PDA

View Full Version : the difference

prince_frog
12-25-2010, 09:25 AM
ok so im doing a 5spd swap but stuck on lots of thing. My car is an 89 accord lxi sedan, automatic. I just bought a entire 5spd swap off a 88 accord carbuerated. I just wanted to know what to keep on. The 5spd swap parts i got from the 88 accord carb is:

flywheel
starter
transmission
clutch cable
clutch kit (on the way)
clutch/gas/brake pedal assembly
ECU ( which I heard won't work)
Driver side axle

please help me out i am total stuck.

AccordB20A
12-25-2010, 02:28 PM
the ecu you got will probably be for the carb so it wont work with the efi, you wont need the ecu anyways as the auto one will run your car perfect. other than that you need the gear shift lever and associated linkages and the metal piece that bolts in the hole in the floor where you removed the auto shifter from.

prince_frog
12-25-2010, 05:51 PM
yeah forgot about that, I have the shift linkage too. So I should be set then correct? If I run into any problem is it ok for me to PM you ACCORDB20A?

shepherd79
12-27-2010, 07:08 AM
the biggest thing about 5 speed swaps is wirring. you have add back up switch with is on 5 speed on the side of the trans and auto is on the shifter. Auto Efi ecu will work just fine with 5 speed, but still you may want to get 5 speed ecu from accord. when i did mine i also changed gauges out. i just didn't like the look of auto on the gauges. Or you can add overlay to cover it up.

lostforawhile
12-27-2010, 08:44 AM
the ecu is a little bit different, it will work but there are a few things different. all the wiring you need to hook up the backup light switch is in the harness for the old auto shifter, also if it's a later one, the clutch interlock, it's also in the same wiring, I may eventually swap this POS civic to a five speed and it's a lot harder then the accord, at least these cars have a cable clutch not hydraulic