED to move them. There are about 3 guys i know of out here that race in the NASA events and autocross that bought theirs for 20k, price tag from the dealer was 33599.99.

As the s2000 gets older it will be valued much like the last gen of preludes. the main problem i see from waiting a bit longer is neglected maintenance on the ap1's. most people just ignore the rear end on rwd cars. in 2.5 years when i'm ready to drop the cash on one, the 09's will only be 4-5 year old cars. i'm not worried about it.

gp02a0083
12-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Yeah, saying a Hyundai uses a Mitsubish engine makes it sound all the more reliable. ;) I'll have to agree, though, the Forte Koup is a very sexy car, especially in black. The 5-door isn't too bad, either. The sedan went through the ugly tunnel of death.

Don't wait too long on the S2000: they're going to get really expensive in the next few years.

i believe that dodge has done that in the past too, i remember seeing an avenger (mid to late 90's) that was a co-workers and it had a mitsu engine in it.

i just wish that the s2k was available in a real hardtop, i am really not fond of convertibles / targa's. They tend to be heavier than the hardtop counterparts and they flex a lot more

stat1K
12-30-2010, 07:25 AM
True about the hardtops, i'm not a huge fan of targa/convertables either, but the s2k's hard top does look good compared to a lot of others i've seen.

especially the mugen carbon hard top :)

charliekuney
12-30-2010, 01:36 PM
i believe that dodge has done that in the past too, i remember seeing an avenger (mid to late 90's) that was a co-workers and it had a mitsu engine in it.

Uh, all of the Avengers I see on Craigslist aren't running.

i just wish that the s2k was available in a real hardtop, i am really not fond of convertibles / targa's. They tend to be heavier than the hardtop counterparts and they flex a lot more

Valid point.

Vanilla Sky
12-30-2010, 03:32 PM
They're not Mitsu engines, but they're on the same architecture. That motor was developed with Mitsubishi, and lots of manufacturers use it.

lostforawhile
12-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Uh, all of the Avengers I see on Craigslist aren't running.

Valid point.remember the Chrysler Lebarron with the mitsushit engine? leaked more oil then the exon Valdeze, complete piece of junk

Vanilla Sky
12-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Dude, those motors were good, and they were equipped with an active oiling system. It kept the underside of the cars from rusting out.

Have you worked on a 250,000 mile A20? They leak as much oil as the Deepwater Horizon.

stat1K
12-30-2010, 05:40 PM
^ yeah, if you neglect it anything will leak.

stat1K
12-30-2010, 05:41 PM
They're not Mitsu engines, but they're on the same architecture. That motor was developed with Mitsubishi, and lots of manufacturers use it.

right, it's a replica of the evo motor, it's not made BY mitsubishi, but it's nearly the same motor.

the evo bottom end is pretty nice so i don't think the genesis would do too bad in a longevity test.

lostforawhile
12-30-2010, 08:20 PM
^ yeah, if you neglect it anything will leak.

the lebarrons with the mitsushit engines leaked on the showroom floor

stat1K
12-31-2010, 07:54 AM
ss or no proof.

scars_of_carma
01-03-2011, 10:19 AM
The S2K is plenty rigid, it has a different unibody structure then a hardtop to make up for the lack of one. Thats why those things are so cramped and tiny inside, the structure is overkill.

Its not the same as a convertible version of a hardtop car. Those will tend to be less rigid. But I agree I wish there was a hardtop version. They made a hardtop version of a miata in japan it looked very good.

lostforawhile
01-03-2011, 10:25 AM
http://www.hondanews.eu/img/directnewsimg/Open_Body_Car_Structure_files/image001.jpg

Vanilla Sky
01-03-2011, 10:27 AM
The only real problems I ever have encountered with a LeBaron was purely electrical.

lostforawhile
01-03-2011, 10:28 AM
The only real problems I ever have encountered with a LeBaron was purely electrical.that was a very bad series of cars for chrysler

1813mdw
01-03-2011, 01:24 PM
the k-cars were great little cars imo. just had to make sure you got the 2.2L american motor(not mitsu). and if got a turbo k get one with the garret turbo(also not mitsu). thedodgegarage.com has got some great info on them. i couldn't believe they were able to make over 300 horses fairly easily with 8valve heads and hybrid stock turbos.

neo_blue_accord
01-04-2011, 01:31 PM
wow we totally got off topic fast. Oh well. Anyways the dual Idea is out of the picture cause I dont want to cut my bumper or buy a new one with cut outs for a dual system. Plus I'm keeping it looking stock somewhat.

charliekuney
01-04-2011, 03:16 PM
They made a hardtop version of a miata in japan it looked very good.

omnomnomnom

http://www.clubmiatamonteregie.ca/mc11.jpg