PDA

View Full Version : EPIC... need opinion

88lxi-shortram
12-27-2010, 06:05 AM
i need an opinion quick. most of yal know im going to lower the car on coilovers but yal have been saying i need btter struts. and i found some monroe struts for the front for like 50 bucks but theyre going to be gone soon so i need to know if they would be good for the drop?

stat1K
12-27-2010, 08:14 AM
nope.

Pico
12-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Garbage

88lxi-shortram
12-27-2010, 09:04 AM
ok glad i didnt buy them thx guys :)

stat1K
12-27-2010, 09:18 AM
revalve billstiens, konis, or at the very least some tokico blues... (blues are shit in my opinion).

what kind of coilovers are you planning on? just sleeves i know but what brand? ebay?

88lxi-shortram
12-27-2010, 11:13 AM
lol ebay... im on a strict budget so itll do til later

ghettogeddy
12-27-2010, 11:44 AM
spend the 120 on some drop zone coil-overs dont get those ebay shits
http://www.slickcar.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=1679

your gona need something for the rear perch i used 3" floor flange's form home depot

88lxi-shortram
12-27-2010, 12:31 PM
what o you mean by for the back? are they not tall enogh or...? theyre made for the car so why would you need anything?

stat1K
12-27-2010, 12:52 PM
the drop zones he linked to are made for a civic, that's why he said that i'm sure.

drop zone is no better than ebay. the name wouldn't justify the difference. i've seen nice ebay kits and i've seen horridly awful drop zone struts that the perch itself broke clean from the strut body. so figure that out?

do you have the ability to make extended top hats? running the ebay coils with stock struts and extended top hats will give it a little more life. even if it looks cool you'll hate the way it rides, i'd avise against any type of lowering without proper equipment.

88lxi-shortram
12-27-2010, 01:24 PM
im getting new struts so stocks are leaving. but im on a strict budget and i need cheap stuff that will last a while. but i also want decent quality with decent price. i would love to get the coilover/strut package for less than 500 if pssible

stat1K
12-27-2010, 01:58 PM
why not save a bit more and get a full bodied, i know it's been suggested to you in the past, it's definitely worth the difference man, they're paired to each other so it's not a guessing game.

650 typically will net you the ksports... that difference is worth it in my opinion.

for konis you're looking at a good amount and most sets are used so you're taking a gamble, bill's need revalved to lower so you'd have to get that work done, it just seems pointless to me. this is my appeal with the civic, i paid 250 for skunk2 struts and 50 for my lowering springs. car rides perfect.

88lxi-shortram
12-27-2010, 03:46 PM
650 typically will net you the ksports....

ksports for 650? where?

mushroom_toy
12-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Get the monroes and ill set you up with the tophat mod. You should ride in my car someday and see what you think. Im budget minded, and new oem-like struts are fine. You wont blow em as long as you have some kind of tophat mod. As for the ksports, each strut is not individually dynoed or load tested, or was the case earlier this year for our cars anyway.

ghettogeddy
12-27-2010, 09:35 PM
the drop zones he linked to are made for a civic, that's why he said that i'm sure.

drop zone is no better than ebay. the name wouldn't justify the difference. i've seen nice ebay kits and i've seen horridly awful drop zone struts that the perch itself broke clean from the strut body. so figure that out?

do you have the ability to make extended top hats? running the ebay coils with stock struts and extended top hats will give it a little more life. even if it looks cool you'll hate the way it rides, i'd avise against any type of lowering without proper equipment.

i haven't had a single issue with my set.

if you have 500 to drop that should be plenty to get you a decent setup

88lxi-shortram
12-28-2010, 06:22 AM
I'd actually love to come ride In your car. And since you're reasonably close going up there Is doable. And I your serious I'll take that tophat mod if you're willing to help. I just need to get mine running first. But hopefully that'll be soon

stat1K
12-28-2010, 06:32 AM
i haven't had a single issue with my set.

if you have 500 to drop that should be plenty to get you a decent setup

It SHOULD be plenty, but i guess my thoughts on decent is different than yours.

WITH a top-hat mod the stock struts will do fine, this is true. if you have someone willing to do the tophats for you, as mentioned by mushroom, go for it.

i'm glad you haven't had an issue with your set.

88, i'm trying to get in touch with my friend about the coilovers to see if he can still get them from ksport. i have a call into him and he's checking on it as we speak.

i'll let you know what the price is now, last time i called him around a year ago when this news broke it was 650 shipped. most of the prices i'm seeing now are like 785 on the retail sites so who knows if they realized they weren't making enough since no one orders them. i'll post up when i find out.

88lxi-shortram
12-28-2010, 06:41 AM
Thx alot but no rush. I'm still penny pinching for motor parts and everything I'll need to get my car running. Then I'll need a windshield so I can even get the car registered. Then comes the emissions... Ugh thats what's worrying me. I was going to replace the cat while it was running but couldn't get it to come off. Lol I soaked them in on blaster and still nothing. So that's another problem another day..

stat1K
12-28-2010, 07:06 AM
had the same problem on an 02 accord, i took the whole exhaust down and cut the bolts with an angle grinder. it was annoying.

mushroom_toy
12-28-2010, 08:36 AM
I'd actually love to come ride In your car. And since you're reasonably close going up there Is doable. And I your serious I'll take that tophat mod if you're willing to help. I just need to get mine running first. But hopefully that'll be soon

Yeah just let me know. Right now Im jobless so I have a lot of extra time.

PeterNtheWolf
12-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Thx alot but no rush. I'm still penny pinching for motor parts and everything I'll need to get my car running. Then I'll need a windshield so I can even get the car registered. Then comes the emissions... Ugh thats what's worrying me. I was going to replace the cat while it was running but couldn't get it to come off. Lol I soaked them in on blaster and still nothing. So that's another problem another day..

you can cut with a saws all and put a clamp style cat...

88lxi-shortram
12-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Yeah just let me know. Right now Im jobless so I have a lot of extra time.

ill take you up on that man ill just PM you for the address before i go up there and ill check it out.

88lxi-shortram
12-28-2010, 02:21 PM
you can cut with a saws all and put a clamp style cat...

im just going to cut it for now and drive it home with just the headers and downpipe. i live down the street from my school so itll be ok from there. after that im upgrading to pasesetter exhaust so ill be scraping my old exhaust or selling it to someone or something. the main problem is that the guy who owned it before me just bought one of those cheap universal weld on cats and welded it to the original flange which left everything all out of whack and unproportional. long story short. he shouldnt be allowed to weld anything.

88lxi-shortram
01-01-2011, 07:45 AM
one question about the tophat mod. i know we do it in the front but would we also be doing it in the back?also, where would i get the supplies for it? and how much?

88lxi-shortram
01-01-2011, 05:00 PM
would i have to mod a set from another car or make it?

1813mdw
01-02-2011, 05:25 PM
they use civic struts in the rear which are shorter and don't bottom out. i do not remember what years civics fit.

88lxi-shortram
01-02-2011, 05:32 PM
i know mushrooms running EF struts... im almost sure. but what would i need to do to get the to fit

1813mdw
01-02-2011, 05:38 PM
i'm lookin for a thread for ya(i'm also interested in which years)

88lxi-shortram
01-02-2011, 05:45 PM
i think all efs have the same setup and the EFs are 88-91

1813mdw
01-02-2011, 05:52 PM
the thread is called "tophat mod: version 2". sorry; i haven't figured out how to post links yet lol

and yeah its ef hatch or sedans. they have the same 2bolt setup as our cars

88lxi-shortram
01-02-2011, 05:54 PM
ive read through that but thats not the tophat mushrooms gonna do. ill try to post a pic of the way he did it. the thread your talking about is a more oe look to it because i think he was trying to keep his insurance legit.

1813mdw
01-02-2011, 06:31 PM
i'm almost positive tophats are not needed for the rear because they make lowering shocks for the civic along with them being shorter to begin with. i could be wrong(wouldn't be the 1st time). remember civic parts are cheaper because everyone has them

are you talking about the tophat using lagbolts?

mushroom_toy
01-03-2011, 04:12 AM
Tophats using carriage bolts, and yeah none are needed for the rear.

stat1K
01-03-2011, 09:36 AM
i think all efs have the same setup and the EFs are 88-91

no they're not, ef's realistically are the same from 89-91 as 88's use boxed rear lower control arms. meaning the lower mount would be an eyelet rather than a fork. so you want to be sure not to order anything for an 88.

also, the rear struts that are "lowering struts" i have yet to see. all rear struts from EF's and DA's that i have ever had are the same length but are valved differently. Skunk2 makes a set of struts for the EF that utilize a smaller front strut, it's about 1" shorter than stock struts. the rear, however, is the exact same length as a stock rear strut for both the DA and the EF.

just some clarification.

1813mdw
01-03-2011, 02:54 PM
no they're not, ef's realistically are the same from 89-91 as 88's use boxed rear lower control arms. meaning the lower mount would be an eyelet rather than a fork. so you want to be sure not to order anything for an 88.

also, the rear struts that are "lowering struts" i have yet to see. all rear struts from EF's and DA's that i have ever had are the same length but are valved differently. Skunk2 makes a set of struts for the EF that utilize a smaller front strut, it's about 1" shorter than stock struts. the rear, however, is the exact same length as a stock rear strut for both the DA and the EF.

just some clarification.

and now i know:hs: