PDA

View Full Version : factory 1988-1989 LX-i coupe speakers

charliekuney
12-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Does anyone know what the brand, model number, and specifications are for the factory (Panasonic?) LX-i coupe speakers are? The next time I go to the junkyard I can look at the fronts, but the rears are gone out of both LX-i coupes there. I'm not sure if they differ from the DX coupe, so that information helps as well.

charliekuney
12-27-2010, 12:19 AM
NOTHING!?

loljk, take your time.

MessyHonda
12-27-2010, 12:38 AM
if memory severs me right...paper speakers that said honda...25w

frantik
12-27-2010, 11:36 AM
just get some cheap 6x9s for the back.. you don't want the OEM speakers. chances are by now most of the cones on them have turned to dust lol.. i know that was the case on my old speakers

charliekuney
12-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Right now I have year-old Sony's all around which were pretty expensive, but if I find a nice set of factory speakers, I'm trying to put the car back to stock. I don't listen to music when I drive.

DBMaster
12-27-2010, 12:59 PM
I replaced the original rears in my Coupe in 1999. The originals were actually "dual cone" design, which should not be confused with coaxial. They lacked the foam suspension found on the front speakers. When I replaced the OEM stereo with a more powerful unit the original rear speakers couldn't handle the bass. My current speakers are a $100 pair of Clarion coaxials with coated paper and foam suspension. They sound pretty good after ten years. The thing you have to watch out for when replacing the rears is that the plastic "lift ring" around the speaker frame cannot be too high if you want the speakers to fit into the factory enclosures. Some very basic 6x9's ought to suit your needs. I believe that Wal Mart carries a line of "factory replacement" speakers that are almost exactly like what came in the car.

Dr_Snooz
12-27-2010, 08:39 PM
The thing you have to watch out for when replacing the rears is that the plastic "lift ring" around the speaker frame cannot be too high if you want the speakers to fit into the factory enclosures.

This is correct. I had to grind out that lip when I put my Polks in.

There's nothing to gain by putting the stock stereo back in. All those components have far exceeded their finite lifespan. To keep them working from here would require a complete overhaul by a qualified repair service and, of course, a lot of money. They were never good enough originally to justify the expense. You'd only want to do it if you were doing a numbers matching frame up restoration and I don't think any of us is at that point yet.

I ditched my stereo long ago because the volume knob in the deck kept making static. I tried cleaning it up with contact cleaner and that only made it worse. I ended up losing all volume eventually. The Alpine deck I have now was a quantum leap forward. When I replaced the stock speakers, they were off-brand, low-grade stuff and had long since disintegrated.

If you do it anyway, let us know what you find.

MessyHonda
12-28-2010, 06:37 PM
yeah sometimes pepboys will have like cheap 6by9 speakers for like 29.99

forrest89sei
12-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Well I don't know if it helps but he's a scan from my 1989 Honda Accessories Brochure:

http://i53.tinypic.com/2k1tad.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/5pe6vs.jpg

This shows you what speaker designs and decks honda offered.

just about any aftermarket speaker is going to be better then 22 year old oem speakers, I mean lightning audio or sony explode 6X9's can be had for $29-$39 at your local walmart

charliekuney
12-28-2010, 07:16 PM
I have my reasons for getting the factory speakers. Putting the car back to stock is something I want to do, but not for a full chassis-up rebuild or anything. ;) I already have Xplod all around.

Dr_Snooz
12-28-2010, 08:37 PM
What about looking around for the Bose system from an SE-i? I'm not a fan of Bose, but it would probably sound better than the stock stuff. It even came with a nice amp too.

Good luck with the project. Hope you find good stuff.

charliekuney
12-28-2010, 09:21 PM
The Bose system isn't stock to the LX-i and the mounting places have to be modified to fit the larger speakers.

Why the way: what's the difference between a dual-cone and a coaxial? Other than the obvious dual vs. single cone part.

forrest89sei
12-29-2010, 05:39 PM
The Bose system isn't stock to the LX-i and the mounting places have to be modified to fit the larger speakers.

Why the way: what's the difference between a dual-cone and a coaxial? Other than the obvious dual vs. single cone part.

Coaxial speakers contain two elements: a woofer, to reproduce the low notes, and a tweeter, mounted inside the woofer, for the highs.

Where as A dual cone speaker uses an inexpensive design in which a small "whizzer" cone attached to the center of the woofer reproduces the high frequencies.

Thats why 2 Way and 3 Way Speakers are better, There Coaxial Speakers

charliekuney
12-29-2010, 06:16 PM
*By the way

Yes, I speakeh teh Engrish.