PDA

View Full Version : Random Violent Shaking

Ajbent86
12-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Over the past few months I have had this problem, but recently it has become very frequent.

If I drive the car above 50 miles an hour I get a violent shudder after about 15 mins of driving. If I let off the throttle for a second, then keep driving at speed, it takes about another 5 to 10 mins before it will shutter again. But, when it does shutter again, it is just as violent as the previous time.

Letting off of the gas for a split second then resuming normal driving ALWAYS corrects the issue for a small period of time.

The entire dash and steering wheel shake very badly when it happens. It makes my passengers get very scared when it happens. So i need to figure out what needs fixed soon.

I have already had the wheels and tires rotated and balanced, but the issue persists.

I dont even know where to start looking for this problem.

Tech details: 89 Accord DX 4-Door 5-Speed 2.0 Carb with 202k miles.

Demon1024
12-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Check radius rod bushings first imo. then ball joints. If it's shaking that bad they prolly both will need to be done

88lxi-shortram
12-26-2010, 06:12 PM
check all of those and then check motor mounts. mine did that to and i didnt mind it and when i took my motor out my moutns literally fell apart. so that could be a symptom

Ajbent86
12-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Check radius rod bushings first imo. then ball joints. If it's shaking that bad they prolly both will need to be done

I'm not sure i know what the Radius Rod Bushing are, or even how to check them.

2ndGenGuy
12-26-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm going to guess axles. I had that exact problem. It cropped up on a trip to California, I stopped and had my wheels rebalanced and everything checked over at a shop half way through the trip. Still had the nasty shaking that would go away after some letting off the gas. Eventually, I replaced the axles and like magic my car drove smooth as silk.

Ajbent86
12-27-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm going to guess axles. I had that exact problem. It cropped up on a trip to California, I stopped and had my wheels rebalanced and everything checked over at a shop half way through the trip. Still had the nasty shaking that would go away after some letting off the gas. Eventually, I replaced the axles and like magic my car drove smooth as silk.

What would go bad on the axels to cause that shaking? The CV Joints? I replaced the axels because of failed CV boots about 5 years ago. Would it be abnormal for them to need replaced again already?

2ndGenGuy
12-27-2010, 09:33 PM
If they were rebuilds, I suppose its possible. But knowing that, I would say it's less likely than something like a bushing as others suggested. My guess is the wear in the CV joints causes the axle to be able to move inside the joint, and the centrifugal force throws the axle to one side of the stub causing it to vibrate. I wouldn't give a rebuilt axle much credit. I've had many horrors replacing axles with rebuilt garbage.

Dr_Snooz
12-27-2010, 10:46 PM
My rebuilts were no good. They clacked like old dentures around every corner. Never shook though. I would get that looked at real quick. It's a very atypical issue and makes me think something important is loose or getting ready to fail badly.

Let us know what you find out.

Warren 88 Accord
03-14-2011, 07:23 PM
try to take the tires off the rims and check for any foriegn meterial